Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deal or no deal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
moralem
I am looking at this car on Craigs list they want 3k which includes a whole bunch of parts what do you guys think. It is virtually rust free being a Cali car and now in OK. Here is the website you can visit. http://picasaweb.google.com/JonBreen2000/1972Porsche91402
Tom_T
QUOTE(moralem @ Jun 27 2010, 09:07 PM) *

I am looking at this car on Craigs list they want 3k which includes a whole bunch of parts what do you guys think. It is virtually rust free being a Cali car and now in OK. Here is the website you can visit. http://picasaweb.google.com/JonBreen2000/1972Porsche91402

This is what those Quarter sized rust bubbles will look like when you dig them out - & this is only the start of what the full extent is (see pic below). The pix don't show any of the usual rust problem areas.

IMHO Rust Free California 914s is a MYTH - same for any other supposedly dry state. They all have some, it just hasn't shown up yet!

FYI - my 73 2L has always lived in SoCal since 1st sold 11/9/72, I've owned it since 12/75 (2nd owner) & it had a $6500+ rolling resto/rustoration in 1980-83, then was put on blocks in my garage 5/85 to now - & it grew rust in the hell hole, where the sail/door/fender area rust in the pic below shows - that had been repaired in `80, pass. side steering rack, engine firewall/engine shelf behind the sound/heat pad, etc., etc., etc. A real surprise to me, thinking that all I needed to do was repair some F&R body damage from when the ditz hit it in `85 & putting it in storage!

I doubt that this red 914 FS is rust free! Try to get one of the OK Teeners who know the problem areas to check it out with/for you. If this is not the one, keep looking.

Ooops - forgot the pic - here ya go!

Click to view attachment
.... behind Driver Door @ Sail/R Fender Top Joint Area

Happy Hunting! beerchug.gif
Tom - a long time Calif 914 owner
///////
tat2dphreak
No rust in spare tire area.

how can you tell? it's full of $h*t!

j/k but seriously, get a local to do a thorough PPI. it doesn't look that bad, but I think a PPI would do you well.
underthetire
Pics look like a good 3K starter car, but can't really tell in pics. Get someone to look at it for you before you drive all that way.
tat2dphreak
what part of TX are you in?
moralem
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 28 2010, 07:22 AM) *

what part of TX are you in?

I am right up the road from you in the town of Weston north of Mckinney. I have seen your car on Craigs list but it is a little too rich for my blood and I do want to do some work on the car I get. I hate to run up to Tulsa which is about 3 hours for me just to find out the car requires way too much rust work for my meager welding skills.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.