Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dip stick
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lucky25
The dip stick tube on my 1.8 broke off at the case, is the a way
of removing it for replacement without removing the motor.

Thanks for any help

Lucky25
underthetire
Think they were just pressed in. A sheetmetal screw and a slide hammer should pop it right out.
Cap'n Krusty
Speaking from A LOT of experience, that's not the case. Best method I've found is to go in from the bottom, thread the inside of the tube as far as possible, screw in a bolt, then punch it out from the top. You want to effectively "pull" it out, as pushing it will expand it enough to really make it stick. Threading a screw in from the top will do the same thing. I've also had some luck using a long drift machined to slip into the tube ans knocking it out. I say "some", because the throry is shaky.

The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
I pulled mine by heating the piss out of the boss with a wet rag on the tube. Grabbed it with some vise-grips and pulled it out. I did this twice. once to remove the buggered tube from my motor, and once to remove a good one to replace the buggered one. I did not even mar the replacement tube when I pulled it this way.
YMMV, of course.
Zach
lucky25
Thanks Guys,
I not sure which direction I'll go but am going to put her up Sunday and take a real good look . will post outcome

Lucky25
jaxdream
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 30 2010, 03:08 PM) *

Speaking from A LOT of experience, that's not the case. Best method I've found is to go in from the bottom, thread the inside of the tube as far as possible, screw in a bolt, then punch it out from the top. You want to effectively "pull" it out, as pushing it will expand it enough to really make it stick. Threading a screw in from the top will do the same thing. I've also had some luck using a long drift machined to slip into the tube ans knocking it out. I say "some", because the throry is shaky.

The Cap'n

Go in from the bottom where ?? If you don't mind explaining where the entry point you refer to is . confused24.gif

Jack / Jaxdream
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.