Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 project - continued
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brand mountain
hello everyone.

figured it would be best to start a new thread for the continuation of this project... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1274393

i was introduced to this website after purchasing the car from eric clark in tucson. had originally intended to buy his rotisserie only, but made a package deal and now have 2 projects! the intent with this car is to gain some experience and enjoy a little 914 time before building a GT tribute (the other project).

it has been interesting so far learning about the car and putting it back together. i've been involved with vw's and early porsche's for a while, but this is our first 914. i'll post pics of the progress as it goes, and i'm sure i'll have some questions too.

so far this site has been a valuable resource and seems to have a great group of people contributing. looking forward to putting it all together, and actually driving the car!!

Click to view attachment
brand mountain
here are some more photos of the car after i bought it...

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
brand mountain
here is the car after paint... L99A is the original color, and it really looks sharp on the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Sweeet! Ravenna?
smile.gif
brand mountain
it's delphi green metallic. i was a little unsure of it until i saw it on the car.

Click to view attachment
Cire
Sweet man!!! Please keep the pictures coming. = ) It should be GREAT when you get her done. Thanks for thinking about me. Greatly appreciated. The house fell through 3 days before closing so I am still here in Tucson. I hope if you ever need help with anything I could get an invite up. = )

Thanks again!

Eric
Gint
Delphi! You're my hero. Wait till you get it finished. When you have shiny fresh delphi with nice clean rubber and black and silver bits installed on it it will really look great.
Gustl
QUOTE(brand mountain @ Jul 2 2010, 08:25 PM) *

here is the car after paint... L99A is the original color, and it really looks sharp on the car.

Click to view attachment

very nice - absolutely like it smilie_pokal.gif
charliew
Neat color. Are you interested in some t3 parts? I've got lots of parts that belong to a friend taking up space at my place they are cheap. Lots of quarterpanels. He raced a t3 fastback. Two complete hatchbacks one is a auto fi and a fastback not counting all the parts.
EdwardBlume
It does look sharp... nice work! smilie_pokal.gif
brand mountain
A little more progress on the body and interior. Got both doors hung and upholstered with new GT style panels. Easy fit and look very cool. Front trunk is pretty much set just needs seals and wiring. The windshield wasn't too bad to install, and we went with the chrome trim replacement rubber. That was the hardest part, but a little super glue and some excess window weld kept the corners down. Actually referred to a great thread install on this site which helped a lot.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
drooley.gif
brand mountain
More pics of the windshield and front trunk details. Also got a rear reflector installed on the tail end. Haven't decided on what to do with the sail panels. maybe black paint or new vinyl, i kinda like it body color too...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
brand mountain
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
BigDBass
Looking good! popcorn[1].gif

welcome.png

Delphi is my 2nd favorite color. It was my #1 favorite while I shopped for a Delphi 914. Ended up with a Ravenna. (Guess what my favorite 914 color is now? biggrin.gif )
brand mountain
i guess that would be a "dumb question"? rolleyes.gif

or based on your pic with the kids maybe it's poop brown... i can definitely relate to that one! i'm going to be doing a 914/6 conversion and trying to figure out the color. ravenna is in the running.

QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jul 12 2010, 02:36 PM) *

Delphi is my 2nd favorite color. It was my #1 favorite while I shopped for a Delphi 914. Ended up with a Ravenna. (Guess what my favorite 914 color is now? biggrin.gif )

brand mountain
got a little further last saturday "restoring" the seat, and top mounts and adding a nice used steering column from ebay. this coming weekend should be really productive! hope to get the dash in, complete the interior and mount the front and rear bumpers.

DanT
delphi green metallic is a fine color once it is all put back together.... biggrin.gif

nice work
markb
welcome.png

Nice color, and nice progress on the car. smilie_pokal.gif
Gigamight
You are making me feel so unproductive......

Great looking car, and great progress. Looks like you're doing a top notch build, keep up the good work.

(Jealous right now of you AZ guys with no salt on your roads... Ohio does bad things to cars icon8.gif )
nsr-jamie
Wow! Thats a really nice car you have there....can I ask where did you get your GT door panels? I am hoping to get a set of those too myself. Thank you and cheers.
brand mountain
didn't get everything done as i had hoped (typical for me). got the dash and the rear bumper on however. had to fabricate a couple brackets (one twice) and still might make a few adjustments to the fit, but it's close. is there a company that makes brackets specifically for fiberglass bumpers? probably depends on the mfg...

NSR-JAMIE >> as far as the GT door panels, i bought them off ebay. they are good quality, but the release strap didn't work with the clip they supplied. had to use a small nut and bolt to attach it to the release mechanism.

Click to view attachment
brand mountain
so it has been a while since i've updated the photos... here we go. trim, bumper/rocker panels, wiring, dash, paint, and brakes are done. car starts and sounds pretty mean. can't wait to get it on the pavement!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
brand mountain
painted the top rockers, and bumpers, but not sure the satin finish they said it would have is right. might have to repaint, but leaving these shiny for now.

