Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oklahoma Foreign Junk Yard
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcambo7
So I went to this junk yard to see if they had any oil coolers I could put on my 914 and also asked if they had 914's. Well they had 3 with quite a few stuff still left on them. They said they also had a couple more but they were pretty much bare. I will try to get the VIN numbers from those ones soon. I added these three to the VIN database though. I saw a lot of good parts left on these three also. Some that I might go and buy for my self. I am willing to look for someone else that is needing something and get it for them.

VIN 4742916373
1.7 FI The FI harness and brain were all there too.
It has NGK spark plug wires
The MPS was sitting in the rear truck and looked like it was in good condition
Click to view attachment

VIN4752906741
This one had no engine.
This ones rear left trailing arm is there but you just can't see it well with a pic. It is pushed forward and under the car.
Click to view attachment

VIN 4742920521 2.0 Carb
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Jul 2 2010, 09:42 AM) *
I added these three to the VIN database

smilie_pokal.gif Thank you Sir!

VIN 4742920521

Mhhmmm ... idea.gif
'74, L041 factory black, 2.0L, VIN within the known range for LE's idea.gif

popcorn[1].gif Andy
windforfun
This is very very very sad. I suppose the same thing will happen to me when I'm old & NOT useless.
snakemain
I've been wanting to go down there and see what they had. We'll see what I need when I get further into my restoration.
TheCabinetmaker
I got all my used parts from them in the 70's and 80's, but they very seldom have any 914's anymore. I have more than they do!!!! LOL
snakemain
Right now all I need is 1. And it's in a hundred pieces. And 2 extra engines. And an extra interior. Soon as I have a running car, everything extra has got to go before I move again.
jcambo7
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 2 2010, 12:07 PM) *

I added these three to the VIN database

smilie_pokal.gif Thank you Sir!

VIN 4742920521

Mhhmmm ... idea.gif
'74, L041 factory black, 2.0L, VIN within the known range for LE's idea.gif

popcorn[1].gif Andy

You're welcome Andy. Now I am wondering if their is way to have it so they are not shown as my vehicles in the VIN data base? Or does that not matter?

What would I have to do to find out if the 2.0 is a LE?
poorsche914
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Jul 2 2010, 03:36 PM) *

According to the registry site, "VIN 16764 is the last 914 Porsche Can Am Limited Edition VIN authenticated in PCNA records."
So the junk yard VIN 20521 is far beyond that final number.
jcambo7
Oh well... Here is another pic I took of pretty much the side of the junk yard I was on.
Click to view attachment
As you can see they have tons of Porsche's back there and it was kind of a sad sight to see. It felt like a grave yard...
SirAndy
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jul 2 2010, 12:42 PM) *
According to the registry site, "VIN 16764 is the last 914 Porsche Can Am Limited Edition VIN authenticated in PCNA records."

Ah yes, i forgot that Jeff has updated the range. I need to change the VIN listing code to reflect that.

With it being 4000 cars off the last known one, i guess chances are pretty slim this could actually be a bumble-bee ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Jul 2 2010, 12:36 PM) *
Now I am wondering if their is way to have it so they are not shown as my vehicles in the VIN data base? Or does that not matter?

I took the VINs out of your profile ...

As for the black car, the best way to find out is too look for the additional tabs on the body that hold the LE front valance.
Even if the valance was replaced, few people would actually cut off the tabs. They are unique to LE vehicles only.

idea.gif Andy
jcambo7
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jul 2 2010, 01:46 PM) *

I got all my used parts from them in the 70's and 80's, but they very seldom have any 914's anymore. I have more than they do!!!! LOL

Well they said they have a few more tucked away some where but they are pretty much bare. The three they showed me had the most stuff on them according to them.

Snakemain-If you do end up going there I would like to join you and help you out if you need it! I will be going there probably next week at some point. Need a couple things for one of my tops and some other odds and ends.
SirAndy
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jul 2 2010, 12:42 PM) *

Wait a minute ...

16764 is the last that has a good COA, but there's 3 on that list that are very close to the VIN above.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I wouldn't dismiss 20521 that quickly. Maybe someone can check and see if it has the tabs for the valance and/or some yellow paint on the rockers ...
shades.gif Andy
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 2 2010, 01:00 PM) *

few people would actually cut off the tabs. They are unique to LE vehicles only.

About those tabs...correct that most wouldn't remove them, but they are simple sheet metal brackets that bolt on under the front torsiopn bar mounting cap cover bolts. Not hard to remove them, but most don't have the large allen wrench to do it adn they don't require cutting tools...
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 2 2010, 01:09 PM) *

Wait a minute ...

