Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my plans for next summer. Mid-summer get-together 2011.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RJMII
A few of us too far away to hit WCR have been contmeplating a 914 get together between RTe 66 and Red Rocks. Here's what we've come up with while our little chat sessions.

There are 3 canyons within 100miles of where I live. There are also multiple places within an hour drive that are over 8000ft. (I'm at 4400ish foot here)

Here is one route that I was discussing with the other 914 owner.

http://www.milebymile.com/main/United_Stat...enic_Byway.html

Shell is 51 miles from where I live; and would be the starting point of the drive.

Here's a drive that starts out 32 miles (ish) from where I am sitting right now:

http://www.milebymile.com/main/United_Stat...eak_Skyway.html

It tops out at 9600 feet, starting from 4400ish feet. There are a couple of switch backs, hair pin turns, etc. lots of blind corners and cliffs to fall off of.

We're looking at about 3 months after Rt 66 and 3 months before RRC next year.

If we do June, Father's day there is a big car show in Thermopolis, Wyoming every year. This year there were quite a few cars from what I've heard. (I wish I'd gone, there was a V8 914 there.)

Thermopolis is Half an hour away in 'the other' direction. (option #1 is North of me 51 miles; Option 2 is East 32 miles; Thermopolis and the Wind River canyon is south 32 miles) West we have Meteetsee, up to Cody, Wyoming and the East Entrance to Yellowstone.

any questions? comments? I'll be borrowing pictures and maybe taking some of my own this weekend when we go up to Cody for the 4th of July parade.
RJMII
Pay attention to the squiggly red lines. smile.gif

Shell canyon map:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The high altitude (over 5000 foot climb!)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Good idea. The Bighorns are drop dead gorgeous. In fact, I'll be there in about a month and a half, but not in a 914. Syncro Westy instead. Really looking forward to exploring the area this summer.

Thermopolis is cool with the thermal pools and the Wind River Canyon is just weird. I swear the river looks like it's running uphill when you head south through the canyon. screwy.gif

A little remote, but would be a great place for a 914 gathering.
RJMII
Marc,

You still planning on giving me a holler when you get in the area? My wife and I comment on the river running uphill almost everytime we go through there.

We could possibly hit BOTH routes in one day. smile.gif
Google Map of the area, showing both routes highlighted.

Which is something I will probably do later this summer... and again next summer... just because I can. smile.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 28 2010, 10:45 PM) *

Marc,

You still planning on giving me a holler when you get in the area? My wife and I comment on the river running uphill almost everytime we go through there.

We could possibly hit BOTH routes in one day. smile.gif
Google Map of the area, showing both routes highlighted.

Which is something I will probably do later this summer... and again next summer... just because I can. smile.gif

You bet I'll be calling; probably 2nd or 3rd week in August. I've been studying Google Maps for potential camping areas for the last few weeks now. I've been across the southern portion of the Bighorns and am looking forward to seeing the northern stretch this year. Really want to see the Medicine Wheel; hear it's a very special place.

So I'm not crazy for thinking that river runs uphill! That's a relief. I've been down that canyon twice. The first time something didn't seem quite right. Last year I went through there again and was convinced that it was screwy. I had to ask my brother if we were really going downhill, cause the river was running the other direction!

Hwy 16 is a gorgeous run and Ten Sleep Canyon would be awesome in a 914 - as long as you weren't stuck behind a motorhome. Doing an event around Father's Day is a good idea because all the touristas haven't hit the road yet. Buffalo would make a good lunch stop on that Bighorn loop. It would be a long drive but I'll try hard to make an event if you get something put together. Exceptional country.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.