Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Priming A New Fuel Pump? Advice/Help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
74 2.0 Stock

I have a New Bosch 3 Port Fuel Pump Installed and all fuel lines/tank/injectors/press.reg. are currently empty.. How do I fill the system prior to starting the engine? Do I need to connect the fuel pump directly to the battery and run it? If so how long? Pictured below.. Which side is positive terminal? or does it matter? Any advice appreciatied..
Thanks ..
Click to view attachment

pcar916
I don't know this pump specifically, but all I've run into in the last 10 years have self-primed. Is it under the level of the tank?

Mine is above the fuel cell about 10 inches and has no trouble at all.

Good luck
AvalonFal
The rebuilt pump I received recently had instructions to squirt a few drops of oil into the supply port. The pump on a '74 in the stock location should be gravity fed (lower than the bottom of the tank) and prime up when you turn the key to on (maybe a few times at first). The plastic electrical connector should be marked + or -, at least my rebuilt was. IIRC, the pump will run backwards if + and - are reversed.

Paul
Cap'n Krusty
The positive electrical connector is marked with a ("+"), which should be sufficient for you to identify it. Bosch does that pretty routinely. Note: the ground side is marked with a ("-").

Priming is not necessary if the pump is properly mounted.

The Cap'n
tod914
When I hooked mine up, I just ran 2 leeds from the pump to the battery and ran it for about 5 seconds to get the fuel running through the system. Unless is a POS Chinese knock off, that's all it should take smile.gif
McMark
Flipping the key on and off a few times will get fuel through the system. You'll hear it when it's got fuel.
detoxcowboy
No Prime perfect, it is mounted properly, (my eyesight is fairly poor underneath the car trying to read small + or - raised in plastic..)

This reading of Other Peoples Problems/Solutions re: 914 World has mostly helped me but also caused unwarranted concerns... Thank You.
avidfanjpl
Yep the twisting of the key primes it. I have had my pump out 3 times this year, and completely drained all 3 times. Has not missed a beat when reinstalled!

How weird it is to have my heart race when I saw that new pump?

I must some old fart. I thought a nice set of legs and butt would still be a bigger thrill, but I spent minutes eyeing that pump!

No hope for the teener lost boy.

J
Root_Werks
I've had pulled tanks, new lines, dry pump etc, dropped a couple gallons in, turn the key a couple of times and you can hear the pump run for that second, gurgle some fuel, third time, crank on engine, almost always lights up on the first try.

They prime fast because they sit bellow the fuel level in the tank.
Tom_T
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jun 30 2010, 07:09 AM) *

74 2.0 Stock

I have a New Bosch 3 Port Fuel Pump Installed and all fuel lines/tank/injectors/press.reg. are currently empty.. How do I fill the system prior to starting the engine? Do I need to connect the fuel pump directly to the battery and run it? If so how long? Pictured below.. Which side is positive terminal? or does it matter? Any advice appreciatied..
Thanks ..
Click to view attachment

Joe - did you relocate it to the area behind the steering rack up behind the steering rack cover, per the Porsche+Audi/VoA service bulletin? If not - since you're doing so much to resto yours before the "trip to the far north" - you might want to do that now with the kit from AA to avoid hot weather/long drive vapor lock with it in the stock engine bay position.

Mine was done in late 70's after vapor lock had me stuck in Blythe Denny's for 2-3 hrs. waiting for it to cool down, while on the way to the River one 4th weekend - but nary a problem for 50-70+k miles after reloc.! driving.gif

Email me if you want hi-rez pix of my FP reloc. done by Hans in HB.

It should prime & runs itself with a few key clicks in either position, as the others have said.

Where did you find a source for a proper new Bosch 3 port, as I'll need one for my resto? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.