16764 is the last that has a good COA, but there's 3 on that list that are very close to the VIN above.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I wouldn't dismiss 20521 that quickly. Maybe someone can check and see if it has the tabs for the valance and/or some yellow paint on the rockers ...
shades.gif Andy

Not quite right Sir...

The LE Registry has the details, its not that we just don't have COAs on those VINs above 16764. According to PCNAs records, VINs included above 16764 may have the correct paint code for an LE (thats why they might look like an LE), but not the correct M-778 Can Am Equipment, so PCNA does not recognize them as legit LE cars.

biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 2 2010, 01:40 PM) *
The LE Registry has the details, its not that we just don't have COAs on those VINs above 16764. According to PCNAs records, VINs included above 16764 may have the correct paint code for an LE (thats why they might look like an LE), but not the correct M-778 Can Am Equipment, so PCNA does not recognize them as legit LE cars.

I read that, that's why i said "16764 is the last that has a good COA" ...

The question is, do we trust PCNA or do we trust Porsche?

PCNA COA's are notoriously incorrect at best. dry.gif
I wouldn't be at all surprised if cars left the factory as LE's AFTER 16764.
21331 seems to be pretty well documented.

I understand your desire to have a official cut off date/vin for the LE production. biggrin.gif

But i don't think it hurts to at least look at '74 cars that are out of the range yet have the potential to be a LE ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
jcambo7
popcorn[1].gif
I will have to check on that car next time I go up there! idea.gif
JeffBowlsby
In total agreement with you Andy...we are of like mind. I include those late VIN cars on the registry because not only are they are interesting, but they are or may be important as more information becomes known over time. PCNA has shown a positive recent trend towards better accuracy when preparing or correcting the COAs. While there is room for improvement, their records can only be what they are and they can only report what their records show. 21331 is baffling because the car appears to have the M-778 equipment on it and it even has the original window sticker showing its factory equipment that is identical to every other LE window sticker, but PCNA's records do not indicate it has that equipment. Teh targa vinyl and bright targa trim are unexplained. We may never know the real story on 21331 and the late VIN cars.

I also have an unpublished list of cars that are either obviously known fakes or are potential LEs but there are just too many questions to include/recognize them in any way publically. Check this one out...its a 1976 car.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 2 2010, 01:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 2 2010, 01:40 PM) *

I read that, that's why i said "16764 is the last that has a good COA" ...

The question is, do we trust PCNA or do we trust Porsche?

PCNA COA's are notoriously incorrect at best. dry.gif
I wouldn't be at all surprised if cars left the factory as LE's AFTER 16764.
21331 seems to be pretty well documented.

I understand your desire to have a official cut off date/vin for the LE production. biggrin.gif

But i don't think it hurts to at least look at '74 cars that are out of the range yet have the potential to be a LE ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
ClayPerrine
Last time we were at Oklahoma Foreign, I got all the vin numbers from the 914s that were in the back. Most were really stripped.

Those look like recent arrivals.

jcambo7
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 2 2010, 10:21 PM) *

Last time we were at Oklahoma Foreign, I got all the vin numbers from the 914s that were in the back. Most were really stripped.

They didn't look too recent but who knows. Next week I plan on getting a few small parts off them and possibly some center console stuff off them for barberdave. The three they showed me were pretty much complete More than I expected at least. All three had their targa tops with them and were in decent shape.
project-914

well, I was there about three years ago when they got them

they were trying to sell them as whole vehicles, well one of the black ones they were asking 3000+ and it had water in the gauge cluster... potential flood vehicle?

the primer and green one looked like that when it showed up... the guy said it was an abandoned project (which is what it looks like)

don't quote me on those things as I am not 100%

hey jcam, I want to go to too so let me know...I get off work at 4:30 weekdays or 4:00 if you want to dodge some traffic! shades.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(project-914 @ Jul 3 2010, 04:07 PM) *

well, I was there about three years ago when they got them

they were trying to sell them as whole vehicles, well one of the black ones they were asking 3000+ and it had water in the gauge cluster... potential flood vehicle?

the primer and green one looked like that when it showed up... the guy said it was an abandoned project (which is what it looks like)

don't quote me on those things as I am not 100%

hey jcam, I want to go to too so let me know...I get off work at 4:30 weekdays or 4:00 if you want to dodge some traffic! shades.gif

I will definitely let you know when I go again. We could take my 914.
project-914
sounds great
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.