Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: About to install my Evil Transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cupomeat
As I am getting a whole day with my 914, on Saturday (first time since before thanksgiving last year) and I am planning to install the "evil" transmission.

SO, while this is a pretty straightforward event for me, I thought I would canvas minds as to what I might do as well while I am in there.

I intend to do the following;
1. Pull the transmission without pulling the engine (i've done this before)
2. check the engine rear main seal and replace as needed
3. Check the clutch disc and replace as needed
4. replace the release arm pivot pin bushing

Anything else I should do "WHILE I AM IN THERE"? WTF.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Clutch cable, Shifter Bushings, Cone screws, CV gaskets?
Cupomeat
Yes, good suggestions; beerchug.gif
Clutch cable - I'll inspect and do what is needed there, but this is easy to replace even with the trans in.

Shifter Bushings - relatively new in the car, I'll inspect and replace as needed.

Cone screws - Ah, I don't have extra ones, so time to think on that and see if I need to get them.

CV gaskets? - I plan to replace these already!

Thanks for that help and I am looking forward to driving this car driving.gif after a long winter (a metaphorical season, or course).
tomeric914
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 1 2010, 03:56 PM) *

Clutch cable - I'll inspect and do what is needed there, but this is easy to replace even with the trans in.

I'll be there for moral support and any bolts you can't get off.

I have a spare clutch cable I can bring with me.
windforfun
New ground strap perhaps?
Cupomeat
Well, Tom (Tomeric) came down for a fun filled 914 day and we accomplished everything and more today!

I got the rebuilt trans in and it shifts very nicely!

Other things along the way;
1. Replaced the flywheel as the previous flywheel has very unusual wear patterns on the clutch surface.
2. Replaced the clutch disk
3. Every thing else was perfectly as expected!

Thanks all for your suggestions and THANK YOU Tom!

Pictures to come!
montoya 73 2.0
thumb3d.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 3 2010, 06:41 PM) *

Thanks all for your suggestions and THANK YOU Tom!

Yer welcome! I'm glad the unrelated electrical issue was an easy find.
RJMII
new schnorr washers. smile.gif
Cupomeat
Hmmm, it is very interesting that you mention schnorr washers.

The CV bolts were not very tight when we took off the axles, and I did not have the necessary schnorr washers so, when I torqued the bolts to 31 lb ft, I remarked how I better get 8 of them and install them on my next trip up.

On the other hand, the rebuilt transmission and better clutch action really help make the car enjoyable again.

I am sad that I won't get to drive it again until probably September. I need to get me a BIG Garage and keep it down in NJ with me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.