Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alignment Help Please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
So, the tie rod ends are finished as is the new installation of the strut. I know I should get an alignment, but didn't I only disturb the toe in (never disturbed the upper strut mount)?

Anyway, I went to a local Porsche shop (SSI in Baltimore) that has a great reputation. They wanted two hours labor, which I figured would be about $150-$170. They wanted $240. So, I went to a regular tire store (Merchants) that does a lot of work for me. They said they couldn't do it because their sensors won't fit on my 9" BBS rear wheels that are barely tucked under my flares. So, I guess I need an older shop with older stye equipment? What exactly am I looking for?

Also, she used to pull pretty strongly to the right, but since I did the tie rod ends, she's much better...barely any pull at all. The steering wheel is ever so slightly cocked to the right, but I can take care of that. Should I just let it go and watch the tire wear? Not in love with these Dunlops anyway. Whattaya think?
Cupomeat
Damn, I have been here before and kicked myself for not having spent the $160 [at the time] for an alignment. I killed my front tires in no time and the car just wasn't as much fun as I was scrubbing the hell out of the fronts, losing that lovely 914 handling balance.

Get the $240 alignment and you'll enjoy driving the car more as it will handle better.

tradisrad
$240 is not too expensive, but it's at the top end of the price range.
I think that after you have an alignment your car will be a different beast. In addition to your toe, they will adjust your camber, etc.
Bottom line is get it aligned properly. You have how much $$$ into the car; don't cheap out now....
detoxcowboy
$240 is exactly the price for whom I use below for 4 wheel allighment.. plus $120 hr. is the standard Porsche shop fee for an hour of labor..

http://www.hergesheimer.com/porsche_wheel_alignment.html

Porsche 4 Wheel Alignment
"Horsepower for the Turns" A full range of tuning options and modifications are available for the Porsche chassis, both old and new. Our 4 wheel High Precision Alignment rack with Lasers, electronic scales, bump steer gauges, kinematic gauges, and turn plates, allows us to precision tune the chassis for street use, track use or any combination in between.
Bartlett 914
I just took my car for alignment. He had a little trouble getting his sensors on my wheels. He spent about 40 minutes on the front. The rear also needs it but I didn't have any shims with me. I will have the rear done later. $90.00 for about an hours labor. Cheaper than another set of tires.
Joe Owensby
After a complete rebuild, I aligned my car myself. Since then, I have about 15,000 miles on it so far with no problems. I used the string method that is described somewhere on this board to align the toe in for both front and rear. Instead of buying the smart string set up, I just fabricated one out of boards, etc. It only took an hour or so- less time than it would have taken to drive it to a shop. I also bought one of the bubble type castor gauges and used it. I had also seen it recommended on this board. I think it was about $30 or so. My thoughts were that I could take my time, and get it probably as good if not better than an average shop that was in a hurry. I was able to set the alignment well within the specifications in the factory manual.

This all said, if you are looking for more than the factory specs provide, spend the money and go to one of the better equipped shops that do Porsches. JoeO
kenshapiro2002
Educate me...what is "better equipped"? What should I be looking/asking for from a shop?

QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Jun 25 2010, 09:51 PM) *

After a complete rebuild, I aligned my car myself. Since then, I have about 15,000 miles on it so far with no problems. I used the string method that is described somewhere on this board to align the toe in for both front and rear. Instead of buying the smart string set up, I just fabricated one out of boards, etc. It only took an hour or so- less time than it would have taken to drive it to a shop. I also bought one of the bubble type castor gauges and used it. I had also seen it recommended on this board. I think it was about $30 or so. My thoughts were that I could take my time, and get it probably as good if not better than an average shop that was in a hurry. I was able to set the alignment well within the specifications in the factory manual.

This all said, if you are looking for more than the factory specs provide, spend the money and go to one of the better equipped shops that do Porsches. JoeO

rick 918-S
You can reset your toe using the string method. First set the steering on center. Check to see your tie rods are close to level. Sometimes you need to add a bump steer kit. Specially if you lowered the car. Drape a string over both front tires with a plumb bob on each end. Position the plumb bobs as close to the floor as you can. Use a measuring tape on the floor to check your measurements front to rear. I think there is an article here someplace on doing this yourself.
ME733
.....The best method ,in your case is to PAY a PROFESSIONAL to ...square up, all four wheels,(to the chassis) set the camber on all four wheels,align the front ,AND rear, balance the cornor weights,and center the steering wheel.Find a Race car maintenance shop or chassis shop with some experience with the 914...Believe me that it,s worth any price to have a correct chassis setup.
kenshapiro2002
Just got a four wheel alignment form GT Performance in Edgewood MD. The owner, Gennad, has a full race team of 911s, and did the work himself. Ya'll were right...a whole new car! Total was $156 ! I'm thrilled.
tradisrad
cool.

It is very rare that I will not do the work my self, but alignment is one thing that is best left to those with the proper equipment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.