Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bontempi Flares / Fenders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

OK so to put on a set of Bontempi flares or fenders you cut out all the metal except the part where you hang the FG parts.

Any idea on the net weight savings?

brant
I'm curious to hear
I'm actually wondering if the FG might be heavier?

a metal fender skin weighs nothing...
I have one in storage (NOS) that I should go weigh...
but my poor memory for 15 years ago says it might have been 7-9lbs with the outer targa skin and door jam intact.

the FG might be more, not sure
Randal
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 4 2010, 05:30 PM) *

I'm curious to hear

but my poor memory for 15 years ago says it might have been 7-9lbs with the outer targa skin and door jam intact.

If the steel is only 7-9 lbs, then it isn't worth doing, other than it looks great. I've picked up Bontempi's fenders and they are at least 10 or more lbs., actually I think more.

Rich can do light weight ones, but don't lean on them.

If I need more clearance I can add a FG lip to my existing flares. If you took your time it would probably look OK.

J P Stein
My best guess would be :not much.

The HPH rear quarter pannel don't fit worth spit (dunno bout the fronts)......but I admit they do look nice at both ends. The most tire I can get under those rears is a 10 inch wide slick on 10 inch wide wheels. That works pretty good for the power the car has now.
bam914
The GT flares that QSC sells on ebay are very light. I would say more then half the weight of the stock fenders.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 4 2010, 06:07 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 4 2010, 05:30 PM) *

I'm curious to hear

If the steel is only 7-9 lbs, then it isn't worth doing, other than it looks great. I've picked up Bontempi's fenders and they are at least 10 or more lbs., actually I think more.

Rich can do light weight ones, but don't lean on them.

If I need more clearance I can add a FG lip to my existing flares. If you took your time it would probably look OK.

The existing flares are nice, but limit me to a 9" slick. If I followed the original design, but just lifted, i.e., took about 2" off the lip and added a shaped fg lip it might not look terrible.

Click to view attachment
J P Stein
You need more tire in back.....but you already know that. biggrin.gif
The 10 inch slicks are only a half inch wider than those cantis but their consruction is different and don't allow as much wobble. With some careful fittment of the HPH flares, I think you could get 11s under them. On the shibox, the 11s would fit on one side, but not on the other. With a 5 inch backspace on my 16 X10 wheels there is about 3/4 inches of clearance to the inner fender. Dropping the rear pressure too low has used up that space...the tires also wore funny.....we don't go there no more. 11s on those same wheels would knock that space down by 1/2 inch....and 1/4 inch isn't enough. The new Hoosier construction have stiffer sidewalls so 1/2 clearance may be enough....as I said, careful fittment....and a 1/4 inch spacer.
A pic at too low pressure.....17 psi IIRC.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 5 2010, 07:49 AM) *

You need more tire in back.....but you already know that. biggrin.gif
The 10 inch slicks are only a half inch wider than those cantis but their consruction is different and don't allow as much wobble. With some careful fittment of the HPH flares, I think you could get 11s under them. On the shibox, the 11s would fit, but not on the other. With a 5 inch backspace on my 16 X10 wheels there is about 3/4 inches of clearance to the inner fender. Dropping the rear pressure too low has used up that space...the tires also wore funny.....we don't go there no more. 11s on those same wheels would knock that space down by 1/2 inch....and 1/4 inch isn't enough. The new Hoosier construction have stiffer sidewalls so 1/2 clearance may be enough....as I said, careful fittment....and a 1/4 inch spacer.
A pic at too low pressure.....17 psi IIRC.

Every time I look at that car I see some other interesting piece of work you did.

How did you do build those (nice) front flares?

That same approach might work with my rear flares, especially if I can find the metal already shaped to use as a template. But I'm guessing you built those by hand?

I like the 17psi picture; a little squishy, but the car was hooking up.

J P Stein
Well....it didn't pop off the rim......
We were searching for a bit more tracton (heat) via less pressure. The pressure drop was semi-effective, but the rubbing & the cupping on the inside edges of the tires were unacceptable. Now days it's 19-20 lbs back there. The new (this year) Hoosier carcass construction....including cantis....seems to be a move in the right direction.
Turn in & transitions are much better. I just wish they had more sizes. A 9 X 15-16 straight side would be perfect for the front of a 914.....R25 compound would be a bonus. The DP Miata ( and other) guys get R25 cantis in 13 (or 14) inch sizes. They don't have to wait for heat.

The front flares were hammer & dolly work (didn't even use much bondo biggrin.gif )...cheep too...my hands were in better shape back then. biggrin.gif I tried to expand the rears more to fit the bigger 10 inch tires & wheels , but gave up....thus the HPH flares.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 4 2010, 08:46 PM) *
The existing flares are nice, but limit me to a 9" slick.

Randal, you can get the stock style flares in 9"/11" width!

I have a set that i am going to use on my car. They're at McMark's shop right now.
And below are the wheels i plan to use with them ...

Fikse FM10's, 9x17 with 245-45 and 11x17 with 315-35 (Hoosier Dot R's) ...

bye1.gif Andy

IPB Image
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 5 2010, 12:44 PM) *

The existing flares are nice, but limit me to a 9" slick.

Randal, you can get the stock style flares in 9"/11" width!

I have a set that i am going to use on my car. They're at McMark's shop right now.
And below are the wheels i plan to use with them ...

Fikse FM10's, 9x17 with 245-45 and 11x17 with 315-35 (Hoosier Dot R's) ...

bye1.gif Andy

IPB Image

Those are nice wheel's Andy.

Where did you get your 11" flares?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 5 2010, 01:09 PM) *
Those are nice wheel's Andy.

Where did you get your 11" flares?

A.I.R.

http://www.americaninternationalracing.com...246&page=59

driving.gif Andy
stewteral
The existing flares are nice, but limit me to a 9" slick. If I followed the original design, but just lifted, i.e., took about 2" off the lip and added a shaped fg lip it might not look terrible.

Click to view attachment

Responding to the Silver 914 with the dark riveted fender flares:
1) There are the same flares that I bought from www.Rennspeed.com
2) On my car, I'm using the widest flares that allow 9" rims in the front and
11" rims in the rear.
3) I DID cut the fender openings and think it looks OK...check out my photos to
see what you think.

Best,
Terry
Britain Smith
Even though the HPH flares might be heavy, they can still crack. I hit some cones going sideways on a wet course and crack the fender just behind the door.

It would be hell if I had the thinner, lighter versions.

-Britain
stewteral
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
QUOTE(stewteral @ Jul 5 2010, 09:44 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Responding to the Silver 914 with the dark riveted fender flares:
1) There are the same flares that I bought from www.Rennspeed.com
2) On my car, I'm using the widest flares that allow 9" rims in the front and
11" rims in the rear.
3) I DID cut the fender openings and think it looks OK...check out my photos to
see what you think.

Best,
Terry

Here are my photos....finally!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.