Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air filters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
I have a K&N cone filter installed by the PO, but i'm going to go back to the stock air filter housing.

PP has an OEM Style and a K&N Style for the stock housing.

Which one are people running? I've used K&N products in my other cars: GTI, Mustang, my Truck, but they are not 38 years old or air cooled.

Just curious what people are running...

Thanks!
Rich
Root_Werks
OEM, OEM, OEM.

K&N's don't really filter much, especially when they dry out. You have to keep them oiled.

Stick with the OEM paper element. It's safer and on any stock 914 FI system, K&N doesn't add anything but missery.
Shade Tree
I'm running K&N's on my carbs. They suck! I don't even think they protect my carbs from mosquitoes.
Cap'n Krusty
K&Ns have fewer square inches of filter material, with larger pores. More and larger particles pass through. The only one benefitting from their use is the seller .................. That goes for ANY application of the product.

The Cap'n
jimtab
OEM....no doubt.
rwilner
Thanks gents. how often do you replace the air filter?
Mark Henry
I have K&N's on the webers in my bus, built the engine in '91 and have close to 70K miles on it.
I hope to tear it down this winter for the scheduled freshen of the heads. I had one head off (to install type 3 cooling gear) a few years ago and I saw absolutely no evidence of damage.
I think the trick is you got to keep it oiled to the point that it makes a mess. I wouldnt use it in a stock air filter but it's better than no filter.
McMark
The idea of the K&N makes some sense if you keep it oiled. Then it's somewhat like an oil bath filter were the filtration is achieved by having particles stick to the oil, rather then having an obstructed path.

The problem is, most people don't oil them, especially the ones that go on carbs.

But I'd still vote OEM if it was my car.
markb
I'll sell K&N's all day long, but you'll never find one on any of my cars.
ConeDodger
I am surprised that you have used them on your newer cars without hesitation but you hesitate to use them on your older car. It probably should be the reverse. I bought a Boxster used with a K&N filter on it. I discovered it had the K&N because the MAF sensor fouled. A buddy of mine wanted to give me a K&N for my 4Runner. I asked why he didn't want it anymore - it kept fouling his MAF sensor. By the way, he did give it to me, it never got used. I have both it and the Boxster one if anyone wants them.
Drums66
QUOTE(Shade Tree @ Jun 30 2010, 09:24 AM) *

I'm running K&N's on my carbs. They suck! I don't even think they protect my carbs from mosquitoes.

Ya......can give the carb's(uneaten type) malaria.......as stated above keep earl
on them! but as for me give me liberty & OEM! idea.gif thumb3d.gif
rwilner
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jul 1 2010, 02:44 PM) *

but as for me give me liberty & OEM! idea.gif thumb3d.gif

I was going to give you some paradiddles....or maybe some swiss army triplets (my favorite)
Drums66
914 Bro......it is because of liberty that we have a choice
( keep on drumming!)

P.S. you made me remmember to practice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.