Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st post - help?!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
desmo900rider
Hi all, I've been lurking for a bit and finally joined! Hoping some of you can help me out with a question. I've been looking at 70's 911s for a year or 2 now, and have decided that what I want will cost me more than I can spend right now, so I started to look at 914s. From everything I've read, they sound like great cars, so I think it may be a good "transition" Porsche for me until I can someday buy one of the old Targas that I love. I'm looking for a car that will be a Sunday/nice weather driver, and maybe allow me to do an occasional track day or 2. My main concern is the car holding it's value though, I don't need to make money, I just need to not lose much, if any. I found locally what I think is a pretty good deal, and I'm going to look at and drive the car this weekend. Of course if I make an offer, I'll be getting a PPI first. I would love to hear everyone's opinion on the value, because I can't for the life of me figure out how 914 values work. 911 values make sense to me, but I'm still trying to figure out ow they work on 914s.

I'm looking at a 74 914 1.8L, with 48K org miles. Car is stock, and the current owner says no accidents, original miles, etc. Still has original L-jet, and he says it runs well, and he has replaced some small things, brake lines, push rod seals, some wiring, etc. No structural rust, some very minor bubbling in 2 spots on one door and the trunk lid. He is asking $4k. Assuming I don't have to put much into the car, does that sound like a good price?

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Mike
RJMII
welcome.png

914's handle better. smile.gif

Did you look at the jack points yourself? and the hell hole, and it's counter part on the other side of the engine compartment? now is not a good time to just trust a guy telling you 'no structural rust'; the bubbles show that water got under the paint somewhere.

Check the back window to see how well it sealed, look at the floorboards behind the seats.

If it turns out it really is just a tiny spot of rust (which I doubt is the case) $4k is a decent price. smile.gif

The value of these cars seems to have stayed constant since I started playing with them 15 years ago; and others claim the cars are getting really popular and the values are going up for good solid cars.
tornik550
I agree with the last post. I feel that 4k is a good price for what you mentioned.

My 2 cents-- I have had many different Porsches. I have had some 911s from the 70's, 80's and current. I just sold my daily driver (996) and my wifes daily driver (Cayenne Turbo). I had no problem getting rid of any of the 911's. I do not think that I could ever get rid of my 914. I absolutely love 914s. They are much more fun to drive and work on that 911s. I think you should check the car out, get a PPI and forget about 911s. Just my 2 cents.
rick 918-S
welcome.png Warning on a couple points. First once you drive the 914 you will likely realize the 914 handles better than a 911.

Some of us consider 911's donor cars for 914-6 conversions. Second a MI car showing rust through on the trunk lid above the lock (I assume) has far more rust issues than the lid.
Slide the seats forward and lift the carpet and check the floor pans. The rear window seal leaks allowing water to enter and rust the floor behind the seats. Look very carefully at the pocket ahead of the battery tray. Old lead acid batterys had water splashing on the top and diluted acid works on the pocket we lovingly call the hell hole. Eventually rust takes over and the car starts to sag closing the door gap. Remove the targa top, have your big buddy (friend over 250 lbs) sit in the passanger seat and see if the door opens without binding on the latch. We call it the big butt test. Also check it with the window up. Also stick your head under the car and look behind the rocker cover at the jack points. These rust. Also you will see the lower side of the rail below the hell hole. That will tell the story. Also I've been told the 1.8 are least desirable. Someone will recall why... confused24.gif

Good luck and post pics..... thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
zx-niner
If it really is rust-free, $4k is a very good price. But as cautioned, look for yourself at the key places. Nothing against sellers but they don't have as much reason to look as closely as the buyer does. Minor bubbling could be an indication of something deeper down. Bottomline, you'll make money on a $4,000 good running, original fuel injection, no rust, 48,000 mile 914.

I've got friends with his and her 911s who are always at me to upgrade from the 914. I ask them how many 911s have been made since 1965. And, oh yeah, they're still being made. There will never be any more 914s than there are now which is, what, maybe 5% of the 911 population. Why be ordinary? Own a 914.
EdwardBlume
welcome.png

A $4K 914 might easily become a $6K 914 depending on condition, while a $6K 914 might last you longer....

