Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gahh! my car won't start!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
outlaw914
Help! i'm used to dealing with old german cars, but 914's have been presented to me in a way that they are completely different. just got this car 6 months ago and has had it normal issues with sitting for a few years but has been reliable. tonight it decides not to start. its got gas, it cranks, its got a good battery. i think i ran it almost out of gas. it is a 72 1.7 with a rebuild to a 1.9. stock fuel injection. help!
RJMII
did you check for spark?
does it crank?
does it start to run and die, or does it just not catch?
70_914
You need to start from the basics and eliminate possible causes. Doesn't really matter what year the car is from or who made it- it needs the basics to run.

Check for fuel.
Check for spark.
Check for compression.

Once you figure out what it doesn't have you can figure out how to make it run.

Tom
Do you for sure have fuel pressure? If not, pump may have gone bad.
Tom
anderssj
Make sure the pump runs , , , if not check the fuse in the center of the relay panel in the engine compartment.

On the 72, I think the heater blower in the engine compartment runs off the same fuse, so that's an easy way to check if it's bad. If the blower runs when you lift the lever in the cockpit, then the fuse is good and you have 12 volts at least that far. Hope this helps.

Best,

Steve A-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.