Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: restoring a 1973 2.0, what color should i paint?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crxnug
im restoring a 1973 2.0 and i need some help to make a color choice, i dont want to repaint it the color it came as ,red
the only color i have ruled out are yellows, black, reds, dard green.
the colors im leaning towards are silver metallic, marathon blue, signal orange,
any help in deciding on which way to go would be a great help
Mike Bellis
1070 Dodge Plum Crazy Purple... You will have a one of one...
kerensky
Of your remaining choices, Marathon Blue is the only one that looks halfway decent on a stock 914, IMHO.
Cevan
Delphi green metallic, of course.
EdwardBlume
I'm color blind, but navy blue, dark purple, or metallic gray are great non stock colors....

Lennies914
You know Yellow is fastest, but since you've already chose against it, silver would get my vote. beer.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(crxnug @ Jun 27 2010, 04:46 PM) *

im restoring a 1973 2.0 and i need some help to make a color choice, i dont want to repaint it the color it came as ,red
the colors im leaning towards are silver metallic, marathon blue, signal orange,

If you're not looking to stay original with it, then pick what "floats your boat"!

However, you need to be aware that there is a significantly lower value for 914's not in their stock color - perhaps 40-60+% lower, amongst collectors. If yours is otherwise all original with matching numbers (engine & transaxle [if listed] case numbers match VIN on your COA) & the engine is still/staying all stock D-jet - then you may want to reconsider not staying with the original colors.

Listen - I'm no "CW saint" - since my 73 had been repainted tan then gold by the time it was 3 years old when I got it in 12/75, then I repainted to Copper Metallic in 8/76, then to Anthracite Metallic (dk. gray) in 5/80 - after starting life a L80E Light Ivory.

Not being a "white car guy" myself - last year I too considered yet another color change to Marathon Blue Metallic ....... until I talked to a few 914-ers, looked at values original vs. color changed & relative to what it will cost to repair & restore mine. Then I decided to go back to original L80E & learned to like the color more than I had, but my wife's still disappointed (until she sees it done & purdy I'm sure).

Unfortunately it's a dilemma & decision that only you can make, & you'll get input from both sides & many colors that THEY like. You may want to PM dr.914 to get his opinion of original vs. color changes. So look into all the angles, how much work, time & $$s you'll be sinking into your own resto., then decide whether you want your pick that makes YOU happy - or if you can learn to like the original Red, then do it with all the fact & open eyes! blink.gif

Is/was yours Bahia Red (red-red) or Phoenix Red (red-orange)??

Here are a couple of pix of my buddy's still ORIGINAL Bahia Red paint (no repaint) on his 1 owner 71 914/4 1.7L (plus some!) well preserved & now a garage queen since about 76-77, to give you an idea of how they looked out of the factory (with a few personalization items like the dash, threshold plates, hood badge & Western wheels - all as delivered by the dealer on a buyer who ordered the "extras" then backed out & never took delivery.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

That'll give you an idea of what a really nice original Bahia Red (red-red) 914 will look like.

Here's a nicely repainted Phoenix Red 73 2L -

Click to view attachment

If I could've afforded one in college & ordered it, then I'd have gotten either Marathon Blue, Alaska Blue or special ordered the 70-71 Blue Metallic - all/either with the beige interior which mine has, but that's MY tastes! shades.gif

These color links have 914s in the various colors fyi -
http://www.p914.com/p914_paint.htm

popcorn[1].gif
bandjoey
Yellow always looks hot but it makes the car slow. happy11.gif Signal Orange or Tangerine. Now those are FAST colors. biggrin.gif
veltror
VW scirocco Viper Green Metallic...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If the original color from the factory was red and you want to paint it a different color, I would suggest red red red red red or red. Any of those colors would be appropriate for the car, to preserve its value, originality, acceptance here at the world and the club, and to not p o dr. 914, by abusing one of his children.

Ferg
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 28 2010, 06:00 AM) *

If the original color from the factory was red and you want to paint it a different color, I would suggest red red red red red or red. Any of those colors would be appropriate for the car, to preserve its value, originality, acceptance here at the world and the club, and to not p o dr. 914, by abusing one of his children.

agree.gif Sorry, but don't color change a 914, learn to like red biggrin.gif
BigDBass
Not clear to me if the car was Red from the factory, or just when you acquired it. What's the color code on the Karmann plate? Paint it that color!
Root_Werks
agree.gif

Find the color code and at least see what it was originally first. You'll be better off painting it the original color value wise.
markb
If you're doing a true restoration, paint it the factory color. If it's just a rebuild, and you're building it for yourself, without planning on selling it, paint it whatever color you want. It's worth more to resell if it's the factory color.
avidfanjpl
I bet you didn't want to hear everyone howl, but truly, not one 914 that I EVER SAW as a repaint looked as good as the original color, if you were going to stay as original as possible.

