Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where is the correct ground?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mipstien
im looking for the proper bolt or whatever it is that the 6>3>1 white wires comming outa the wiring harness are connected to. mine was apparently not grounding very well and possibly at all for one part. i have it grounded now to the only quickly accessible bolt on the throttle body.
ill have to start it up from cold to make sure its running better, but it did seem like it made a difference.

and is there an easy way to get to the head temp sensor or do you just need to pull the intake pipes?

happy 4th
mipstien
morning bump
MikeM
QUOTE(mipstien @ Jul 4 2010, 06:36 PM) *

im looking for the proper bolt or whatever it is that the 6>3>1 white wires comming outa the wiring harness are connected to. mine was apparently not grounding very well and possibly at all for one part. i have it grounded now to the only quickly accessible bolt on the throttle body.
ill have to start it up from cold to make sure its running better, but it did seem like it made a difference.

and is there an easy way to get to the head temp sensor or do you just need to pull the intake pipes?

happy 4th

Funny...I was just looking at my CHT yesterday wondering the same thing!!
Looks to me like the intake has to come off.
I'll be watching your thread...good luck.
Mike
poorsche914
Was tough to get a good picture but the wires are grounded at the bolt at the rear of the motor just below the plenum.
I have an extra multi-prong connector piece if you'd like it.

IPB Image

driving.gif
type47
QUOTE(mipstien @ Jul 4 2010, 04:36 PM) *

... to get to the head temp sensor or do you just need to pull the intake pipes?

I don't think you need to pull the intake. Head temp sensor is accessed thru a hole in the tin. I'm not saying it's easy to remove (!) but I think you just remove the grommet and the access is kinda like the access to a spark plug; down in there behind the tin. There are all sorts of threads about modifying a socket to allow the socket to seat on the sensor and the wire won't be damaged.
mipstien
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jul 5 2010, 08:59 AM) *

Was tough to get a good picture but the wires are grounded at the bolt at the rear of the motor just below the plenum.
I have an extra multi-prong connector piece if you'd like it.

IPB Image

driving.gif

Id be interested in the multiprong adapte. How much?
poorsche914
QUOTE(mipstien @ Jul 5 2010, 09:13 AM) *

Id be interested in the multiprong adapte. How much?

Come and get it! I tried to give it to you the last time you were here. poke.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 5 2010, 08:07 AM) *

QUOTE(mipstien @ Jul 4 2010, 04:36 PM) *

... to get to the head temp sensor or do you just need to pull the intake pipes?

I don't think you need to pull the intake. Head temp sensor is accessed thru a hole in the tin. I'm not saying it's easy to remove (!) but I think you just remove the grommet and the access is kinda like the access to a spark plug; down in there behind the tin. There are all sorts of threads about modifying a socket to allow the socket to seat on the sensor and the wire won't be damaged.

agree.gif 13mm deep socket. Grind a corner off an extension to let the wire pass thru the socket, or, cut a slot in the side of the socket like that of an 02 sensor socket.

Ground connection goes on the rear most bolt on the case halves.
mipstien
I couldn't get a socket in there because oof the intakes maybe I need an angle adapter to get in there.
Pooorsche did u redo those ground wires yourself? I think one is cut and not getting a connection do you knw?
poorsche914
QUOTE(mipstien @ Jul 5 2010, 01:03 PM) *

I couldn't get a socket in there because oof the intakes maybe I need an angle adapter to get in there.
Pooorsche did u redo those ground wires yourself? I think one is cut and not getting a connection do you knw?

Yeah, they were just temporarily put together. The '75 connection was different than the earlier style. They originally were connected to that cross piece on the passenger side air intake runners. I forget now exactly how it was. Thinking when I replaced the harness the ground wires had different end fittings. confused24.gif
type47
QUOTE(mipstien @ Jul 5 2010, 09:03 AM) *

I couldn't get a socket in there because of the intakes ...

My bad. The pic below shows a head temp sensor in a 914 2L head and one can easily see that the intake would obstruct access to the sensor.
Click to view attachment
On the other hand, the pic below shows the sensor on a Vanagon head. I guess by 1980 the mechanics strong-armed the designers to make it easier to remove the sensor biggrin.gif The sensor is outside the cooling tin and actually used to hold the tin down!
Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
I've changed lots of them in the car.
The intake is NOT in the way. As with everything 914, its a tight fit, but it will come out.
type47
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jul 5 2010, 09:34 AM) *

The intake is NOT in the way.

Ouch, my bad twice and again wacko.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Oops, sorry Jim. wasn't trying to get down on ya. Just wanted him to know it can be done. Easy, really.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.