Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any good ideas for a battery hold down?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
The 914 I picked up has a good battery tray and hell hole, so I'm going to put a battery back in that location.

Has anyone come up with any cool alternatives for mounting/securing your battery in the stock location? Perhaps billet brackets or anything else strong yet lightweight?

Pics would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob
Tom_T
Rob, since your tray is in good shape, if you're using a more or less standard sze battery, just get the OE hold down & bolt/screw - available from AA, Pelican, PP/Automotion, etc., - but do use a battery anti-acid pad & a sealed battery at the least, if not an Optima coil/gel cell or Odessy dry cell - for which the same sources & others alos sell adapter brackets for Optima & Odessy.

Should be no need to create some custom bracket, unless that's what you like to do for the Halibut! biggrin.gif

PS _ the problem with 914 batteries wasn't tipping, but acid leaking from the old open cell &/or fumes with acid from those & closed cells re-hydrolyzing on & eating through the cloth covered fuel lines when rain water, etc. washed into the engine bay.
zonedoubt
The Optima batteries usually come with a plastic holddown that fits and works well.
Ericv1
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Jul 5 2010, 02:25 PM) *

The Optima batteries usually come with a plastic holddown that fits and works well.

I second that. It holds them nice and tight.
moparrob
Thanks guys I'll check out what Optima has to offer. Why re-create the wheel if unnecessary?

Any idea which size Optima fits the stock location best?

Thanks.
tod914
QUOTE(moparrob @ Jul 5 2010, 08:24 PM) *

Thanks guys I'll check out what Optima has to offer. Why re-create the wheel if unnecessary?

Any idea which size Optima fits the stock location best?

Thanks.

I just put in a 35 series. Almost 8 pounds lighter than the 34R. Fits well and has more than enough start power. No need to trim it either.
windforfun
There should also be a snap on lip for the back of the battery. This will make for a nice tight fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.