Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just curious, do 6'ers leak oil as notoriously as the 4's?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
curt914
Was doing some work under the car.

Became disgusted at the sight of all the oil coating everything on what was, not too long ago, a clean engine, trans and underside.

Made me wonder if the 6 cylindar engines have the same propensity for leaking?

So...... are the 6'ers more tidy?

Curt

Happy 4th of July weekend everyone! smile.gif
DanT
who says the type 4 has to be oily on the bottom biggrin.gif

by the way, 4 or 6, all can be just as messy as the other.
SirAndy
QUOTE(curt914 @ Jul 2 2010, 03:07 PM) *
So...... are the 6'ers more tidy?

Can't speak for others here but on my car, the only oil-drip i get is from the connection that goes to the bottom of the oil-tank. I used AN fittings to connect the two hoses but it has been leaking ever so slightly since day one. Tried to clean it and get it to seal during the last two oil-changes, no luck.

The motor itself is dry ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
Drums66
....From my experience with Porsche period!......these cars sweat oil?
and are dirt magnet's(engine & transmission) confused24.gif idea.gif bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif
ripper911
Last time I had my car in the shop, a 4 banger, they had to completely clean/degrease the underside of the engine because "they couldn't even tell there was an engine in there". Turns out my oil cooler is leaking...
pcar916
Old ones do, new ones don't.

I haven't had a big leaker, with the exception of part failures like the oil-sending units, in a long time. I build with Dupont 730. Expensive(i.e. $90/tube) but works.

Lot's of early motors both 4's and 6's fair better when they're align-bored and have all surfaces "trued". But they benefit from new sealants and silicon o-rings.

The old air-cooled aircraft-engine builders used to put a silk thread into the sealer-bead between the case-half's to help with that problem.

Mag cases and carburetors are like that too. Plenty of folks have carbs that leak when they simply need the mating-surfaces milled true again. And it has to be said...

Garage-queens will leak no matter what. They don't get run enough.
Drums66
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jul 2 2010, 03:53 PM) *

Old ones do, new ones don't.

.....Adendum to my 1st (you're bloody right!!)
SLITS
English motorcycles = German Air Cooled

Most make the Exxon Valdez look like a drop.
MDG
My old 2.2 would leak a bit if it sat too long. When I drove it daily it stayed pretty dry.

I think that's common with these cars.
Mark Henry
confused24.gif What?...It's just the aft automatic rust control system.

That's why you never see a 914 with a rusted out ass end biggrin.gif av-943.gif

70_914

I build with Dupont 730. Expensive(i.e. $90/tube) but works.

I am currently assembling my engine and am looking for a good sealant. Where would I get this stuff? I was considering using the Wurth flange sealant, but haven't had much luck with anything myself.

Kevin
budman5201
my six doesnt leak a drop.!
ripper911
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Jul 2 2010, 09:35 PM) *

my six doesnt leak a drop.!

It will when it's 35 years old poke.gif
championgt1
My 4 does not leak at all. 23,000 miles on the rebuild.

Damn, I just jinxed myself! slap.gif
IronHillRestorations
There are some techniques that help when re-sealing an engine.

If you have a heavy leaker I'd probably drop the engine and do a complete re-seal, but it's time consuming and will cost you a little bit.

Porsches don't leak oil, they mark thier spot!

Roll Royces don't leak oil they have controlled seepage.

Harleys leak oil just like an old air compressor.
tod914
In all seriousness, the most difficult task I ever did was following the Tech Tips 700 for rebuilding a motor while still in the car.
zymurgist
I know a guy who bought a 911 that looked like a previous owner had tried to rebuild the motor with it installed. screwy.gif
tod914
wow that must of been quite a mess to sort out.
rudedude
My six went 7 years without a drop until i got it out this spring and now leaks from one of the cam shaft seals.
I guess it comes out next winter for a fix as i don't like it marking its territory.
pcar916
QUOTE(70_914 @ Jul 2 2010, 04:34 PM) *

I am currently assembling my engine and am looking for a good sealant. Where would I get this stuff? I was considering using the Wurth flange sealant, but haven't had much luck with anything myself.

Kevin

Yikes. I goofed. It's Dow Corning 730... I got mine from a local industrial supply place but it's available off the web at only $76,000 per 500 lb container. Group buy? beerchug.gif

http://www.google.com/search?q=dow+corning...lient=firefox-a

A more reasonable size...

http://www.skygeek.com/rtv730-3oz.html

This stuff is magical and forgive the warning if it's redundant for you, but as all sealants and gaskets demand, obsessive surface prep is everything. Without it no sealant will work. I use copious quantities of lacquer thinner and acetone. The former stays on the part longer but leaves a film that the latter takes off. MEK isn't easily available everywhere.

Note: Good ventilation and a good organic filter facemask required to be safe with any of the above chemicals.

Cheers!
76-914
QUOTE(70_914 @ Jul 2 2010, 05:34 PM) *

Kevin

Look at pcar916's post. agree.gif /the silk thread is available at aircraft spruce. Run the thread twice around in a spiral appx 1/8" apart then cross it over itself at the end. I haven't built a T4 yet, but if they are anything like A/C case halfs then torque procedure may take 8 to 10 passes, then one more check the next day.
GeorgeRud
Actually, if you look at the latest water-cooled engines with their rear mainshaft seal problems, it seems that Porsche's engineers like leaking oil!

My -6 doesn't leak too much, but there is usually a small spot if it's been sitting too long. Then again, the oil probably does help the magnesium case from returning to it's native state quite as fast.
J P Stein
I've never had a leaking problem from the case split using Locktite 574.
Mine did leak around the outside of the #8 bearing (mag case).....and did so until I rebuilt it after 7 years
A new #8 bearing did the deed with some Threebond 1211 for insurance.
It still "weeps" at the chain cases....bout every faying surface but not enough to drip.
Silk strings & bearing clearances of the 6 do not go hand in hand, IMO.

Thre are bout 10000 (give or take biggrin.gif ) "O" rings & what not on a 6 that will cause problems if one does not install them with care & the proper lube. Silicone *grease* is proper.
sww914
Some people live in denial.
They all leak.
Mark Henry
They don't leak, they mark their spot. biggrin.gif
turboman808
No leaks from my car. The transmission did leak from the 916 shifter but with the new bugat part and rebuild by Chris all is running perfect in my garage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.