Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I hate the engine tin...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
well it was bent coming off, so you can imagine how fun it is getting it back on... it's been 2 years since I took it off so i have no clue what the order of re-install is. i already had to take the fan housing off to put the oil cooler tin on first...

ive got all the tin "in place" now, but can't seem to get that front piece lined up properly (the one that bridges the transmission. I have the two tabs correct on the top but the sides are weird.

should that whole piece sit on TOP of the side tin, or somehow sandwich them?

what's the order of the tin?

underside tin -> side top pieces -> transmission piece? screws go in from top side of engine?

really can't remember any of this... not even sure how the wires get routed anymore...

tried to search the forum for detailed pics of engines outside the car, but turned up nothing useful

someone help me pleeeeeeaseeee! lol
detoxcowboy
cylinder head bottoms and oil cooler piece (you can't assemble your engine entirely without those first) then front fan housing and alternator pieces.. after I usually do the sides the the rear and finish with the 2 rear underneath from top cylinder head air deflectors.. I use a thread chaser when necessary, mayba a little wd-40 to clean with and an awl or very thin screwdriver at times just to line up the various difficult pieces.. ( do not forget the alt. screw that comes in from the front midway through the engine and connects the fan housing tin and the alt tin into the fan housing.. need a smaller length screwdriver for that one if the engine is in the car.. probably a flashlight then too.

"ive got all the tin "in place" now, but can't seem to get that front piece lined up properly (the one that bridges the transmission. I have the two tabs correct on the top but the sides are weird"

quote-- that is the rear the tranny piece and in each rear corner comes from underneath the above mentioned final cylinder head pieces, I usually need an assist with those as someone has to hold the tin pieces from underneath the car while the other screws it all together.. should be 5 screws total, 3 in the LR and 2 for the RR and they involve the larger tin side pieces too.. bascally your tying all 3 tins at once.. per side
auerbach
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jul 3 2010, 06:42 PM) *

cylinder head bottoms and oil cooler piece (you can't assemble your engine entirely without those first) then front fan housing and alternator pieces.. after I usually do the sides the the rear and finish with the 2 rear underneath from top cylinder head air deflectors.. I use a thread chaser when necessary, mayba a little wd-40 to clean with and an awl or very thin screwdriver at times just to line up the various difficult pieces.. ( do not forget the alt. screw that comes in from the front midway through the engine and connects the fan housing tin and the alt tin into the fan housing.. need a smaller length screwdriver for that one if the engine is in the car.. probably a flashlight then too.

"ive got all the tin "in place" now, but can't seem to get that front piece lined up properly (the one that bridges the transmission. I have the two tabs correct on the top but the sides are weird"

quote-- that is the rear the tranny piece and in each rear corner comes from underneath the above mentioned final cylinder head pieces, I usually need an assist with those as someone has to hold the tin pieces from underneath the car while the other screws it all together.. should be 5 screws total, 3 in the LR and 2 for the RR and they involve the larger tin side pieces too.. bascally your tying all 3 tins at once.. per side

stateofidleness
to be clear, the engine is not in the car, it's easily accessible on a rolling cart.

so i get all the tin done and what do i see laying in the parts pile? the oil cooler rubber gasket....................... ugh..... so offffff all the tin comes again...

that whole "installation is reverse of removal" won't cut it for me... it's been too long since i disassembled and trying to remember the order of everything is crazy..

i finally get the tin back on after getting the oil gasket on and then i look at the main air cleaner piece (that the intake manifolds connect to) and it looks like those have "legs" that should be screwed in with the tin screws as well... i threw my hands up and shut the garage up for the night...

and to add to the frustration, the powder coating has made the holes almost impossible to put screws in... fun times...

im gonna grab a beer (or 8) and give it another go tomorrow... any other tips before starting up tomorrow?
auerbach
Is a step by step video too much to ask for? I have a complete set of white powder coated tin for my 76/73 and I lost the instructions that came from the factory. lol-2.gif
stateofidleness
QUOTE(auerbach @ Jul 3 2010, 10:04 PM) *

Is a step by step video too much to ask for?

got one? biggrin.gif
detoxcowboy
"and to add to the frustration, the powder coating has made the holes almost impossible to put screws in... "

it will save you plently of headache if you just chase the threads first before assembly, .. m6x1.0 even a cheap one works enough.. plently of that size on the car elsewhere anyways..
Jake Raby
In my engine rebuild video I go over each part of the tim installation step by step..
auerbach
Thanks Jake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.