Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody know anything about this car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
moralem
I spoke to the guy selling this car and he says it is a local car out the Dallas area. The way he talks about the car he makes it sound like it is pretty near being complete and driveable, but the more I look at the pictures I am not sure if it is worth what he is asking for. What do you guys think.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/1822204477.html
bdstone914
I do not know the car but he does not provide much in pictures to support the claims.
I would not jump at a non running car for $2500. I would think that if the trunks and other ares are really good it might be worth considering at a lower price.
Tom_T
It needs a complete inspection & that L sail/fender rust repair looks suspiciously small for what usually happens there. If all the "replacement parts" are also good, then it MAY be worth the coin. But have a DFW Teener go with you to inspect it, or see if Zims can check it as a PPI.

Oh & welcome.png
Grelber
I don't know what your budget is, but you need to talk to Wayne (tat2dphreak). He's in Wylie, and has a nice car for sale.
moralem
QUOTE(Grelber @ Jul 3 2010, 07:22 AM) *

I don't know what your budget is, but you need to talk to Wayne (tat2dphreak). He's in Wylie, and has a nice car for sale.

I have talked to Wayne and he does have a very nice car, but it is a little to rich for my blood. I am looking for something that I can get into and start working on but drive it around while I am working on it. I would imagine that over the life of the project I would probably spend as much as what Wayne is selling his for but I wouldn't have to do anything to it.

I am just going to keep looking till I find the right mix of being in good shape and needing some work.
RacerMark
Just a word to the wise - I understand budget limitations, but fixing up a neglected teener can easily cost 2x the price of a good teener in similar condition (applies for most other vehicles too). And that assumes you do the work (zero labor cost).

You really want to purchase the best condition car you can afford and go from there.

Be patient - for any given condition you can find a wide range of prices. If you keep looking you might find a very clean car that someone is anxious to move quick or just doesn't know the market.
bembry
QUOTE(RacerMark @ Jul 4 2010, 02:53 AM) *

Just a word to the wise - I understand budget limitations, but fixing up a neglected teener can easily cost 2x the price of a good teener in similar condition (applies for most other vehicles too). And that assumes you do the work (zero labor cost).

You really want to purchase the best condition car you can afford and go from there.

Absolutely spot-on advice. Mine got to sit for 10 years while I climbed up the earnings ladder at work and was finally able to afford fixing it, all because I tried to save a buck on initial purchase. I could have been enjoying driving a teener all that time, but no (and mine ran, came with original FI, had very little rust when purchased, and it still kicked my ass). Buy something SOLID that RUNS WELL and is a COMPLETE CAR, not some basket case. The Camp 914s seem like a good bet to me. My 2 cents anyway.
Brent
moralem
Thanks for the advice. I plan to take it slow and find the right mix of car at my price point. I do know at my price point you can get a can of worms and for a couple of grand more you can get something that is expoenentially better. It is a fine line. My price point is right at the 3k mark plus or minus. And for that price what I have seen varies from the complete disaster to something that is serviceable but needs some TLC. Then I have found that you jump to the 5k plus range and you get a much bette conditioned car. I am not quite there yet but may well wind up there if the affordable ones just don't materialze.
rjames
QUOTE(moralem @ Jul 4 2010, 07:35 PM) *

Thanks for the advice. I plan to take it slow and find the right mix of car at my price point. I do know at my price point you can get a can of worms and for a couple of grand more you can get something that is expoenentially better. It is a fine line. My price point is right at the 3k mark plus or minus. And for that price what I have seen varies from the complete disaster to something that is serviceable but needs some TLC. Then I have found that you jump to the 5k plus range and you get a much bette conditioned car. I am not quite there yet but may well wind up there if the affordable ones just don't materialze.

I agree with the others. There's a good chance you'll end up needing to spend more to get a 2-3k car running decently or safely and if you spent extra money up front it could mean more fun right away and less headache. Maybe wait until you have more $ saved, unless you get lucky with a bargain. These cars aren't going anywhere and the prices will probably be fairly consistent for some time.

Best of luck on your search.
ddot914
QUOTE(moralem @ Jul 2 2010, 06:28 PM) *

I spoke to the guy selling this car and he says it is a local car out the Dallas area. The way he talks about the car he makes it sound like it is pretty near being complete and driveable, but the more I look at the pictures I am not sure if it is worth what he is asking for. What do you guys think.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/1822204477.html

I just sent you a PM about my 914 that I am thinking about selling. It fits the description of what you are looking for $$$$. Let me know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.