Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat Belt Receiver Press labels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
JeffBowlsby
I see them both ways, on high quality, low-mile, original 914s.

Which is correct and original?

This first car is George's 10K mile 1974 car.
JeffBowlsby
The 1974 Mark Donohue car
JeffBowlsby
VIN 4732914926
JeffBowlsby
VIN 4732915240
JeffBowlsby
VIN 4732919787
JeffBowlsby
VIN 4732926357
Gustl
from my best knowledge, these should be bright orange

I'll check out some marketing brochures to see if I could find a photo where you can see them new ...

beerchug.gif Gustl
JeffBowlsby
VIN 4742904459
JeffBowlsby
VIN 4742905929
JeffBowlsby
VIN 4752901443
JeffBowlsby
VIN 4752903075
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 30 2010, 12:36 PM) *

I'll check out some marketing brochures to see if I could find a photo where you can see them new ...

beerchug.gif Gustl

I am inclined to think they are bright orange too but find little evidence. The 1973-74 brochures are euro cars...different receivers. Only one photo in a 1975 brochure shows it as orange. If they are to be orange, then they must fade pretty easily for even the best 914s to have them fade.

This from 1973 brochure:
JeffBowlsby
74 brochure
JeffBowlsby
75 brochure
dr914@autoatlanta.com
very bright orange. We had them made and have many exact self stick ones on the shelf.

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 30 2010, 12:31 PM) *

I see them both ways, on high quality, low-mile, original 914s.

Which is correct and original?

This first car is George's 10K mile 1974 car.

Tom_T
Hey Jeff, after we talked about this at your place back at the end of April, at your suggestion I did go back & look up into the recess of the "press" button & sure enough saw a tiny relic of the orange neon color! I'll bet it's the same for the others you've pictured above.

4732901954 - actually is Orange up inside -
Click to view attachment

This "PRESS" discussion reminds me of the old 3 Stooges episode where they took the knobs off of the old 20's- 30's truck to use as "Press Badges" to get into some event -
PRESS - PRESS & Curly with PULL slap.gif

lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Tom_T
As an adjunct to this topic, I found this source online for replacement & rebuilt 914 seatbelts, has anyone used them & are they any good, CW or DD quality, etc.? confused24.gif

http://www.peparts.com/Categories.bok?cate...BELTS%3APorsche
Pat Garvey
They are VERY bright, neon orange. Many were destroyed by usage, or lost the color due to ultraviolet exposure.

Easily replaced. Call George.
Pat
Tom_T
Apparently there are several sources out there for these, in a wide range of prices $2.50 - $9+, but I can't speak for quality on any of them (listed in ascending price).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911...=item439f815182 (he may be member here? "Valy"??)

http://www.peparts.com/Detail.bok?no=120 (same group as repl. seatbelts I noted above)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=67091 (member vendor)

http://www.autoatlanta.org/detail.lasso?Pa...l_number=206039 - AA (as noted by others) - member/advertiser here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-914...sQ5fAccessories

There may be other sources too?

popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 30 2010, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 30 2010, 12:36 PM) *

beerchug.gif Gustl

I am inclined to think they are bright orange too but find little evidence. The 1973-74 brochures are euro cars...different receivers. Only one photo in a 1975 brochure shows it as orange. If they are to be orange, then they must fade pretty easily for even the best 914s to have them fade.

This from 1973 brochure:

Jeff - that neon orange fades pretty quickly for some reason. As a kid I made a plywood skim board & painted it neon orange, which faded to almost white within a year or two of use in the sun on the beach.

The 73 brochure pic may be the same seatbealt receiver as USA (same round silver plunger), but without the "press" label installed - i.e.: just the black plastic inner button of the assy. showing. IIRC they went to the retractable belts for 73 MY, so maybe they shot this pic before the interior design was finalized.

