Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 engine conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
I'm looking for a complete list of parts to fit a 3.2 into my car. I know there are lots of threads covering the conversion but I'm hoping someone can put together a very complete and detailed list of parts for the conversion. Hard lines, soft lines, engine oil cooler, harness, ect. Opinions, suggestions modifications and suppliers are welcome. I would be starting with a 3.2 motor pulled from a 911 with all the 911 parts included. And if anyone has a good cache of conversion parts that they are not using, please PM me. Thanks, Mark
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 3 2010, 08:09 PM) *

I'm looking for a complete list of parts to fit a 3.2 into my car. I know there are lots of threads covering the conversion but I'm hoping someone can put together a very complete and detailed list of parts for the conversion. Hard lines, soft lines, engine oil cooler, harness, ect. Opinions, suggestions modifications and suppliers are welcome. I would be starting with a 3.2 motor pulled from a 911 with all the 911 parts included. And if anyone has a good cache of conversion parts that they are not using, please PM me. Thanks, Mark

1. Money

2. Money

3. Money

4. Money

5. Money

There you go Mark, I covered the top 5 for you. Good luck on the conversion.

Shoe
mepstein
I drove a conversion car with a 217 hp euro 3.2. It was awesome!!! Fit and finish were mediocre, narrow body car. Did I mention - It was awesome! I figure 6K for a complete motor, ~4-6K for parts (heat exchangers?) and labor to put it all together. So yes, it takes money but it sure is fun. Many of the conversion threads are for older, smaller motors. So my challenge to those that know is to put together a really great list of parts, options and additional info for the larger motor conversions - 3.2 +. Thanks to all, Mark
BigD9146gt
Interesting, 220 beautiful sounding horses are cheap any other way?

Now for something completely different (and possibly helpful).

Your motor is awesome, no question. I suggest the fallowing:

-Kennedy clutch for the 901/914 works great. The late owner of GPR had this in his 3.2 914. Give Kennedy a call and see what they recommend for how you want to drive the car. Street, autocross, or track... very helpful guys.
-Oil tank: original tank or aftermarket aluminum (the sheet metal aluminum through GPR or Patrick Motorsports, but steer away from the cast aluminum Velios tanks).
-Oil lines: There are plenty of guys who can make flex lines (the supply from the tank to motor is a given as its a two piece flex w/coupler). I'm making hardlines at the moment, but you will still need a short flex line to the tank. If your an AN fan, Patrick Motorsports has a great selection of conversion parts.
-Axles go out quickly with increased HP. Either the type 4 Bus axle conversion from Renegade, or what I went with was the 911 Carrera axle conversion from Patrick Motorsports.
-Rich Johnson makes the rest of the good stuff in the way of motor mounts and throttle linkage.
-Bursch headers work great (1 5/8" tubing), but if you want heat your going to have to settle on whats available (I'm not sure whats out there).

Have fun! Its a great conversion your undertaking. That was exactly the motor I was going to do until a '72E with RSR stuff fell in my way... couldn't pass it up! I have some notes for wiring as well if you need them from Dave Shepards 914-6 3.2 (the 14pin chassis to engine plug). Cheers, Don.
boxstr
I had a 3.2 914-6 conversion car. It was amazing, I loved that car. My foot was always on the floor. So I could see the writing on the wall. Big ticket coming soon. I would think about purchasing one already completed. But if that is not the plan. I have a 914-6 dash. a factory 914-6 oil tank NOS, and new five lug components. I have access to a 914-6 wiring loom NOS.

Craig at CAMP
Mark Henry
MSDS headers, on sale right now in the classifieds.
Look at Eric Shea's 911 CV conversion with sway-away axle's, in the classic threads.
Perry's 3.2 conversion harness.

Oh... and Mo' money...you going to put brakes on that puppy? smile.gif
mepstein
Eric at PMB set me up with brakes and 5 lugs. I'm not planning on changing the dash or main harness but would be interested in the oil tank...but not until I plan out the complete list. I don't want to buy an oil tank with one type of thread and hard lines, blah blah blah with the wrong threads. And I know there's more than one way to make this work. To get things started, I will post the parts list from Patrick Motor Sports and wait for the group to add their thoughts.
campbellcj
I'm sure 100 other guys have given you the same advice, but you will potentially save half the money plus loads of time if you buy a conversion or factory -6 that is already done, or "nearly" done. There are LOTS of great deals on the market these days.