My $0.02....
bandjoey

Is it 48k or 148k? Any maintenance documents to look at? See if there's somebody close to do an inspection with U. 1.8's are fun just not fast. You'll love the car. Don't fall in love with the first one you look at. What else did I forget? agree.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(desmo900rider @ Jun 25 2010, 06:42 PM) *

Hi all, I've been lurking for a bit and finally joined! Hoping some of you can help me out with a question. I've been looking at 70's 911s for a year or 2 now, and have decided that what I want will cost me more than I can spend right now, so I started to look at 914s. From everything I've read, they sound like great cars, so I think it may be a good "transition" Porsche for me until I can someday buy one of the old Targas that I love. I'm looking for a car that will be a Sunday/nice weather driver, and maybe allow me to do an occasional track day or 2. My main concern is the car holding it's value though, I don't need to make money, I just need to not lose much, if any. I found locally what I think is a pretty good deal, and I'm going to look at and drive the car this weekend. Of course if I make an offer, I'll be getting a PPI first. I would love to hear everyone's opinion on the value, because I can't for the life of me figure out how 914 values work. 911 values make sense to me, but I'm still trying to figure out ow they work on 914s.

I'm looking at a 74 914 1.8L, with 48K org miles. Car is stock, and the current owner says no accidents, original miles, etc. Still has original L-jet, and he says it runs well, and he has replaced some small things, brake lines, push rod seals, some wiring, etc. No structural rust, some very minor bubbling in 2 spots on one door and the trunk lid. He is asking $4k. Assuming I don't have to put much into the car, does that sound like a good price?

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Mike

welcome.png

Careful Mike, you may just decide you don't want a squirelly tail-dragging 911 after all! Once you have Mid, you don't want Rear! bootyshake.gif

IMHO - hold off & search for a really nice 73-74 2.0 - there are several in the ads here & 914club & CL listings at latter, etc. The 2.0 will have 20-25% more power & torque than a 1.7 or 1.8, & most 73 2.0s will come "loaded" with the appearance & performance groups' options.

As bandjoey/Bill said - unless confirmed by a continuous string of service records - you need to assume that the odometer has turned over at least once, if not twice - esp. if it was/is a DD. So I add 100k or 200k until documented otherwise. If well cared for & maintained, the higher mileage isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
desmo900rider
WOW. What a fun little car. I like it!

I went and looked at the car this AM and it seems to me to be as described. From what I was able to see, no structural rust in any of the areas mentioned. I did see an invoice form 99 on the car which read it had 39K on it at the time, and judging from the look of the car, I have no reason to think he is hiding anything, it seems to make sense. I have a local Porsche guru shop (Automotive Techniques - Jeff Jones) lined up to to do a PPI on it this week. If that checks out, I think I may make an offer.

I would like to keep looking for a 2.0, but simply stated, I just don't have the time or money to look at cars out of state. Even with a PPI, I most likely wouldn't buy a car that I hadn't seen and driven, and locally there just aren't that many. I have to figure in my time to the equation, I have a 15 month old that I affectionately refer to as "the time sponge".

Thanks for the advise and I'll keep the board posted! It looks like from the comments above, $4K is a good price if this car is what it appears to be, which I should know after the PPI.

Thanks again for all the responses!
ripper911
I paid $3500 for mine and have since put at least another $6000 into it.
Still needs more, old cars need to be fixed so you have to expect a few things to be needed. But it is all worth it to drive a 914!
TJB/914
QUOTE(desmo900rider @ Jun 26 2010, 10:13 AM) *

WOW. What a fun little car. I like it!

I went and looked at the car this AM and it seems to me to be as described. From what I was able to see, no structural rust in any of the areas mentioned. I did see an invoice form 99 on the car which read it had 39K on it at the time, and judging from the look of the car, I have no reason to think he is hiding anything, it seems to make sense. I have a local Porsche guru shop (Automotive Techniques - Jeff Jones) lined up to to do a PPI on it this week. If that checks out, I think I may make an offer.

I would like to keep looking for a 2.0, but simply stated, I just don't have the time or money to look at cars out of state. Even with a PPI, I most likely wouldn't buy a car that I hadn't seen and driven, and locally there just aren't that many. I have to figure in my time to the equation, I have a 15 month old that I affectionately refer to as "the time sponge".

Thanks for the advise and I'll keep the board posted! It looks like from the comments above, $4K is a good price if this car is what it appears to be, which I should know after the PPI.

Thanks again for all the responses!

Hello Michigan neighbor from across town. popcorn[1].gif

Rick 918-S gave excellent advise & don't pull the trigger on the first 914 you look at. Take your time and find the best example that fits your wallet.

