Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Car Went Down This W.E.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
Had a tooth out. I could hear a repetitive thump when starting and I knew it was a tooth missing. But, finally, this w.e. more teeth must have broken off and of course it stopped right where it won't engage with starter gear. Push started it and dropped it off at shop. I replaced flywheel about 6-7 years ago. My mechanic says it happens with 69-era 911's. High torque starter probably doesn't help.
rudedude
Had the same happen with high torque starter on my 6.
Needless to say I'm back to stock and working just fine after replacing that expensive lightened flywheel.
Downunderman
Same thng happened to mine. I don't think the hi torque starter engages far enough.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Downunderman @ Jul 5 2010, 12:25 PM) *

Same thng happened to mine. I don't think the hi torque starter engages far enough.

There was a whole batch of the hi-torque starters that had that problem. Look at the wear of the teeth that are still there. Do they show signs of one sided wear? If so, your starter does not engage fully ...

idea.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
"Common"? Really? In 37 years of daily association with 356s, 912s, 911s, and 914s, I've NEVER seen a ring gear failure on a car with a stock starter. In fact, I've never seen such a failure on a 6V car improperly converted to 12V, although I've heard of such failures.

The Cap'n

IronHillRestorations
I'm not a fan of the "high torque" starters, unless you like replacing flywheels.

I'm 100% with the Cap'n on this, never seen it happen with a stock starter.

OK, yes a Bosch starter is more expensive, but not more expensive than a starter AND a flywheel.
J P Stein
They most often engage too deep.....the ring gear on the flywheel hits the conical section behind the starter gear. I had to make a shim shaped like the mounting boss......bout .09 thick....to move the starter out. Take off your HI torque and look....it leaves a mark all around the cone section that shouldn't be there.....*that's what makes the rude noise*.
914Sixer
What is wrong with replacing the .8 hp stock starter with the stock 911 (73-) 1.5 hp starter? Simple, easy and a direct bolt in.
campbellcj
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 5 2010, 05:49 PM) *

What is wrong with replacing the .8 hp stock starter with the stock 911 (73-) 1.5 hp starter? Simple, easy and a direct bolt in.

That's what I'm using. Nothing at all wrong with it -- works great -- but heavier than the aftermarket "hi-torque" units and possibly more expensive (?)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.