I never seem to follow this tip myself, and it can be a lot of fun doing these projects, but you have to be adequately prepared for the costs and potential frustrations...
rfuerst911sc
I have recently completed a 3 year + restoration/conversion to a six on a 1975 chassis. I went with a 3.0 with carbs but the rest is basically the same. Off the top of my head you need :

1. Kennedy Engineering 901 conversion kit. This will include flywheel starter ring gear,pressure plate,throwout bearing and clutch disc to use with a 901 transmission. I went with a Stage II and love it.
2. Rich Johnson makes LOTS of parts for the /6 conversion. His firewall engine mount is fantastic. I also used his throttle linkage,oil cooler conversion and other items. He is top notch compared to others.
3.Oil tank, I was lucky to still purchase a DW Design oil tank. All aluminum with filter mount,filler neck,cap and dipstick. Powder coated black it is a beauty that holds an additional quart of oil over stock. I believe this gentleman moved to Australia and not sure he still makes these.
4.Front mounted oil cooler. My opinion is 3.0 and larger really needs additional cooling. I went with a MB diesel oil cooler and -12 AN fittings. Using a BAT Inc. thermostat. Car runs cool in Florida heat/humidity.
5.Suspension and brakes. You have to stop the beast ! I went with 911 M calipers on all four corners. Converted to 911 E-Brake also. Went with PMB converted 5 lug in the rear with 911 struts up front with conventional 5 lug hubs. This allows 20mm vented rotors on all four. Also went with a 19mm master cylinder.
6. I went with Elephant Racing poly-bronze bushings while I had everything apart.
7. Chassis stiffening. I went with the Engman kit along with the standard GT kit. I also put the kit on my swing arms and also strengthened the suspension ear.

That's an overview of the big hitters there is lots of little stuff that adds up. In my opinion you can't do a six conversion correctly for less than about $20,000.00 . Good luck and this forum is a GREAT resource for help/info.
scotty b
One of the concerns I have with Marks car is that he already has the inner long stiffening kit. With the added H.P. and torque of the 3.2, should he get the chassis kit as well, or is that overkill for a street only car ?
mepstein
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jul 4 2010, 02:21 PM) *

I'm sure 100 other guys have given you the same advice, but you will potentially save half the money plus loads of time if you buy a conversion or factory -6 that is already done, or "nearly" done. There are LOTS of great deals on the market these days.

I never seem to follow this tip myself, and it can be a lot of fun doing these projects, but you have to be adequately prepared for the costs and potential frustrations...

I hear you. It's the same with building custom bikes vs stock production. 3x the cost and time for 5% more gain. I always tell myself I'm going to stick with stock but never do. Problem with buying a 6 conversion is it's hard to find one that was done right with the make up and performance I want. Many have compromizes and parts that aren't what I want. I don't want to pay for parts just to repurchase other parts. If I'm doing a 6, I want a recent fuel injection that will start in all conditions with a turn of a key. - But I also said, If someone has a nice stash of parts they have decided not to use or even a car to sell, PM me and we'll talk smile.gif
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 4 2010, 12:42 PM) *

One of the concerns I have with Marks car is that he already has the inner long stiffening kit. With the added H.P. and torque of the 3.2, should he get the chassis kit as well, or is that overkill for a street only car ?

Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different opinions. I decided for all the work I was going to put into the car that I wanted the additional kits over and above the Engman. Some say overkill and some say waste of money. All I know is my chassis seems stiff so the few extra dollars and the extra pounds was worth it. With a 3.0 or larger you're looking at 200 - 250 hp or more ! The chassis just was not designed for that much power in my opinion.
brp986s
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 4 2010, 03:16 PM) *

I always tell myself I'm going to stick with stock but never do. Problem with buying a 6 conversion is it's hard to find one that was done right with the make up and performance I want. Many have compromizes and parts that aren't what I want. I don't want to pay for parts just to repurchase other parts.

If this is the case then do it right and do it once: 915/wevo.
Ericv1
Don't forget the little stuff as well like a 911 tach, oil pressure gauge, new voltage regulator, transmission mounts, modified shift bar, crankcaes breather hoses, shifter bushings(while your in there), engine wiring harness, muffler hanger, new clutch disc, throwout bearing, and the list goes on and on. It is a fun experieance. I'm near the completion of the motor conversion now and it is exciting. People get wrapped up doing everything at once. But, the reality is that your going to most likely have the car for a while. So, take it one project at a time.
mepstein
QUOTE(Ericv1 @ Jul 4 2010, 09:22 PM) *

Don't forget the little stuff as well like a 911 tach, oil pressure gauge, new voltage regulator, transmission mounts, modified shift bar, crankcaes breather hoses, shifter bushings(while your in there), engine wiring harness, muffler hanger, new clutch disc, throwout bearing, and the list goes on and on. It is a fun experieance. I'm near the completion of the motor conversion now and it is exciting. People get wrapped up doing everything at once. But, the reality is that your going to most likely have the car for a while. So, take it one project at a time.

I have to do everthing at once since everything needs to be done to put the car back on the road. I'm making up a list of all the items I bought for the car, from tires to replacement metal and everything in between. I will publish the list when the car is complete. Hopefully it will save some time and effort for the next person looking at a conversion but honestly, the research and education have been part of the fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.