Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most difficult to replace/repair/fix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
damnfiknow
Reinstalling the fuse box was a killer. It seemed to become bloated the more I tried to push it back into place. Finally I ended using long sheet rock screws and hanging down a couple of inches.
underthetire
I've had my fuse box out several times, never had a problem getting it back in. Clutch tube repair is kind of a PIA, changing the alternator in the car is a PIA, and broken studs on the heat exchangers really suck.
EdwardBlume
Frozen stripped eyebolt connecting the two shift rods..... and having to drill it out... headbang.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 1 2010, 06:33 PM) *

Frozen stripped eyebolt connecting the two shift rods..... and having to drill it out... headbang.gif

There is an eye bolt on the shift linkage?
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(damnfiknow @ Jul 1 2010, 06:17 PM) *

Reinstalling the fuse box was a killer. It seemed to become bloated the more I tried to push it back into place. Finally I ended using long sheet rock screws and hanging down a couple of inches.

sweet jesus! sheet rock screws?.. I guess I have seen worse.. .. there should be threaded holes for M5x12mm bolts.. (5mm diameter, 12mm long)... I know it can be a extra pain, but I have found fixing things right make it much easier the next time..and there will be a next time... Fixing threads, getting the right hardware, postioning things correctly.. I used to dread some projects on my car because I knew the fuggered up and difficult things I had to remove to get there, Not like that anymore took alot of extra effort projects to get things straight.. anyways no issue, I am sure you have alot of heart.. Just trying to help you make it easy on yourself..

-wiper motor
-suspension bushings
jsayre914
QUOTE(damnfiknow @ Jul 1 2010, 09:17 PM) *

Most difficult to replace/repair/fix, Whats your opinion

The driver
lol-2.gif
championgt1
If the fuse box is hanging down a couple inches you are going to knock fuses out all the time.
roadster fan
so far for me....alternator and master cylinder. trying to get those blasted hoses into the grommets on top of the MC almost drove me nuts the first time. The second time I did it, it was much easier tho.

Jim
RiqueMar
Maybe I'm a rookie, but I find the wiper motor with that 'rubber bolt' to be a pain.

Dash pad nuts/screws, ugh! ar15.gif
Rear Brake lines, where they connect to the body headbang.gif
Oh! And the engine rubber! You know! That goes into that little slit around the engine! hissyfit.gif
jt914-6
Replacing the fresh air box and getting the cables right......replacing the alt. on a six with the engine in the car.....PITA
6freak
Rear trailing arm bushings and bearings...from stock to polybronze...lots of cuss words made up that week
76-914
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jul 2 2010, 05:28 AM) *

Replacing the fresh air box and getting the cables right......replacing the alt. on a six with the engine in the car.....PITA

agree.gif Removing or installing that air box is a bitch!
windforfun
Holes in the heater tubes. What a PITA that was.
type47
Camshaft 'cuz you have to take off all that engine stuff to get to it. Plus, Raby won't sell a cam to you without you buying his heads (which are beautiful but expensive to a CSOB) confused24.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 2 2010, 07:31 AM) *

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jul 2 2010, 05:28 AM) *

agree.gif Removing or installing that air box is a bitch!

....I could'nt have said it better!,and I agree hissyfit.gif
rwilner
i don't have tons of projects under my belt yet but i'm going to say removing and installing SSIs...many hours of work to get them bolted up right and eliminate exhaust leaks. I almost spent the night at Ray's place!

i'm going to remove my trans in a few months for a rebuild by Blue Sky, so we'll see how that goes...

tod914
Hmmm, most difficult.. how about my chronic drip.
underthetire
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 2 2010, 07:23 PM) *

Hmmm, most difficult.. how about my chronic drip.

You know they have penicillin for that now, right?
FourBlades
Fixing a rusted out cowl was the most time consuming body repair I did.

Click to view attachment

This took several all day efforts to fix.

John
kart54
The hose between the air box and the throttle body on the L jet injection. It is NLA and is not available as an aftermarket part.

I raced the car in G prod before selling it and I had 2 back ups. One from Cap'n Krusty and another from a porsche owner in the midwest just in case. I was required to run that set up to race in G prod and the one that I had originally with the car completely disintegrated.

Kart 54
bandjoey
EVERYTHING! Except changing a tire. blink.gif
PlaysWithCars
Surprised no one has said it yet: replacing the battery tray, and the tray support, and oh yeah, the engine shelf. And of course if the rust made it that far... the right hand suspension console.

Not really too bad with patience. The worst part was getting the piece of metal dremeled out of my eye after taking out the spot welds for above mentioned pieces. Apparently safety glasses were not enough for this job. Next time - goggles.
Geezer914
Replacing the head temp sensor that broke off in the head! #*@!&#
ArtechnikA
The short brake hard line between the connector in the tunnel and the proportioning valve. It has 2 bends that must be in exactly the right places and threaded between the bulkheads. You can get the 'right' part from Porsche and while it will be the right length, it will not come pre-bent...
PanelBilly
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Jul 2 2010, 10:26 PM) *

Surprised no one has said it yet: replacing the battery tray, and the tray support, and oh yeah, the engine shelf. And of course if the rust made it that far... the right hand suspension console.

Not really too bad with patience. The worst part was getting the piece of metal dremeled out of my eye after taking out the spot welds for above mentioned pieces. Apparently safety glasses were not enough for this job. Next time - goggles.

The hell hole was difficult to work in, but I had the hardest time with the sail panels and welding the new section on. After weeks of attempting to get the inside curve between the sail and the fender panel just right, I finely asked a friend to help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.