Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something is just not right with Huey
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
So...just about since the beginning of Nadine and I owning a 914 (17 years with Papa Smurf), all our 914's have been carbureted. Papa started as FI, but within a year was increased to a 2.4/4 and got carbs.

For those of you that have always had factory FI, you wouldn't understand.

Here is the typical procedure we've experienced with a Carbed 914:
1.Turn the key and hear the fuel pump run (hopefully)
2.Wait until it changes tone meaning there is pressure in the lines, and presumably fuel in the carb floats.
3.Pump the gas a few times
4.Turn the key further to start the engine
5.Pump gas wildly
6.Hear engine start, cough, and die
7.Repeat steps 3-6 until the engine stays running by itself - the number of times you must repeat is in direct proportion to how long its been sitting, or how cold it is, or if it's Tuesday, or .....
8.Rev the engine, and it dies.
9.Repeat until you can rev and it idles fine. Usually it lets you know for a few minutes that it preferred to be sleeping by backfiring, coughing, popping, etc. Generally being unhappy.

Yesterday, I jumped in Huey to take him to Black Forest Garage for a few minor things to be addressed. We just last month put in a 3.2 engine with all factory ignition, FI, etc. He's been sitting for about a month since Porschefest, his maiden voyage with the new engine.

So, here's how it went:
1. Turned the key, it started, and idled just fine.....

Hmmm...SOMETHING has GOT to be wrong here. I've NEVER had this happen with Huey...I mean NEVER. I sat waiting for it to stall, waiting for it to cough or make some bad noise. Nothing.

I put it in gear, and drove away. driving.gif

And wow, is that 3.2 nice!!!

Just thought I would share my enjoyment with everyone... smile.gif

Cairo94507
That my friend, is exactly why I believe I am going to be putting a 3.2 with Motronic injection in my 6. Once I begin driving it I want to just drive it and I want it to be bullet proof dependable.
SirAndy
Yepp, the wonders of modern FI ...

The 3.6L always starts with the second revolution of the starter. No cold-start problem, no hot-start problem. No idle problem. No high altitude problem.
Turn the key and drive off ...

Carbs suck!
biggrin.gif Andy
Joe Owensby
My 2056 with Jake's cam, and a SDS efi system starts and idles just like you said your new one does. The SDS system only has an on-off fast idle, so it idles fast until the engine heats up, and then drops down to the standard idle. Not quite as nice as the variable bleed fast idle valves of the newer engines, but it is very drivable and takes no extra care to start and drive- even when it is very cold outside. JoeO
r_towle
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jun 30 2010, 05:43 PM) *

So...just about since the beginning of Nadine and I owning a 914 (17 years with Papa Smurf), all our 914's have been carbureted. Papa started as FI, but within a year was increased to a 2.4/4 and got carbs.

For those of you that have always had factory FI, you wouldn't understand.

Here is the typical procedure we've experienced with a Carbed 914:
1.Turn the key and hear the fuel pump run (hopefully)
2.Wait until it changes tone meaning there is pressure in the lines, and presumably fuel in the carb floats.
3.Pump the gas a few times
4.Turn the key further to start the engine
5.Pump gas wildly
6.Hear engine start, cough, and die
7.Repeat steps 3-6 until the engine stays running by itself - the number of times you must repeat is in direct proportion to how long its been sitting, or how cold it is, or if it's Tuesday, or .....
8.Rev the engine, and it dies.
9.Repeat until you can rev and it idles fine. Usually it lets you know for a few minutes that it preferred to be sleeping by backfiring, coughing, popping, etc. Generally being unhappy.

Yesterday, I jumped in Huey to take him to Black Forest Garage for a few minor things to be addressed. We just last month put in a 3.2 engine with all factory ignition, FI, etc. He's been sitting for about a month since Porschefest, his maiden voyage with the new engine.

So, here's how it went:
1. Turned the key, it started, and idled just fine.....

Hmmm...SOMETHING has GOT to be wrong here. I've NEVER had this happen with Huey...I mean NEVER. I sat waiting for it to stall, waiting for it to cough or make some bad noise. Nothing.

I put it in gear, and drove away. driving.gif

And wow, is that 3.2 nice!!!

Just thought I would share my enjoyment with everyone... smile.gif

Huey never behaves for long.

Rich
naro914
Huey never behaves for long.

Bite your tongue!
rick 918-S
Nice to rule out the fuel system when you trouble shooting stuff. I'm an old school chevy carb guy. Holley, Carter, Rochester, 2-4's, 3-2's what ever. After having F.I. that works I would rather struggle with a TPS, ECM or an AFM than a power valve any day.
naro914
FYI, we ran him in the autocross at Porschefest in Asheville.
I got 5th FTD after a 997 turbo (2 drivers, both fast), 997 GT3 RS World Challenge car, 993 track car with JRZ suspension, and a Boxster in the hands of an avid autocrosser. I ran street old Conti's (used at Targa Newfoundland actually), they all had R compound, or Pilot Sports Cups.

He's slowly but surely starting to come around....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.