Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hanging the rear Transmission Mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
When bolting in the tranny, the rear support mounts have 2 small bolts to the body, and one super big bolt attaching the mount to the tranny. Do You attach the support to the tranny first, and then the 2 small bolts to the body when putting the tranny in place, or reverse?

I can't find a torque setting for the long bolt through the support in Haynes or anywhere. Do you use one or just armstrong it? Thanks
McMark
I usually loosely attach the mounts to the transmission (big bolt), then there is enough 'slop' to get the two small bolts in place.

I can't find the torque settings either, but I'm sure they're out there. I usually just crank them down really tight though.
bandjoey
That looks the easiest. Thanks.
914rat
What Mark said! Thats the way I do it.
campbellcj
I don't know if the torque specs are the same for stock/OEM mounts, but here is the info from the Wevo mount instructions:

Technical Note: The M12 bolt through the Engine or Transmission mount should be tightened to 40 ft/lbs or 55 Nm. The M12 Schnorr (serrated) washer should be installed directly under the head of the M12 bolt. The M8 hardware should be tightened to 18 ft/lbs or 25 Nm using the original arrangement of washer and nut.
Als914
For the lazy ones like me smoke.gif , when I disconnect the rear of the tranny I only remove one side and leave the other side fullly attached at the chassis with the ear bolt hanging in place. This way when I remount the tranny I only have to make sure I don't forget the large formed washers that slides in above the tranny ear, attach the large washer and nut and tighten slightly then go to the other side and install the other side. Jack the tranny to chassis supports and tighten everything up. I save half the time biggrin.gif .

Sorry, I don't have a torque spec.
Cap'n Krusty
It amazes me that anyone would loosen or remove the large bolt through the tranny mount when you can simply remove the four 8mm bolts that hold the mounts to the body. No adjusting, no big effort to torque the bolt, and no confusion over the order and orientation of the various washers. Removing the large bolts is the very definition of "doing it the hard way".

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.