Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I've been taken to the woodshed!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Yesterday afternoon I recieved a call from my buddy Jasfmith (James, the Swiss six guy).
We spent about 20 minutes bantering bach & forth. Then, he hit me in the gut!

Apparently, I spend too much time on perfection (gas tank) and not enough time on getting the 14 on the road. Probably so.

I was told, in no uncertain terms, that I need to set hard & fast goal and timelines for getting things completed. Basically, I was told to sh_t or get off the pot!

Think that James may have a point.

Here's what I need to do to get Fritz running again:
1. Tank - nearly ready for insertion. One week to meet my specs.
2. FI - all lines , injectors, fuel pump (probably), rails replaced. ?, maybe 2 additional weeks.
3. Startup & test - who knows? After living in SE PA for 15 years I've yet to find a local to trust with the engine mechanical, as well as brakes & suspension (I welcome referrals here!), so my plan is to ship it to Stoddard for this work after it fires up. They can have it for as long as needed to make it roadworthy. Needs no restoration, just a pro hand on the mechanicals. Will consider all other offers (Scotty?).

This car MUST be roadworthy by Spring of 2011, or earlier. I plan on entering it in the Vermont Parade if I still live in the area.

Those are my goals James. Now shut up!
Pat
Tom_T
Yeah, but Pat - "The devil's in the details!" .... & you're the most "devilish detailer"! happy11.gif

Keep up the good work, & it'll be purr-fect whenever you're done. biggrin.gif

Maybe get it running & drivable first, then attend to the details of perfection (other than the necesary tank of course)?? confused24.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
ME733
............Thank YOU.....well pat you had available the training workbook-porsche 914 hidden features available. And you sent it, I got it , and I,m reading it. it is funny - but a useful "refresher" course for me., example- I didn't realize the extent of corrosion protection on 914,s......sorta makes me wonder why and how our cars can be so rusty......must be winter salt....and water accumulation...I am thankful the previous owners of my car stored it in the winter,in a warm garage....And it,s got it,s original paint.(no grinding off the top layer of primer and zink to do body repairs)...Anyway a big thanks for the workbook. To recprocate I would like to offer you free parts off of my dismantled 1975 "parts car"...it was a 2.0. Name it and it,s yours..if I have it..or the 1.39 postage and $$$whatever$$$ you want.......Thanks again......Murray.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 28 2010, 07:18 AM) *

............Thank YOU.....well pat you had available the training workbook-porsche 914 hidden features available. And you sent it, I got it , and I,m reading it. it is funny - but a useful "refresher" course for me., example- I didn't realize the extent of corrosion protection on 914,s......sorta makes me wonder why and how our cars can be so rusty......must be winter salt....and water accumulation...I am thankful the previous owners of my car stored it in the winter,in a warm garage....And it,s got it,s original paint.(no grinding off the top layer of primer and zink to do body repairs)...Anyway a big thanks for the workbook. To recprocate I would like to offer you free parts off of my dismantled 1975 "parts car"...it was a 2.0. Name it and it,s yours..if I have it..or the 1.39 postage and $$$whatever$$$ you want.......Thanks again......Murray.

Murray - LOL!
Look, I sent you something that I knew everything about & figured you could either chuckle or maybe get some info from. I want nothing for it (please, no more parts). Just enjoy it & recognize that, if the 1.39 914 part every becomes available that I need......
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 27 2010, 11:43 PM) *

Yeah, but Pat - "The devil's in the details!" .... & you're the most "devilish detailer"! happy11.gif

Keep up the good work, & it'll be purr-fect whenever you're done. biggrin.gif

Maybe get it running & drivable first, then attend to the details of perfection (other than the necesary tank of course)?? confused24.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

No. no, no Tom - James was right. I'm dragging my ass on the 914. It's too easy to come home from work & find other things to do. 914 comes first for the rest of this year - if only the heat would go away. Phew!!
Pat
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 27 2010, 09:41 PM) *

Pat

Never gonna happen.

I think it's time that we begin a pool on just when this 914 will be on the road! Anyone have an idea how we should start? Perhaps defining what "on the road" means? What the winner gets?

For that matter should we pick dates, weeks, months or years? <grin>
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 28 2010, 08:38 PM) *

No. no, no Tom - James was right. I'm dragging my ass on the 914. It's too easy to come home from work & find other things to do. 914 comes first for the rest of this year - if only the heat would go away. Phew!!
Pat

"Heat"? Sounds like your already laying the ground work for reasons for the delay...
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 29 2010, 09:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 28 2010, 08:38 PM) *

Pat

"Heat"? Sounds like your already laying the ground work for reasons for the delay...

No, I'm not making delays. Just recognize that I am almost 64 years old and heat takes its toll quickly.
Tomorrow, it will be in the low 80's, with low hum's. So, I'm taking a personal day from work. Will be doing some minor weeding, but most of the day will be 914.

Hey, while I think about it.....

They old tank needs to come out (duh), but to do so I need four screw clamps. Anyone know of a source? Else, I'll just use clothespins & die in the fire.
Pat
70_914
Your local flaps should have hose pinchers- hopefully what you are talking about. I bought 1 set off the Snap-On truck and they are all metal. I bought 1 set from the auto parts sale and they are plastic and metal. Both sets seem to work fine.

sixerdon
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 27 2010, 05:41 PM) *

Yesterday afternoon I recieved a call from my buddy Jasfmith (James, the Swiss six guy).
We spent about 20 minutes bantering bach & forth. Then, he hit me in the gut!

Apparently, I spend too much time on perfection (gas tank) and not enough time on getting the 14 on the road. Probably so.

I was told, in no uncertain terms, that I need to set hard & fast goal and timelines for getting things completed. Basically, I was told to sh_t or get off the pot!

Think that James may have a point.

Here's what I need to do to get Fritz running again:
1. Tank - nearly ready for insertion. One week to meet my specs.
2. FI - all lines , injectors, fuel pump (probably), rails replaced. ?, maybe 2 additional weeks.
3. Startup & test - who knows? After living in SE PA for 15 years I've yet to find a local to trust with the engine mechanical, as well as brakes & suspension (I welcome referrals here!), so my plan is to ship it to Stoddard for this work after it fires up. They can have it for as long as needed to make it roadworthy. Needs no restoration, just a pro hand on the mechanicals. Will consider all other offers (Scotty?).

This car MUST be roadworthy by Spring of 2011, or earlier. I plan on entering it in the Vermont Parade if I still live in the area.

Pat

I just learned that the PCA Parade will NOT happen in VT next year. Instead it is now planned for Savanah, GA. It kind of kills my plans for next year to enter my '75.
Maybe George H. can take a trailer load of 914's down the road from Atlanta and enter all of them. Steve can bring his up and clean house.
Don

tod914
Pat you can pick up a pair of those pincher pliers at Sears. That's where I got mine. About $40.00 for two.
Don could you please post shots of your 75? Anxious to see it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.