Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: There are no rust free 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
I decided to remove the seat belt and e-brake handle so I could install a piece of carpet along the driver side long. Of course, rust had set in and it took some liberal application of rust blaster to loosen the seat belt mounting bolt. Ended up breaking the e-brake bolt mad.gif

With all the rust in that corner of the cockpit, I started poking around. Though my car is far from being rust free, the floor didn't look too bad. A few cracks in the tar with rust color showing and rust around the seat mounts didn't seem so bad. Then I started pulling up the tar and was surprised to see so much rust. I went ahead and pulled all the loose tar on the driver side and then today went back out and pulled the tar on the passenger side. For some reason the driver side is worse than the passenger side. Especially at the very front by the pedals.

Guess it is time to invest in a grinder, some rust converter and a roll of RAAMmat.

DRIVERS SIDE:
IPB Image
PASSENGER SIDE:
IPB Image
PASSENGER SIDE:
IPB Image
carr914
You better get a Welder too welder.gif , as the farther you dig the worse it will get.

As far as your Title goes, you are wrong. I have found 3 Rust-Free 914s inthe last 2 years here in the State of Humidity.

T.C.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 28 2010, 06:30 PM) *

You better get a Welder too welder.gif , as the farther you dig the worse it will get.

As far as your Title goes, you are wrong. I have found 3 Rust-Free 914s inthe last 2 years here in the State of Humidity.

T.C.

Send them to Scotty, he will find the rust!
windforfun
Too bad DeLorean wasn't involved. Then again...
MDG
For heavily pitted areas try a product called Rust Remover by Dominion Sure Seal

Click to view attachment

Not sure how common their products are down there but DSS is like a Canadian version of Wurth - OEM suppliers on all the same type stuff. This rust remover is like liquid sand blasting. Apply it, let it set and lightly wire brush. It penetrates until it hits solid metal and disolves the rust. I found a bottle of it and gave it to my brother who is finishing my six. He has had a restoration shop since the '70s and could not believe how this stuff works. It looks like fresh metal once you've wiped it away.

Once it has done it's thing you can see what's left as far as any cutting and welding you may need to do.
Socalandy
you didnt look inside the longs did you ohmy.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jun 28 2010, 07:43 PM) *

you didnt look inside the longs did you ohmy.gif
Yeah, but no surprise there as I know the longs have rust. I was surprised to find so much under the tar.

MDG: thanks for the info. I will look into that.

driving.gif
MDG
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 28 2010, 07:51 PM) *

MDG: thanks for the info. I will look into that.

driving.gif

No problem. That rusty, pitted - Blech!! down by your seat supports in those pics you posted will be shiny metal . . . or holes. I'll upload a shot of a similar area I had on my passenger floor in about the same spot. I don't have a before but it was almost as bad as yours.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 28 2010, 05:21 PM) *

I decided to remove the seat belt and e-brake handle so I could install a piece of carpet along the driver side long. Of course, rust had set in and it took some liberal application of rust blaster to loosen the seat belt mounting bolt. Ended up breaking the e-brake bolt mad.gif

With all the rust in that corner of the cockpit, I started poking around. Though my car is far from being rust free, the floor didn't look too bad. A few cracks in the tar with rust color showing and rust around the seat mounts didn't seem so bad. Then I started pulling up the tar and was surprised to see so much rust. I went ahead and pulled all the loose tar on the driver side and then today went back out and pulled the tar on the passenger side. For some reason the driver side is worse than the passenger side. Especially at the very front by the pedals.

Guess it is time to invest in a grinder, some rust converter and a roll of RAAMmat.

DRIVERS SIDE:
IPB Image
PASSENGER SIDE:
IPB Image
PASSENGER SIDE:
IPB Image

Too bad, but you're wrong! I know of at least 18 that are rustfree...and original.
Pat
MDG
Okay, best I could do - had to use my daughter's Hanah Montana camera . . . dry.gif

It'll give you an idea of how this works. This photo is taken while it's soaking; the black grunge is disolved rust. I took a rag and wiped an area to show you what is now metal underneath. A bit of wire brushing will clean out all the pitting.

Then you get to see how many holes are in there . . . . sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Click to view attachment

balljoint
FWIW the batteries in Mike's own Hannah Montana camera were dead.

Do you have to wash that stuff off afterwards? Does it eat paint and plastic too?
Silverstreak
I need that! Where can I get some?
MDG
QUOTE(balljoint @ Jun 28 2010, 08:36 PM) *

FWIW the batteries in Mike's own Hannah Montana camera were dead.

Uh, hello? Mine is the Jonas Brothers thank you very much. Oh, and Dave? I notice you corrected my spelling on her name . . .

This stuff leaves a coating until you are ready to paint. Scuff it, prime, paint.
MDG
QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Jun 28 2010, 08:40 PM) *

I need that! Where can I get some?

Google Dominion Sure Seal; they probably list US distributors. The products labeled under their own name are the ones you want to get. They also manufacture a retail brand called Rust Check which I wouldn't use.

DSS is little known by most but as I say they are like Wurth in the range of products they make. OEM suppliers to all the car makers. Their sound deadening material has been on all Cadillacs and Corvettes for the last 20 years or so. Their zinc weld thru primer is night and day better than the Wurth version.

And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.