Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's wrong with my oil stick?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
OK.. The car was cold, sitting on a level floor. The oil was at the 2nd mark down the stick. (low on oil)

I put in 1/2 qt. Waited about 30 seconds and checked. The oil was between the 2 marks.

Added another 1/3 quart. Went into the garage to put up the funnel and oil. Went back to the car in about 3-5 minutes.

Now the oil is 1.5 line marks ABOVE the top line on the stick.

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Put the car back in the garage.

================================

Do I drain out a quart of oil? How long do I need to wait after adding oil before I check it? Isn't the distance between the 2 marks 1 quart? OK Here's your chance. poke.gif

avidfanjpl
Hey Bill,

It will cause problems to have the level that much above what is normal. My old bud in STL blew out all his seals being 3 pints too high.

Maybe drain it all out and refill it one pint at a time, and stop when you know you did put enough in, without an oil filter?

It will blow by and cause all kinds of oil leaks.

I have seen it many times. Maybe your stick and tube went too far down? Know the tube is 165MM and 15MM goes into the engine. 150MM must stick out.

From George Hussey.

Good luck!

John
underthetire
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 3 2010, 01:48 PM) *

OK.. The car was cold, sitting on a level floor. The oil was at the 2nd mark down the stick. (low on oil)

I put in 1/2 qt. Waited about 30 seconds and checked. The oil was between the 2 marks.

Added another 1/3 quart. Went into the garage to put up the funnel and oil. Went back to the car in about 3-5 minutes.

Now the oil is 1.5 line marks ABOVE the top line on the stick.

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Put the car back in the garage.

================================

Do I drain out a quart of oil? How long do I need to wait after adding oil before I check it? Isn't the distance between the 2 marks 1 quart? OK Here's your chance. poke.gif

German car, remember? They don't have quarts in the metric system.
Tom_T
IIRC it's only about .5 qt. between the marks (whatever that is metric dry.gif )

Same issue with my 88 Westy waterboxer - they just don't take much oil between hi & low marks. Overfill the oil on flats/boxers & you blow stuff! sad.gif

It also seems to take longer for the little fill-ups to register on the stick in boxers too for some reason, as compared to say the I-6 in my 325e BMW.

At least the oil bottles of today have the level viewing slot, but with the cans in the 70's you had to guess! biggrin.gif
ME733
...CHECKING the oil level when the engine is HOT...and running... is the only way to actually know what the actual oil level is. With carburated engines, I have overfilled them by as much as 1/2 quart of oil (intentionally)with no problems whatsoever.. With fuel Injected engines there may be a sensor or crankcase pressure sensor which could affect engine performance....Remember that in the type IV engine (like most of the earlier Porsche, and VW engines)....the CRANKSHAFT is WAY above the camshaft. whipping the oil around (windage) from the crankcase oil (level)...just ain't gonna happen.The camshaft, however, might see a little more oil than normal...Hey...don't we like well lubricated cam lobes?., especially in those L O N G sweeping turns, flat out......food for thought.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.