Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: radio controlled 914s questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RJMII
Where can I buy an R/C 914 body shell?

Which chassis setups are most popular? I've seen the Alfa-Romeo m-04m options.

is anyone running anything else?

Here is the latest pic of the wheels I am working on for them, I'm to a point where I want to start fitting the back spacing to a car and have one right here in front of me to use. This way I can start making the 'other' styles of wheels as well.
scotty b
I bought a BMW M-04l chassis ( tamiya ) for mine. dry.gif
RJMII
is it a 225mm chassis like the m-04m?
scotty b
Pretty sure it is but not 100% positive. Wheels are not quite centerd but are pretty close.
roadster fan
There was a group buy a couple of years ago, the shells came from somewhere in Europe if I remember right. I bought two and will prolly never get around to building both so if you are interested in one send me a pm. I will look and see what I paid for em and get a price for ya.

The guy that runs AirBoston graphics put the buy together but I dont remember his handle here. I will check my old emails and let you know.

Jim

Edit: ok here is the link to the old group buy R/C shell group buy by djm914-6. David did a great job putting the whole thing together, plus he does some amazing paint work on these as well. I havent seen him post here in awhile but I may have missed it if he did too. Jim send me a pm if you want one of the shells.
Zimms
The company that makes them is Carson. I missed the group buy and could not find a US source, so I bought mine on the German eBay. Their shipping was more than the body i think, but they were easy to work with and everything was packaged well. This is their eBay shop:

Racers Paradise

I did a seach on their store for "porsche" and they look like they have several available. Make sure you translate the page. I think some are sold with the decals, some are without, or you have to buy the separately.
nsr-jamie
Yes, Carson it is!! I unfortunately had to buy on the group buy list and it cost me dearly with shipping charges and the person who organized it decided half way through he didn't want to ship to me cause I didn't want to pay for his painting charge as I like to paint them myselves (after much begging) he only charged me 70 dollars for shipping and it ended up showing up with an 18 dollar stamp on it and when I asked about this he got upset at me and said I was pissing him off and he had had it up to here with me, a very disapointing group deal...

My car actully arrived damaged and will require semi major repairs but that is half the fun...I am just about to finish the chasis now with a friend from work and am waiting on some wheels from a friend in the US.

Cheers
Jamie
---------

QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jul 5 2010, 03:38 PM) *

There was a group buy a couple of years ago, the shells came from somewhere in Europe if I remember right. I bought two and will prolly never get around to building both so if you are interested in one send me a pm. I will look and see what I paid for em and get a price for ya.

The guy that runs AirBoston graphics put the buy together but I dont remember his handle here. I will check my old emails and let you know.

Jim

Edit: ok here is the link to the old group buy R/C shell group buy by djm914-6. David did a great job putting the whole thing together, plus he does some amazing paint work on these as well. I havent seen him post here in awhile but I may have missed it if he did too. Jim send me a pm if you want one of the shells.

RJMII
QUOTE(Zimms @ Jul 5 2010, 08:05 AM) *

The company that makes them is Carson. I missed the group buy and could not find a US source, so I bought mine on the German eBay. Their shipping was more than the body i think, but they were easy to work with and everything was packaged well. This is their eBay shop:

Racers Paradise

I did a seach on their store for "porsche" and they look like they have several available. Make sure you translate the page. I think some are sold with the decals, some are without, or you have to buy the separately.

David is on my friend's list on Facebook; he had another link for me! Now we have two places to find the same store. smile.gif

http://www.racersparadise.de/shop-rp.html/

in this category:

Home LEXANKAROSSERIEN M-Chassis

Now to send a PM. smile.gif
Zimms
There are 2 versions. The more expensive one has the window masks and decals. The decals are pretty nice. David painted some awesome versions!
RJMII
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 4 2010, 04:32 PM) *

Pretty sure it is but not 100% positive. Wheels are not quite centerd but are pretty close.

ahhh... M-04L is longer than the m-04m. M-04L is 239mm and m-04m is 225mm; but the m-04m is adjustable to be 225 or 239 (and another shorter length as well)

That's why yours looks off center by 14mm, give or take a mm.
JoeSharp
I believe that the wheel base on one side of the body is longer than the other. So you can't make it fit right anyway. I used the MO4L for 5 of the cars I have built and a mini cooper kit for a front wheel drive car. The Mini took a lot more mods to make it work and drives completely different than the MO4L car do.
RJMII
ohh... so an M04L seems to be the way to go, then. smile.gif

I've got the metal for the first set of Billet Fuchs sitting right here in front of me.

Here's a pic of the first wheel getting setup, measured, etc to get milled. smile.gif

The Fuchs face from earlier is in the picture for size reference for comparison to the prototype, aka my wife's new keyfob.
nsr-jamie
Looking good. Can't wait to get two sets of them for my car and my friends car here in Japan. I think we have the only 2 RC 914 cars in the country..any ideas roughly when you think those will be ready? Did my end mills come in handy for the machining process?

Cheers
Jamie
RJMII
Thanks!

I haven't used any of them... they look good in my tool box, though.

I'm just going to keep working on the wheels until they are ready. smile.gif I'm not going to jinx myself with a 'oh they'll be done by....' and not have them ready. smile.gif

Before these can be ready, I still need to get a car for myself to make sure they fit; and I'm still figuring out the process and composing and testing g-code. (hence the key fob)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.