Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Wheel Bearing - Mix & Match
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
I just picked up some new brake drums for the boat trailer. They came with new bearing races (outer) but no cones (rollers, cages & inner races).

Is it OK to simply use new cones? This means the outer race and the rollers/inner race would be from sets and possibly different manufacturers.

or ...

Should the races be removed and replaced with the races from the matched set?

Thanks

Eddie
jaxdream
Are the hubs cast steel or aluminium ?? The aluminium maybe a little touchier to remove the races , but if I had matching races and cone bearings I would definately go with them . YMMV......

Jack / Jaxdream
Eddie914
One piece drums and hubs ... cast iron. They are starting to rust just from the smell of salt water.

Eddie
jmill
I wouldn't. You can't be certain they'll last more than 5 miles. If they were both new from the same manufacturer and had the same part # I'd swap them all day long.
URY914
Never mix them.
rickthejetman
Wheel bearings are cheap go buy a new set and change out the bearing and the race. cast drums should be fairly easy to drve the old races out and drive the new ones in. Hint= heat helps a bunch
ME733
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 29 2010, 08:27 PM) *

Never mix them.

I agree, NEVER mix them.
IronHillRestorations
If you are going to replace the bearings replace the race too.
Krieger
They are cheap, buy new ones. Do it right.
PRS914-6
Either buy a set or a cone and race from the same manufacturer. A set is prefered.

Also, I highly encourage you to NOT beat the races out. See this thread, last post
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.