Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quarter Panel wreck pics and repair, please post pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
U N S E E N
Just as it states, lets see what happened when you crashed. Please post pics of before and after, I just got into a wreak with my baby and IDK if I should fix or sell.
avidfanjpl
Show pics of the damage. I have a feeling we can say more than you might guess based on the pics.

Take some pictures! Worth more than you know.

I have had 6 and many here have done wild amounts of repair.

John
avidfanjpl
U N S E E N
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Jun 25 2010, 09:42 PM) *

Show pics of the damage. I have a feeling we can say more than you might guess based on the pics.

Take some pictures! Worth more than you know.

I have had 6 and many here have done wild amounts of repair.

John
avidfanjpl

IPB Image
bandjoey
Wow. Drug war related? Hit a Cactus? That's some swipe. I havn't fixed one but there are a lot of posts here from worse damage. Someone should be able to fix. You can probably buy sheet metal out of a tub and cut out the metal you need to weld back. smash.gif Experts will chime in for sure. Great looking car and fixable I'm sure.
avidfanjpl
In 1980, I had the same collision only on the drivers side. I was sideswiped. They took the door off and it was banged out, but there was a lot of cutting out the inside structure and weld it back to get to the inside surfaces to correct. The real issue was that they distorted the rear quarter panel by banging it out too far.

I refused delivery, and they had to cut it out and section the rear section about 2 feet by 1 foot.

It came back OK after that, but you may want to buy a new door and rear qp and section it in, because it is easier than asking someone to get the curves right.

I am not good at that stuff, but a good bodywork shop can cut and weld. Better yet, they can probably do more of the qp than is damaged, and get it right.

There are plenty of flap door handles to change the key barrel and keep it keyed right.

You have the right color! Save that car!

Good luck!

John
avidfanjpl
U N S E E N
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 26 2010, 08:13 PM) *

Wow. Drug war related? Hit a Cactus? That's some swipe. I havn't fixed one but there are a lot of posts here from worse damage. Someone should be able to fix. You can probably buy sheet metal out of a tub and cut out the metal you need to weld back. smash.gif Experts will chime in for sure. Great looking car and fixable I'm sure.

Haha nope my damn ex gf told me it was clear to go and I couldnt see. So I trusted her word and it turns out it wasnt clear smash.gif Ive had the car for about 9 months, I bought it off craigslist for 2300. Ive spent every last penny Ive made or had fixing everything form brakes, pedal assembly, suspension, bushings, paint, pretty much a small resto. I had the car running smoothly for one week then bam the accident. Im so broke now I cant afford to fix it sad.gif

here are some more pics
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105319
championgt1
I would be worried that the damage goes beyond the sheet metal. A hit like that can bend the frame. Bummer! barf.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jun 26 2010, 10:10 PM) *
A hit like that can bend the frame.

agree.gif
Tom
The right rear wheel looks out of alignment by a lot. Maybe camera angle?
Tom
'73-914kid
Take a picture of the passenger side of the engine bay. That will be a pretty good way to see how far the damage went.

Unfortunatly, it looks like a large part of the hit was on the suspension console. I'm not 100% sure on that one, but I'd definetly worry about the trailing arm being out of alignment with that hit
Andyrew
Find a clean tub. Swap parts over.
rick 918-S
Ouch! I could fix that but your half way across the country. That one needs a Celette. The chassis is bent. You will need to have the car benched. The rest is a QP and door replacement.
Ferg
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 28 2010, 05:52 AM) *

Find a clean tub. Swap parts over.

agree.gif
Spoke
My 71 got whacked from behind and caused enough damage to total the car.

That didn't stop me from bringing it back from the dead.

Here's the link to the work that I did to un-fuck it.

Pounding out a Dent

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
U N S E E N
Yea I had seen your thread awhile back. I dont think the tub is bent but I dont have any money i mean any money at the moment to spare. Any ideas on what you guys think its worth?
rick 918-S
I'd buy it an dfix it but I bought two cars this year already.
charliew
If you pay a good shop to fix your car it will cost more than you originally paid for it. Still it might be the way to go considering what you already have in it. And sorry, Never trust someone elso to look for you when you are driving, I'm sure you know this now. Measure the distance between the left side wheels and the right and see if there is a big difference. The wheel doesn't look crooked in the pictures to me.
U N S E E N
QUOTE(charliew @ Jun 30 2010, 11:16 AM) *

If you pay a good shop to fix your car it will cost more than you originally paid for it. Still it might be the way to go considering what you already have in it. And sorry, Never trust someone elso to look for you when you are driving, I'm sure you know this now. Measure the distance between the left side wheels and the right and see if there is a big difference. The wheel doesn't look crooked in the pictures to me.

Yea it is bent, however its the rear trailing arm. It really doesnt look bent at all just a smashed quarter panel. Im gonna pull the panel out and replace that trailing arm and see how it drives for the mean time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.