I don't like to get involved, because I don't have time to help you.
LEAD: 1975, 914 1.8 F.I lead on a local one I've seen it sitting for sale outside a body shop. The last time I saw it was about one week ago. Here is what I know.
The body shop started the restoration on a 1975, 914 with a lot of completed body work. The car is stripped of many parts and parts appear to be with the car. I like looking at a car in this condition because you can see things that are not covered up. The original owner died and the 914 was sitting in the body shop gathering lots of dust & dirt a number of years. It's in primer with some orig. paint showing (Sunflower Yellow). It needs the final sanding and paint. Body looked real solid with minor rust and the 1.8 engine with F.I. was in the car. The body shop said he could not get it running. I asked him what his asking price was, he said he would like $3,500 or ?? I told him it's a $1,500 car because it's not running and needs completion. I believe if someone offered a much lower price they would own it. They want to get it out of the shop. BTW: All 914's have some or lots of rust rolleyes.gif
Caution, be sure to ask if it has a clear title, I didn't ask.
517 Southfield Rd.
Lincoln Park, MI.
phone # (313) 383-1120

Good luck & forgot to say "Welcome" welcome.png

Tom

corsepervita
Completely ignoring all previous posts and skipping right to the point - Yay for Ducati!
kerensky
QUOTE(desmo900rider @ Jun 26 2010, 10:13 AM) *
...I have a local Porsche guru shop (Automotive Techniques - Jeff Jones) lined up to to do a PPI on it this week. If that checks out, I think I may make an offer....It looks like from the comments above, $4K is a good price if this car is what it appears to be, which I should know after the PPI.

If it checks out I think $4000 is a very good price.
desmo900rider
QUOTE(corsepervita @ Jun 26 2010, 02:22 PM) *

Completely ignoring all previous posts and skipping right to the point - Yay for Ducati!

Why thank you. 96 900SS/SP is my current bike and baby I'll never sell. Too clean, too pretty. I've owned a few more, and just sold a 84 BMW R100RS to fund this next venture...
desmo900rider
So I had the PPI done, and all check out pretty well.

Good things: Engine is strong and he said the transmission shifts flawlessly. He actually said it is one of the better shifting 914s he has driven. No structural rust, although he did see a few small spots of what he said were "very early signs of the beginnings of some corrosion". He said that if I keep it out of the rain and snow, I should have zero problems with rust and that the car is very solid. Based on the condition of the car and the very few records that are there, he also has no reason to think that the car as any more than the 48K that it is showing. Interior is in GREAT shape with beautiful chocolate leather (or leatherette?) seats, and only one crack in the dash, right above the ashtray, carpets look good, and need a good shampoo.

Bad things: the repaint. Car color was originally Signal Orange, and the body was painted a slightly redder version of that color. The door jambs, trunk interior, etc, are still the original color. Windshield is pitted, original steel wheels are not in great shape, some corrosion and scratches, the steel portion of the bumpers are showing some signs of corrosion, and the rubber portions have some nicks and cracks. The rest are small mechanical things like the muffler bolts are hitting the rear valance in one spot (aftermarket dual exhaust, not sure on brand, just needs some tweaking), a loose thermostat cable, a fuel filter that is wrong for the car and should be replaced, a front brake flex line that has a small leak, wiring harness that goes to nothing (maybe cold start injector?), missing fuse cover (anybody have one?) and it looks like the battery hold down may be missing a bolt. And the lower chin spoiler/front valance thing is missing.

I have an great inexpensive powdercoat guy that I can probably have do the wheels and bumpers for me, and any other metal bits that could use a refinish.

Fast forward to today, after talking to as many local 914 guys that would take my call, and hearing that it sounds like a great price at $3500-$4000, I got the car for $3000.

How did I do, and what should I do next, other than enjoy the hell out of it?
desmo900rider
Also, rear glass is good, but should be re-sealed, seems not too difficult?
tornik550
I think that you did great. $3000 for a 914 that runs great and has minimal rust issues is a great deal in my opinion. The problems that you mentioned are not a big deal to me. Good job!

Cevan
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Oh, and welcome.png
Pat Garvey
BTW: All 914's have some or lots of rust rolleyes.gif
Tom
[/quote]

Not ALL Bliz! Not All!
Pat
silver74insocal
agree.gif
QUOTE(Cevan @ Jun 30 2010, 06:10 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Oh, and welcome.png

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.