Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake pedal piston end-play
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
The Haynes manual left me a little confused on how to set the end play for the brake pedal piston/manster cylinder end play.

I found this on the Samba and am wondering if the same applies to the 914 as far as how one measures and sets the correct end play (minues the different measurement specs).
Do I just hold a ruler up to the pedal to get the measurement? I am probably making this much harder than it needs to be...

Thanks

Click to view attachment
jaxdream
If you have a Haynes , use that procedure. The adjustment for the master cylinder pushrod is on the brake pedal arm, the pin with the cotter pin through it has a jam nut on the rod which is loosened and the rod turned into / out of the master cylinder. That is the adjustment not the whole pedal assembely , it is a feel type of adjustment due to the fact that the rod does pass through the rubber boot that surrounds it but it can and has been done many many times , you have a 914 not a bus or bug. Good luck and do yourself a favor and use the correct procedure , you'll come out better in the saftey standpoint of brakes.

Jack / Jaxdream
ME733
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jul 5 2010, 09:07 AM) *

If you have a Haynes , use that procedure. The adjustment for the master cylinder pushrod is on the brake pedal arm, the pin with the cotter pin through it has a jam nut on the rod which is loosened and the rod turned into / out of the master cylinder. That is the adjustment not the whole pedal assembely , it is a feel type of adjustment due to the fact that the rod does pass through the rubber boot that surrounds it but it can and has been done many many times , you have a 914 not a bus or bug. Good luck and do yourself a favor and use the correct procedure , you'll come out better in the saftey standpoint of brakes.

Jack / Jaxdream

I agree completely, jaxdream.....May I also include this, The adjustment rod is rounded at the end and fits into a corresponding borehole in the mastercylinder. I have found that removing the push rod, cleaning it up, especially the rounded end, and cleaning /wiping out the M/C bore hole is the thing to do. More than likely you will find RUST/rusty goo/debris etc. A light coat of motor oil in the M/C borehole,and on the end of the rounded pushrod provides rust protection and lubrication ensuring an accurate pedal freeplay setting. when finished, You'll be good for many many years.
charliew
The rubber boot if there is one will not like motor oil I think it may make it gooey. I would use sylglide or a silicon lube. My 914 has about 7/16 or 1/2 travel before the rod contacts the piston. Thats probaly a little too much but I don't drive it now. This can be felt just pushing on the pedal and when it contacts the piston in the mc you will feel it. The rod needs to be lubed I also think. The only time this adjustment is needed is when the mc is replaced or the pedals are moved from being redone or removed and replaced I would think.
Eric_Shea
My 914 has about 7/16 or 1/2 travel before the rod contacts the piston. Thats probaly a little too much

That's probably an understatement. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
McMark
Charlie was referencing pedal travel, and Eric is referencing rod travel.

Heh heh I said rod.
charliew
Yeah I also went to a dune buggy and my old 58 and they both seem to have about 1/2 inch travel at the top of the pedal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.