Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's wrong with my roof?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pillay2k
Well my car has been going like a champion since i finished it about a month ago and i just cant get enough of driving it. It has now been all the way to Le Mans and been all over the UK a couple of time, but driving in the rain is a very miserable experience...

Not just because of the lack of heat (got some SSHE coming thanks to Jamie though!) but mostly the amount of water that is able to run into the car via the window/ roof seal. This happens at the back of the window on the drivers side and top of the vent window on the pass' side.

Is my roof/ windscreen frame bent or is it the whole car and to be expected after 38years and massive amounts of cutting and welding.... sad.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
SUNAB914
What happened? Was it towed backwards at 100mph or did the heat warp it. Never seen one warp like that.
veltror
Hmm, early roof?
JoeSharp
My guess would be that your car is bent. Somewhere around here there is a drawing of the car with dimensions on it that will tell you what the distance between the windshield and the targa bar should be. I have looked at car doing cross-sighting the targa and the windshield frame to see if they are parallel. That car was bent and we cut it up.
TheCabinetmaker
Wrong seal on the rear of the targa.
jmill
Click the link in my sig and see what Rick had to do to get mine straight. I had the same thing. It might be just the windshield frame is pulled down on the passenger side or your car is bent. PM Rick and get him in here. Mine is perfect now after he fixed me up. cheer.gif
pillay2k
i'm hoping it is the windscreen frame like your John.

This car has had a new scuttle at some point so that might be where the problem started. I dont think the car is bent on the whole as the doors shut fine and there was no sign of accident damage when i took the car back to bare metal...

How can i tell the difference between a late and early roof? i have a spare that i could use but might be the same. One other thing is i have one early door (DS) and one late door (PS) (without the reinforcement) as i couldn't get 2 good matching doors... will have to pick some up next time i'm in the US!
detoxcowboy
#1 correct top..
#2 is the latch system in good shape and mounted properly in there correct position both on the car and the targa ..
#3 take some measurements roll bar to windscreen, latch to latch ect.,door jambs to windscreen corners,
#4 also would look at the window triangles on each door and how they come up to the windscreen, this may give you an idea if the windscreen is twisted or bent,..
#5 when the car is jacked up is there any significant changes??
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I can see clearly that your car needs a little "tweeking" on a frame rack. There are plenty in Britain who can do an excellent job. They will remove the bumpers and rockers, tie the car down and then set it up for a multi pull. That will get it all back in line and the top and doors and windows will all fit great.

QUOTE(pillay2k @ Jun 29 2010, 03:17 AM) *

Well my car has been going like a champion since i finished it about a month ago and i just cant get enough of driving it. It has now been all the way to Le Mans and been all over the UK a couple of time, but driving in the rain is a very miserable experience...

Not just because of the lack of heat (got some SSHE coming thanks to Jamie though!) but mostly the amount of water that is able to run into the car via the window/ roof seal. This happens at the back of the window on the drivers side and top of the vent window on the pass' side.

Is my roof/ windscreen frame bent or is it the whole car and to be expected after 38years and massive amounts of cutting and welding.... sad.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

76-914
Fab, Go to the top of the screen and select "914 info". You will find all the 914's dimension's, here.
Root_Werks
The pass side door gap looks pretty small.

Get it on a frame machine, square things up?
Tom_T
I agree with the suggestions above, but best check the longs for rust (if you haven't already done so), because a Cellette Bench or any other frame machine can litterally pull a car apart if there is significant rust damage. A local shop owner was telling me a couple of weeks ago how that happened when they tried to fix a customer's 70 914-6. So you'll need to fix any significant uni-body rust before you "stretch" it back in square on a frame machine. Also make sure the selected shop has the proper 914 fixtures & dimensions for it (they're posted at "914 info" up along the top of the webpage here).
SirAndy
Before you go too crazy, try bending the top of the windshield frame! smash.gif

If you are careful, you can do this without braking the windshield. You'll be surprised how easy this is. popcorn[1].gif

There is enough adjustment in the doors and windows to get this all squared. It's not off by much.

driving.gif Andy
pillay2k
There is defiantly no rust on, in or around this car anymore (i must write up my resto at some point!) wink.gif

I have measured front to back windscreen to roll bar and it is out by 4mm, diagonally it is a bit more...

The door gaps are probably more to do with hope much of the door was fabricated to make it whole again

Thanks for the info i will have to go on the hunt to get this 'straightened' out.
pillay2k
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 29 2010, 08:25 PM) *

Before you go too crazy, try bending the top of the windshield frame! smash.gif

If you are careful, you can do this without braking the windshield. You'll be surprised how easy this is. popcorn[1].gif

There is enough adjustment in the doors and windows to get this all squared. It's not off by much.

driving.gif Andy

i was tempted as just my hand pushing down on the top of the frame can deflect it a couple of mm at least, bonus being i need a new screen and have new front trim to go in too, might be worth killing to birds...

Thanks guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.