Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Handle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
Anyone have a neat trick to fix this? It all started with a nice new part I just got the early style door end caps from 914 rubber great looking parts!
I thought I could possibly take the easy route and pull the old one out without taking the window and the rest of the hardware out, dumb thought! After dropping the screw down inside the door it all had to come apart. As I went to loosen the nut on the stud the whole thing pulled out. It looks like it was pressed in or swagged in originally.

Is there way to fix this?

Thanks for the help!
Jsaum
jsaum
Just got back from the hardware store does anyone have experience using silver solder? I'm not sure how bad the heat will mess up the chrome. I'm also worried I may melt the plastic bushings. The other option seems to be drill through and use a machine screw.

Jsaum
joefri187
QUOTE(jsaum @ Jul 3 2010, 03:38 PM) *

Just got back from the hardware store does anyone have experience using silver solder? I'm not sure how bad the heat will mess up the chrome. I'm also worried I may melt the plastic bushings. The other option seems to be drill through and use a machine screw.

Jsaum

Drilled through mine and it worked great. Easy fix....
jsaum
Yep,
Silver solder did nothing back to the store for a 6mm machine screw!

jsaum
Drilled a 3/16 hole used a 6mm X 100 tap and went through the door to the handle with a machine screw worked good I put a little locktite on for added insurance.

Jsaum
Cupomeat
Nice job there, I was thinking that the pot metal wouldn't support the threading when this happened to me, so I drilled it out and put a pretty bold through the whole unit.
jsaum
I wondered that too but was able to get about four to five threads in it. I didn't want to over tighten it ,thus a healthy heaping of loctite.
914Sixer
Another option is to drill all the way through and put a SS bolt in with a nylock nut.. Not as pretty though.
URY914
Stainless steel bolt is the way to go.
charliew
I think the screw looks good but I would be more apt to use never sieze and a star washer on it so it will come back out easily.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.