Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help me get this nut off- trailing arm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche4me
Hello - I have one nut that I cant get off this car - I dropped the motor/trans/right trailing arm all in one piece - and the drivers side trailing arm nut - toward the motor will not budge - the motor is not in the way and the outside nut is off - I have a clean shot at it , but the bolt now spins - I cant double nut the out side of the bolt (not enough threads) this is a tough one - kickin my butt - may have to sazall this out - the car is trashed ( broke in two when I jacked it up) thanks for any help Scott in Savannah building a budget race car for www.chumpcar.com 912-201-017five 9-9pm est thanks
Sleepin
welcome.png

Scott, last one that I had like this I had to take the cutting wheel to. You may try using heat and some PB Blaster first however.
porsche4me
The shaft is spinning - i cant stop it to get the nut off - i think the cutting wheel is coming out tomorrow nite if I cant find a trick before then - thanks
RJMII

welcome.png
porsche4me
do you see my member # - 483 thanks
RJMII
I'm a little late in welcoming you. I've been around since 99... just lost UID and passwords to my other accounts when I took a break for a couple of years. smile.gif

Can you tack weld it to anything to get it to stop spinning? It's too dark to go look under my car right now. a small tack that you can remove later might help.
Jeffs9146
Other people have used a pipe through the wheel studs turned against the floor to keep the hub from spinning while using a 3/4 breaker bar and a long large extension and a bit of heat on the nut!
SirAndy
QUOTE(porsche4me @ Jun 30 2010, 08:44 PM) *
I cant double nut the out side of the bolt (not enough threads) this is a tough one

If you need to save the shaft, get two thinner nuts and double-nut on the outside.

A tack-weld between the shaft and trailing arm might work as well.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
Eric_Shea
Just sawzall it. I've got plenty... freshly zinc plated too.

It's spinning because someone put some aftermarket bushings in there would be my guess.

Shafts are yours for the cost of shipping of you need them.
jt914-6
Jeffs9146....he's not talking about the axle nut.....the shaft/nut that goes through the trailing arm that attaches to the body....

Are you replacing trailing arm bushings??? You could knock the whole shaft out toward the center of the car after the bushings are removed/heated....then put the shaft in a vice and remove the nut....or cut it out and get one from Eric.....
charliew
If it's turning why can't you just drive it out to the inside far enough to get a pipe wrench or vice grips on it?

Oops sorry I forgot the inside mount hole is too small for the shaft to go through. If you can't tack the shaft maybe you can tack the stuck nut to the mount and turn the shaft after double nutting it. I am pretty persistant but I think the cutoff wheel would have been my solution if heat didn't do it.
Spoke
If it's the nut that holds the trailing arm to the chassis, put the outside nut back on and tighten, then loosen the inside one a bit, then loosen the outside one, then inside, then outside, and so on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.