Sure, plenty do groundups that change the color of every square inch, but typically they are going for true racecars.

There is just no way to go but original, because original is nearly 40 years old, and you can't ignore original as these cars take the place of "affordable Porsches" in automotive history for the next 10 years.

Sort of like seeing a real redhead with BLACK hair. It typically just doesn't work.

(Apologies to any women that are goths here.)

And in your dreams the car will haunt you with cries to go back to RED!

Good luck!

J
windforfun
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 28 2010, 07:49 AM) *

Not clear to me if the car was Red from the factory, or just when you acquired it. What's the color code on the Karmann plate? Paint it that color!

Ditto ditto ditto!!!
Socalandy
Yellow is my favorite color of course but if I could go back in time I would keep it stock. Of course I didnt know I would have a yellow 914-6 back then either. My 72 was silver from the factory.
KELTY360

Only you can decide how important the collector value is. A '73 2.0 is one of the most desirable 914s so keeping it the stock color is even more significant in determining resale value. However, you never said that was important to you.

To answer your question, IMHO silver and signal orange are iconic 914 colors. You simply can't go wrong with either. To choose between them, analyze your personality and temperament and choose accordingly.

When I got my current '74 2.0, I wasn't in love with the original Marathon Blue color. But it was oxidized and faded. I decided to stay with the original color when I had it repainted this year and I'm glad I did. I didn't have the expense of painting the trunks, etc., and I think that silvery blue finish is spectacular in fresh color. Judge for yourself.

Click to view attachment

Good luck with your decision. Remember, it's your car and the most important person to please is yourself.
jimtab
Geezz....I fear change now....mine is the stock Zambezi Green from 1973 (the color all other 914s dream of being) and I wouldn't change it......I'd stay with the red, but then, I also stay with the 2.0
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 28 2010, 09:00 AM) *

Not nice to piss off the doctor!

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 27 2010, 11:17 PM) *

Yellow always looks hot but it makes the car slow. happy11.gif Signal Orange or Tangerine. Now those are FAST colors. biggrin.gif

Bill, you better hope to hell your life insurance is paid up when Mary reads this! ar15.gif
sixnotfour
VW scirocco Viper Green Metallic...

1976 914 Viper Green Metalic
carr914
Two Things;

1. Check the Karmann Plate before you make up your mind

2. I don't mind Color changes if done right. I don't like Porsche Silver as it has too much black/grey in it

This is what I did years ago

Original burnt out Silver

Click to view attachment

Morphed into Minerva Blue

Click to view attachment

Combo Minerva Blue / Cobalt Blue

Click to view attachment

New Owner made a 1971 Daytona Winner Clone - Yellow/Orange/Black

Click to view attachment
Gudhjem
Does the original color matter if the car is flared anyway? Seems like any increase in value would not be there, though maybe it's still satisfying to know it looks more like it did when it was born

I'm picking a color for my flared '73 2.0. Currently red; it was originally Marathon Blue Metallic. I considered the original color since I like it, and I liked the idea of going back to original, but wanted to avoid painting metallic (doing it myself).

/hijack off
Jeffs9146
Silver is the best IMO!
aircooledtechguy
I don't know what color this is specifically (maybe the owner will chime-in), but this WCR-2010 attendee has one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen. . . This color and the lighting came together amazingly for this photo. I drool every time I see it.

The next 914 I get will be painted this color.

Click to view attachment
tat2dphreak
paint it whatever color you want if you aren't going back original... orange, marathon blue or Aubergine are my top pics...
thomasotten

There is a guy in England restoring classic 911s, and his clients pay big for his quality work. I asked him if color change was an issue, he said no. The cars go all the way down to the metal and are completely rebuilt. The client wants this color, he gives them what they want.

And are you sticklers for originality using the same enamel paints? I doubt it.

If you absolutely want a custom color and you can envision in your head how it will look when complete, then do it. Life is too short to stick with a color you don't like. Just do quality work.

But if in doubt, stick with originality.
jmill
Mine is Zambezi. Best looking color I've seen on a 914. I'd never change it. That said I'm not against a color change as long as it's done right and painted in a factory color.
DanT
paint it orange....well Phoenix Red.... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.