Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Okay CV Joint experts....Might be about to break them.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
budman5201
Yes my engine is SO much fun and addicting, but I dont know why i even take my car out when i am drenched from the heat on the way back home. (still 98 degrees here in az at 10 PM!) I am taking my time with the A/C system so thats not done for a few months.

Love the torque, but i think one of my Cv's is on its last life. I am getting a pretty good clunking noise that is exactly the pace of the spinning of the wheel at speed. About 20 mph all the way to ....well. 75 lets say. Its at the rear wheel, drivers side, sounds like on the outside inside the suspension arm where the cv bolts to the hub.

What does an about to break CV joint sound like?
Jerry

...Well, on a front wheel drive, it goes "click, click, click, click" !! Especially when the wheel is turned
IronHillRestorations
I've got three new ones, pm me if you want one.
ripper911
When it goes it will sound like rattling a patella in a coffee can.
brp986s
In 25 years of teenerdom I've had 3 fail on the road. In all 3 there was no sound prior to the breakage. On the other hand, if you have the car in the air and turn the wheels and you hear a click click sound you may find that you have a cracked cage. It's probably not loud enough to hear over the din of the engine.
realred914
keep driving it, you'll figure it out eventually is my old saying!

yeah a cv can be silent or near so and fail, can you lift the car and grab teh axles and wiggle them and feel how much back lash there is? there shoudl be very little back lash and no clunky noises. note there will be lots of end play (axles back and forth in line with axles) this is normal.

also when it is up in the air, spin teh wheels by hand. listen, also put one wheel on the ground to prevnt it from turning, and spin the other while in gears, listen for tranny noises that are wierd.

could be wheel weights rubbing on the brake backing plate, could be cv, tranny noises, bearing at wheel, etc...

pcar916
CV's are one of the most neglected parts in our cars. The need to be repacked every ~15,000 to 20,000 miles or so. Less if you're racing.

The grease evaporates, hardens and looses it's lubricity.

Torn boots kill 'em quick.

FYI, You can get VW cv's and drill them out for the roll-pins. If you've converted to 5-lug you can modify your 914 axles slightly, use 911 flanges and stub axles (or 944 stub axles with a spacer), and use 944 cv's.

Good luck

mightyohm
Mine made a clunking noise when I pulled away from a complete stop. The car did a little shimmy, barely perceptible but it told me something was wrong.

I replaced them and they were all very worn, one was really bad. This was on a 1.7.
charliew
The first thing I would check are the cv bolts. Jack it up and put stands under the arms and run it slowly after making sure it's not the bolts. You can apply a little load with the emergency brake to help similate the normal load.

I once parked one of my fieros from a rear clicking only to find months later it was the emergency cable hitting a partially sticking out wheel weight. It only happened on left slow turns when I discovered it. The cable was real new and it knocked the covering off in that spot.
wallys914
Are you on stock axles or the upgrades with adapter's?

I heard some clicking prior to my adapter's shearing from the trans axle flange. biggrin.gif

Crazyhippy
Mine just make a big BANG before they let loose.

Can always pull, inspect, re-pack and re-Install just for the peace of mind.
EdwardBlume
I lost mine at about 70mph in 5th.... sounded like a kids toy... the one with the balls inside a plastic dome that pop when you push the stick and the wheels turn....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.