Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My car is unsafe to drive on public roads, on BOOST!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iamchappy
I grew up driving a lot of fast things, I raced twin engined Enduro Karts as a kid. raced snowmobiles, had a 390 AMX in High school and drove my brothers SS 396 Nova. I had a KZ1000 motor cycle, but nothing has scared me more than when my car digs into boost in 3rd gear and runs through 5th. Everything passes by way to quickly, when i slow down from warp speed - i ask myself "What Just Happened". confused24.gif

As long as i putt around out of the boost i will be ok driving.gif but when i do get into the boost, this car is trouble! w00t.gif

Here are some new photo's i took this week.

DBCooper
Ha ha ha! I know the feeling, though to a slightly lesser degree. You know what's odd? You can try to describe this to someone who's happy with a stock 1.8 and they'll nod knowingly, as if in careful consideration, but as the conversation progresses you realize they have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It's such a cool thing that you want to share, but as hard as you try you can't. For them to understand you have to give them a ride.
iamchappy
The next 914 i plan to build someday is going to be much tamer.

In the Turbo car i can handle 3rd through 4th with some fear as i am probably going around 100, but grabbing 5th is a no no...
BigDBass
happy11.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif beerchug.gif
Hope you've got good tires! biggrin.gif
iamchappy
Toyo RA-1's.......no worries there....
Phoenix-MN
"As long as i putt around out of the boost i will be ok but when i do get into the boost, this car is trouble! "

hissyfit.gif Cry me a river poke.gif
tod914
Very nice Chappy. What's your impression of the AMX? I was always interested in those.
effutuo101
Sweet! I would love to see you go against a 911. the look on that drivers face would be epic.
montoya 73 2.0
Beautiful car Chappy! wub.gif I wish I had that problem sooner than later. Nice driveway by the way but the grass growing in between the pavers is detracting from the car! slap.gif lol-2.gif I bet thats on your Honey do list! dry.gif
KELTY360
So what you're saying is that you've achieved that elusive grail.......enough horsepower.

Actually that wouldn't be true. You've gone beyond enough into the realm of too much. But if you had less than you have now it might not be enough at which point you'd have to increase HP back to the realm of too much in order to have enough. headbang.gif I feel for you.

We need a dog chasing tail smilie.
iamchappy
AMX is fast for that era muscle car, smaller than you think. rare and not overpriced yet.
I have really wanted to get another one, i had one and my Dad had one. My Dad bought his new, a copper 390 go pack 1968 with white stripes. sharp car.
They are not very solid, rattles here and there.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jul 2 2010, 08:29 AM) *

AMX is fast for that era muscle car, smaller than you think. rare and not overpriced yet.
I have really wanted to get another one, i had one and my Dad had one. My Dad bought his new, a copper 390 go pack 1968 with white stripes. sharp car.

I spent a 1/2 hour this AM going through your build thread.....

Dude, your car is AWESOME!!!! beer.gif

You need to have your head screwed on tight and lots of experience to drive that much power....
turboman808
I've got a worked 2.7 and it's pretty tame under 5000 rpm. Above it can get pretty scary.

With the boost you get that big torque under 3000 rpm if you floor it. Can break the rear loose real quick.

Funny how motors may have the same power but the way it delivers it can effect the driveability.
veltror
Just try and keep to under double the speed limit at all times ....
jcambo7
I can understand somewhat! My car isn't as fast as yours but in 4th gear I can get up to 120 or so and it is crazy how fast it gets there when I step on it!
Man I love your car! It is freaking gorgeous! wub.gif
jmill
Fantastic. I've only felt that once in my fathers Pantera. That sucker was so fast that you felt like you could pull back on the steering wheel and go vertical.
db9146
Any idea how much HP or torque you are cranking out? I've always heard you can never have too much but maybe they were wrong.....all I know is I'm not there.
messix
give it a couple of months you'll get used to it.... and than want more!
SirAndy
QUOTE(db9146 @ Jul 2 2010, 11:55 AM) *
I've always heard you can never have too much .....

I tend to dis-agree ...

Every car has a point where more HP will simply overwhelm the suspension and traction is lost.
At that point, not only are you wasting all the HP but driving also gets quite dangerous ...

Power is fun in a 914. Case in point, on my way to work this morning, there's a really tight on-ramp to get on 24. It's a tight 180 with a radius of maybe 50 feet and uphill.

I got in a bit hot, tapped the brakes and downshifted into 2nd and did a 4-wheel drift up the hill around the 180 with the tires smoking the whole way. Once i got straight again at the top and i started to get back grip i lost traction for a second going over the crest, then off onto the freeway.

At no point did i feel i had lost control, but things happen really fast and you do have to be careful ...
driving.gif Andy
rfuerst911sc
I have a normally aspirated 3.0 in mine and it's scary fast I can't imagine what yours is like ! And I love your car but I really like what you have done with that front valance. It has inspired me to copy it !
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 2 2010, 12:04 PM) *
Case in point, on my way to work this morning, there's a really tight on-ramp to get on 24. It's a tight 180 with a radius of maybe 50 feet and uphill.

Here Yugo ...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...mp;t=k&z=19

biggrin.gif Andy
iamchappy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 2 2010, 02:09 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 2 2010, 12:04 PM) *
Case in point, on my way to work this morning, there's a really tight on-ramp to get on 24. It's a tight 180 with a radius of maybe 50 feet and uphill.

Here Yugo ...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...mp;t=k&z=19

biggrin.gif Andy

Andy, did it get your heart rate up.....
JmuRiz
Nice map, that really is a sharp entry ramp!
SirAndy
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jul 2 2010, 12:33 PM) *
Andy, did it get your heart rate up.....

Most certainly ... cheer.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jul 2 2010, 08:10 AM) *

I grew up driving a lot of fast things, I raced twin engined Enduro Karts as a kid. raced snowmobiles, had a 390 AMX in High school and drove my brothers SS 396 Nova. I had a KZ1000 motor cycle, but nothing has scared me more than when my car digs into boost in 3rd gear and runs through 5th. Everything passes by way to quickly, when i slow down from warp speed - i ask myself "What Just Happened". confused24.gif

As long as i putt around out of the boost i will be ok driving.gif but when i do get into the boost, this car is trouble! w00t.gif

Here are some new photo's i took this week.

Wimp!

Twin turbo that bitch & stop whining and start driving.gif
Thoward914
I think you have reach the age of understanding mortality. Unfortunately I reach it too early in life and never took chances. Currently I own the fastest car I've ever had in my 30 years of driving, 2003 996. The difference I feel between my 914 and the 996 is that in the 914 I'm more connected to the car and feel the speed. In the 996, I've been stuck behind a couple of cars on the freeway and went to pass. Once I'm around them i look down and I'm doing 110 mph, and I feel like I'm hardly moving?
messix
never mind
iamchappy
I'm leaving to go pickup Ollie from work now, I am going to stay off the Highway......
J P Stein
Take some time and look under a Z06 , GT3 or some such. Their power to weight ratio (around 7.7 to 1) is not as edgy as your 914, me thinks. Thems are 295 or 315s in the back of those.
orange914
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Jul 2 2010, 07:31 AM) *

"As long as i putt around out of the boost i will be ok but when i do get into the boost, this car is trouble! "

hissyfit.gif Cry me a river poke.gif

av-943.gif
gotta say i enjoy watching this car & the "alian"
some really nice builds

wanna trade??? biggrin.gif
orange914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jul 2 2010, 08:29 AM) *

one sold at the o.c. barrett-jackson last week.

lot #320.1

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application...=06%2f27%2f2010
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.