I suggest this, because this same brochure also shows the center console OT gauge with numbers/ticks instead of the final wide red band OT gauge face, as below -

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
tod914
Tom, the bright orange decals were exclusive to the 914 2.0 "S" models.
windforfun
My "73 1.7 has them. They're faded now.
Gustl
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 1 2010, 04:25 PM) *

any evidence for this "theory" idea.gif

Gustl
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jul 1 2010, 05:32 PM) *

My "73 1.7 has them. They're faded now.

same for my '74 1.8 ...

Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 1 2010, 08:25 AM) *

Hardy, Har, Har Tod! In the words of the great Moe ..... "Why I oughtta!....." slap.gif

Wolfgang & Wind4fun, he's just poke.gif fun at me! dry.gif

Just for that Tod, I'm going to start a "914S Registry"! biggrin.gif
.... hmmmmmmm ...... idea.gif shades.gif popcorn[1].gif
tod914
Tom, rumor has it, the "S" designation on the 73 2.0 model year cars were made of the same material as the seat belt decal. Over time they faded, and hence an enigma.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 1 2010, 09:25 AM) *

Little known fact here - the decals were neon green on the LE Grasshopper edition.
Pat (TIC)
MDG
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 1 2010, 07:36 PM) *

Tom, rumor has it, the "S" designation on the 73 2.0 model year cars were made of the same material as the seat belt decal. Over time they faded, and hence an enigma.

av-943.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 1 2010, 04:36 PM) *

Well shoot! ... then I guess I'd better not use that 914-S badge I just got anodized neon orange! sad.gif
Maybe I can get it re-anodized neon green for Pat? idea.gif

Hey Pat, they had a matching 914-LE badge in neon green too!
lol-2.gif

Poor Jeff was trying to have a serious originality topic here, & in come the clowns!
laugh.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 1 2010, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 1 2010, 04:36 PM) *

Well shoot! ... then I guess I'd better not use that 914-S badge I just got anodized neon orange! sad.gif
Maybe I can get it re-anodized neon green for Pat? idea.gif

Hey Pat, they had a matching 914-LE badge in neon green too!
lol-2.gif

Poor Jeff was trying to have a serious originality topic here, & in come the clowns!
laugh.gif

OK, let's get serious here! They were neon orange on the Grasshopper too!

Now, as to the original spin. Here's the deal on fluoro printing. Got this from the original patent holder back in 1970 (the chemist who developed it & made millions from it).

Fluorescent backgrounds are cute, but significantly compromised by UV and fluorescent lighting. The life span is very short before they start changing to different shades. Particularly if your 914 is parked in the sun. Or, if you have high levels of fluoro lighting in your garage.

Talk to the retailers who typically use the colors on markdowm products. They begin fading in 2 weeks. Change from orande to yellow. Because they are surrouned by fkourescent lighting.

There are a couple of guys who have remaunufatered these pieces & they are good. But, expect them to fade quickly too. Two years tops in the sun.

Have some, but will wait to put them on.
Pat
Tom_T
Great info Pat! Sounds about the same color-life as the spray can florescent-orange I used on my skim board back in the 60's. I'm waiting to do labels on mine for the same reason, not to mention a boat-load of other stuff to do first!
tod914
Are the new labels you guys purchased precut or do they come on a sheet?
JeffBowlsby
This NOS receiver was just placed on ebay.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 4 2010, 03:16 PM) *

This NOS receiver was just placed on ebay.

OMG Jeff - The Holy Grail of PRESSing issues! biggrin.gif
... wonder what that will go for? shades.gif

The tougher thing to find/keep in good condition IMHO is the belt on the reel, since it moves through the metal bits & gets frayed over time.

Tod - I haven't bought anything as yet, so I can't speak to your question above.
... maybe others can speak up as to who, what, where for the best quality on the lables, & since they fade so fast, it's probably a good idea to buy 2 sets, so you don't have to hunt when the new ones fade, as Pat said so eloquently!

Happy 4th! flag.gif
jsharp.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.