Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil change, valve and clutch adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
I put another 500+ miles on my new engine and it was time for an oil and filter change and valve adjustment. I also pulled the sump cover for inspection and adjusted my clutch cable. None of the valves ended up needing an adjustment. I'm good for another 3000 miles. aktion035.gif

It took me about an hour and 45 minutes start to finish. Not bad I think for a non-mechanic. beerchug.gif
rwilner
why would you post something like this, and risk angering the 914 gods
TheCabinetmaker
What took ya so long?LOL
914rat
QUOTE(rwilner @ Jul 2 2010, 05:25 PM) *

Yea, do you really want them to know you are not on jackstands?Hell I park mine over a lift just in case they are watching.When it's running that is. happy11.gif
realred914
new motor, I'd probably recheck them valves again before another 3000 miles (more like 500 again) to be on teh safe side. if they are still stable, then i say your golden. do a second oil change then also. that first round of break in oil did not get all drained out the first oil change, and it is surely full of residue. a second oil change will remove a lot more of that initial break in oil and grit.

have fun with the new motor,

who built it? what compresiion ratio, valve sizes, cam? me i am thinking of a bigger motor asap as mine is bit the dust. is yours running stock d-jet ok?

just want to get some ideeas if you can be of any help.

thanks!
Cevan
QUOTE(realred914 @ Jul 3 2010, 12:04 PM) *

new motor, I'd probably recheck them valves again before another 3000 miles (more like 500 again) to be on teh safe side. if they are still stable, then i say your golden. do a second oil change then also. that first round of break in oil did not get all drained out the first oil change, and it is surely full of residue. a second oil change will remove a lot more of that initial break in oil and grit.

have fun with the new motor,

who built it? what compresiion ratio, valve sizes, cam? me i am thinking of a bigger motor asap as mine is bit the dust. is yours running stock d-jet ok?

just want to get some ideeas if you can be of any help.

thanks!

I didn't mean my post to be boastful in any way. I was just psyched that I'm getting more proficient with this car stuff.

As for the motor, I did a cam breakin and then changed the oil and filter and adjusted the valves. Then I drove it for about 125 miles and did another oil/filter change and valve adjustment. Then I went another 550 miles and did another oil/filter change and valve adjustment.

My engine build link is in my signature. It's a 2056 with rebuilt stock 2.0 heads, a Raby 9050 cam, 9:1 compression, 40mm IDFs. Fun fun fun.
Elliot Cannon
You obviously forgot to tighten something. happy11.gif You might want to pull the valve covers off again. happy11.gif lol-2.gif I'm just sayin'.
HAM Inc

Chris appeased the 914 gods by having his heads rebuilt with the good stuff and using quality engine parts while paying close attention to his build!
The gods are tough, but they do respond favorably when we do things right!

BTW, Chris' heads were probably the nicest 2.0 914 heads I have ever seen! Glad to hear the new engine turned out great for you Chris!
Cevan
Thanks Len. My head temps are lower than the stock 2.0 by 25-50 degrees, so hopefully those heads stay nice. Definitely happy with the 2056. driving.gif

And to think that engine came out of a parts car. beerchug.gif
HAM Inc
Thanks Len. My head temps are lower than the stock 2.0 by 25-50 degrees

Chris that would be the 9550 cam at work. It lets the exhaust breath, and take advantage of the nice ex ports those heads come with.

Glad you like your 2056. Just think of the new car reviews the 914 would have gotten back in the day if it had come std with that engine!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.