Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP! - Wiring up MSD 6A in 1970 2.7 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtbr_mark
I don't want to be dramatic but I'm in desperate need of some help here guys. I started helping a friend with a 2.7 conversion for his son and am sitting at the very very end of it now uncertain of just how I need to hook up a few wires for the ignition system. If anyone has experience with this I'd love for someone to fill in the "connect the dots" picture that I've attached.

The wires that are confusing me
- I have (2) wires coming from my relay board that I don't know where they hook up, and bye the way, in the FSM when it calls out "Terminal 1" and "Terminal 15", which one is + and which one is -?
- This new motor has a red and a black wire coming out of the distributor that the previous engine didn't. Where do they go?
- There's some random heavier orange wire poking out of the loom in a position that makes it look like it use to go onto the coil but I can't tell for sure.
- And then the infamous MSD 6A and 8910

If you guys can help me I can't even tell you how grateful I would be.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Henry
I'll be doing the same job someday on a 79 3.0 dizzy, I need to know which wires on the dizzy to connect as well.

Here is the MSD instructions and a link to the MSD forum.

http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/M...ructions(1).pdf

http://www.msdignition.com/forum/index.php

BTW NEVER EVER Touch the coil wire!
IronHillRestorations
For the MSD you don't hook up any of the factory wiring to the coil. The MSD box is wired to the coil with the orange wire going to + on the coil and the black wire going to - . For the tach signal you go from the MSD box to the tach adapter and then to the tach via the black/purple wire.

If you are mounting the coil to the fan strap, it's best to get the MSD heavy duty coil.

I always find it best to use the entire system so you don't run into compatability issues.
mtbr_mark
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jun 30 2010, 06:31 AM) *

If you are mounting the coil to the fan strap, it's best to get the MSD heavy duty coil.

I agree. I have the MSD coil mounted and ready to go. Thank you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.