Click to view attachment
brand mountain
Click to view attachment

and on the car...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
brand mountain
now to the mounting of the trunk... using pins since the hinge mounts are non existant. eventually will go with a fiberglass lid too.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
brand mountain
and the motor...

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
jasons
Did ES on Cave Creek paint your car? I saw it there when they were prepping it.
brand mountain
we took some video of the motor starting and it actually fired and ran the first time. i think it was a little too noisy inside, so we'll wait until i can get it outside on the ground to post. hopefully it drives great and there are no issues. bought the car without driving it, so we'll see. need to find a way to slip this one up and in...

Click to view attachment

brand mountain
QUOTE(jasons @ Sep 12 2010, 10:54 AM) *

Did ES on Cave Creek paint your car? I saw it there when they were prepping it.

hey jasons. yeah, and they did a decent job for the price. unfortunately there were some crazing issues with the drivers door and they had to paint it multiple times. they also had a hard time matching the color. the previous owner had fixed all of the rust issues, did some chassis strengthening and primed it, but i did have them smooth a few areas on the body. the car is going to be a track car mostly, so didn't opt for a super fancy paint job.
jasons
Yeah it looks good in pics. I would like to see it in person some time. I have a car that will get a similar quality paint job. Your engine is missing some tin isn't it?
914werke
Very Nice aktion035.gif I like the custom touches
did you omit the R. deck hinges on purpose?
Gonna be a bit of a bitch when you want to stow the roof sad.gif
brand mountain
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 12 2010, 11:25 AM) *

Very Nice aktion035.gif I like the custom touches
did you omit the R. deck hinges on purpose?
Gonna be a bit of a bitch when you want to stow the roof sad.gif

not that worried about it. probably only have the roof on during storage or track time anyways. rain in az doesn't come along that often and this car doesn't have side windows installed either.
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(brand mountain @ Sep 12 2010, 10:53 AM) *

and the motor...

Click to view attachment

Are you going from the headers straight out on both sides, no crossover pipe?
brand mountain
QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Sep 12 2010, 02:34 PM) *

QUOTE(brand mountain @ Sep 12 2010, 10:53 AM) *

and the motor...

Click to view attachment

Are you going from the headers straight out on both sides, no crossover pipe?

it's a kerry hunter collector header system, dumped into a straight pipe.
brand mountain
well happy new year! ending the year by getting the car done proved to be too great a challenge to complete. however, it's really close, and i certainly didn't expect to have to rebuild the motor. after running it for a few times, it started dripping oil out the exhaust. pulled the motor apart, and noticed the rod bearings were looking real bad... #3 being the worst. one cylinder had a large "rust puddle" low spot that would not hone out so we flipped it hoping oil wouldn't collect and have less a chance to get through. balanced the rods, replaced the bearings and replaced the rings too. everything else seemed to be in good order, so back together, test ran it on the ground and finally back in the car.

finally drove it (just before xmas) and i have to say the structural mods that eric did make the car extremely solid and tight. it feels really really good! it feels awesome driving it, and i think this is going to make a super solid and fun racer for someone.

all seemed well except for a bad transmission leak. replaced the shift selector seal (found another thread with a similar problem) and will be running and driving again this week - fingers crossed!

just a couple more final touches and the car will be going up for sale. just in time for the annual auction traffic i suppose. anyways, its been a great project and i can't wait to get on to the GT. here's some recent photos...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

jasons
QUOTE(brand mountain @ Jan 3 2011, 03:10 PM) *

just a couple more final touches and the car will be going up for sale.

Congrats.... Whats up with the missing tin around the motor?
brand mountain
QUOTE(jasons @ Jan 3 2011, 07:27 PM) *

thanks jasons. it didn't have the tins around the motor when i got it. so i assume they were removed to lighten the weight... ;] not sure if they are necessary for cooling purposes, but it seems like it should be ok without?
mepstein
QUOTE(brand mountain @ Jan 4 2011, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(jasons @ Jan 3 2011, 07:27 PM) *

thanks jasons. it didn't have the tins around the motor when i got it. so i assume they were removed to lighten the weight... ;] not sure if they are necessary for cooling purposes, but it seems like it should be ok without?

No, You need the tin. - All of it.
jasons
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 4 2011, 02:46 PM) *

agree.gif

Thats why I asked. I bet I have some spares of the missing pieces laying around. Post some more pics so I can be sure of what you are missing.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 4 2011, 01:46 PM) *

agree.gif

And a pedal board ... shades.gif
brand mountain
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 4 2011, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 4 2011, 01:46 PM) *

agree.gif

And a pedal board ... shades.gif

thanks for the confirmations all! i've got a nice aluminum pedal board - engman i think? i'll get some more pics of the motor up so you can see what i have/don't have...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.