Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs & Bumpers Q's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cambo
I'm picking up my first 914 in a couple weeks and I'm already window shopping for parts. Is that a bad sign that I've got the sickness?

Here's the questions: It's a 75 with the big bumpers. I'd like to backdate to chrome ones. I did a search and realize there's some work to do to do this but is there a certain year I should be looking for or does it matter?

2nd question: I'd like get 2.0 fuchs. Are the repro's bad news? (american eagle series 073) I think they look pretty cool but I'm willing to shop for real ones too. Just wondering what the opinions are. Sometimes the real ones are a little pricey.

Thanks for the help.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
remove the original factory 75 76 bumpers and destroy the value of the car. There are too many good deals on factory used fuchs to buy the heavy aftermarket cheap repros

QUOTE(Cambo @ Jul 2 2010, 10:15 AM) *

I'm picking up my first 914 in a couple weeks and I'm already window shopping for parts. Is that a bad sign that I've got the sickness?

Here's the questions: It's a 75 with the big bumpers. I'd like to backdate to chrome ones. I did a search and realize there's some work to do to do this but is there a certain year I should be looking for or does it matter?

2nd question: I'd like get 2.0 fuchs. Are the repro's bad news? (american eagle series 073) I think they look pretty cool but I'm willing to shop for real ones too. Just wondering what the opinions are. Sometimes the real ones are a little pricey.

Thanks for the help.

Cambo
If the repro's are poor quality I could see staying away from them. As far as weight, I thought I read that they are about 4 pounds heavier than factory fuchs. Is that right? Is sixteen pounds a big deal with a 914? I'm just a Newb that doesn't know...

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 2 2010, 10:25 AM) *

remove the original factory 75 76 bumpers and destroy the value of the car. There are too many good deals on factory used fuchs to buy the heavy aftermarket cheap repros

Thanks for the help.

70_914
1973 and earlier chrome bumpers did not have the 3mph extensions mounted on them. There would be no extra holes, and you would get the look you want at that point.

If you are going to drive your car then the repops might be a better investment so that you are not getting brake dust, road grime and possible rash on real Fuchs. The finish is anodized so they will not stand up to use forever.

Wheels are not permanent, bumpers are a personal choice. It comes down to what you plan to do with the car and what you prefer. If your car is a 2.0 model with the appearance package and it is in good shape, maybe keep it original. If it is a 1.8 that has no appearance package and is in poor shape it won't be worth the money put into it to restore it to original.

Porsche made over 115,000 914 4 cylinder cars, 11,000 in 1975. It is not a low production super investment. Do what you want with YOUR car, but it is a Porsche so do it better than half-@$$ed.

Post pictures when you have them and welcome.png

(I bet the concours guys are trying to find an address online for me so I can get something special in the mail... stromberg.gif )

Kevin
kkid

Hey, cambo,

If you're in bay area, check this out.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pts/1818954480.html

Not bad price if it's an original 2.0 fuchs and comes with tires, too.
Cambo
Oh, it's a 1.8 by the way. I thought I might see weight savings by changing out the bumpers but I hadn't considered the value of keeping the car all original.
TheCabinetmaker
I dumped my big ugly rubber bumpers years ago. I don't really think it will affect prices in the future, but I'll NEVER sell mine any way, so who cares! My75 now has backdated HE's and bumpers.
Cap'n Krusty
Be sure to get the lug bolts with any original Fuchs (of Mahles, for that matter) that you buy.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.