Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil temp sender connection on the 1972?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
The oil temp sender/gauge circuit is a green wire with black stripe.

For 1970-71 the oil temp sender connection is on the ignition harness then goes through the relay board and chassis harness presumably to the dash guage cluster.

For 1973-76 the oil temp sender connects to a single wire branch in the main harness below the battery.

For 1972 there is no green/black wire in the ignition harness and one 1972 owner has told me there is no green/black connection under the battery on the chassis harness like the later cars. The 1972 model also does not have the center console wiring branch on the chassis harness. So how is the oil temp sender connected to the oil temp guage for 1972, and is the oil temp guage supposed to be located in the dash?

Help!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
There is not one. You must run an additional wire.

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 5 2010, 09:02 AM) *

For 1970-71 the oil temp sender connection is on the ignition harness then goes through the relay board and chassis harness presumably to the dash guage cluster.

For 1973-76 the oil temp sender connects to a single wire branch in the main harness below the battery.

For 1972 there is no green/black wire in the ignition harness and one 1972 owner has told me there is no green/black connection under the battery on the chassis harness like the later cars. The 1972 model also does not have the center console wiring branch on the chassis harness. So how is the oil temp sender connected to the oil temp guage for 1972, and is the oil temp guage supposed to be located in the dash?

Help!

realred914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 5 2010, 09:24 AM) *

There is not one. You must run an additional wire.

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 5 2010, 09:02 AM) *

Help!

me too, got two 72 cars, both need the wire added.
type47
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 5 2010, 08:02 AM) *

... and is the oil temp guage supposed to be located in the dash?

I thought the combo gauge with the oil temp was only installed in 2 liter cars not equipped with a console so that would rule out any thing before 73.
tradisrad
i don't think my '70 has a oil temp wire. I ran my own, but now i'm going to look for the wire....
jsaum
I'm looking at installing a center console in my 72. I have the taco plate and sending unit for the oil temp gauge and just picked up a gauge set. I was wondering if anyone makes a wiring harness for a retro fit?

Jsaum
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.