Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: air compressors- single vs. two stage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
As I posted in another thread I'm moving to Georgia and the home we are buying has a detached 3 car garage. As any man cave should have a good air compressor I want opinions on what to get. I currently have a 110/220 volt 20 gallon Campbell Hausfeld. Still works great with no issues. However I think I want to move up to a vertical 60 gallon. Tractor Supply has a 5 hp 60 gallon single stage Ingersoll Rand for $799.99 with a 10% online discount plus free freight to the store I'd have to pick it up. So price is aprox. 719.00. Output is 18.1 cfm at 90 psi with 135 psi max.
I don't think I need a two stage as I'm just a DIYer that mostly runs air hand tools including air ratchets, impact guns that's about it. The man cave may allow a medium sand blast cabinet. Keep in mind just occasional use ( weekends ) not daily use. So what do you guys think of the IR compressor ?
Mike Bellis
I would always recommend a dual stage.
Lennies914
agree.gif

Unless you really like to hear your compressor run.

Just my .02
rfuerst911sc
Are you concerned about the " noise " or the constant running ? If it's noise what about putting the compressor in its own room with some insulation ? The intake air can be piped in from outdoors. And how much constant running is there for a weekend DIYer ? Tractor Supply does have a IR two stage vertical pump 5 hp 80 gallon for 999.00- 10% = 899.00. Man that's a lot of cash for something that will sit idle for a lot of time.
charliew
The single stage at 18 cfm will not run a blast cabinet without you stopping and letting it catch up. Study air consumption requirements some more or you wiil be using a air compressor that is good for airing up tires and not much more. A inline air sander uses a lot of air as do most airtools. If you have to stop and let the compressor catch up it will be a slow process. Single stage is only good for as big as the tank is. Also a compressor gets really hot if it is in a closed area.

The other side of the story is maybe you really aren't a heavy diyer just a small project kind of guy. If the scope of the projects grows another compressor is in your future. I would buy a two stage and not be needing anotherone in the future. I'm sure the cost will be more in the future. I would also shop around for a 220 that is used that someone is upgrading or going out of business maybe. Sometimes one that has a bad motor is a good buy. Get a name brand old one that you can get parts for. Too bad your not in central tx, I know of a good compressor thats pretty cheap with a 150-200 gal tank but it is three phase.

I'm pretty sure hf also has ingersol rand compressors, but I would shop a good used one if it were me.
Lennies914
I had a 20 gal dual stage and now have a 60 gal single stage and the dual stage had a much faster recovery. I am very unhappy with the single stage.
charliew
Hook the two compressors together when you have a big cfm requirement thing to do. I did that for many years, I only ran the small one if thats all I needed. Also a bigger storage tank will help a smaller cfm air compressor. I have a 55 gallon hotwater tank I have been using twenty years in another area of my shop that helps the capacity of one 80 gallon compressor out when I am doing bodywork and it also helps get the moisture out of the air. I also have a 220 7.5hp 30cfm ingersol rand to start up for sand blasting but it really spins the meter so it doesn't get used much. If you can get three phase it is a lot cheaper to run equipment on. If I had it to do over I would find a gas two stage compressor to only use when I'm sandblasting.
carr914
I love my Craftsman 60 Gallon 2-Stage. It was about half the price of the Tractor Supply
DBCooper
Yeah, those prices aren't special. Generally two stage is for higher pressures, big tanks are for capacity. I had that Ingersol Rand 5hp 60 gallon. If it has the aluminum cylinder compressor that's the weak point. Five years constant use 8 hour days and it was tuckered.
1968Cayman
I have an 80 gal/5 hp IR compressor in my basement. I built a sandblasting booth in the garage that was able to house my 911 and it kept up fine during the entire process. I've also used just about every type of air tool known to mankind and have not experienced a shortage- or a problem with the sound or heat.
jmill
I've got a 6hp 60 gallon single stage Craftsman. Never needed more air but damn is it loud. I'll never buy a single stage again. Problem is it's been running without a problem for the last 15 years. Low maintenance, reliable and obnoxiously loud.
VaccaRabite
I have a 60gallon dual stage compressor. It has now painted two cars, and its going to paint a third before too much longer (i hope). As far as I am concerned, I am not sure how I got along without it before I had the thing.

Mine was a porter cable, and I bought it for under $600 shipped to my door new ~4 years ago (they were running a special on shipping, and it only cost me $5.00 - that incentive died with the 2008 gas spike).

Do I wish I had bought an 80gal unit? Sure, who doesn't. But I will say that the 60 gal unit has done everything I have asked it to do and did not break the bank. If you are using multiple tools at once, get the 80. But if its a home shop, I think you might be hard pressed to need more then a 60.
sean_v8_914
good advice already given
the prices you are talking about are too high for a single stage 60 ga. I paid $200 for mine, slightly used. I can score a speedaire 2 stage 80 ga for under 750
rfuerst911sc
Great advice I think for now I will keep what I have. I have been watching Craigslist to see what's available used. I can probably pick up a 2 stage for a decent price. I'm in no hurry. Thanks guys.
ME733
....Whatever compressor you decide to get...GET ONE with a CAST IRON (compression) HEAD.
Jake Raby
The rule I have learned with compressors is always buy more than you currently need.. Otherwise you will need more fairly quickly. In the shop I just finished for our R&D and exhaust work I bought the biggest Ingersoll -Rand available and it probably also won't be big enough in a year or two!
charliew
My old employer had some big ingersol rands. 2 250 hp ones and a 300 hp and a old 150 hp. Huck mfg. now alcoa international.
rfuerst911sc
Found a local compressor used. Here is what I know after talking to the guy on the phone.

Kellog American brand compressor
5 hp single phase 220v motor
2 stage pump
60 gallon tank
asking price is 450.00 but I think he'd take less, maybe 400.00.
The seller say's he got this from a friends estate, he now has two so selling the one. He stated he recently replaced bearings and it runs fine with no issues. I did a search on these and they are built like a tank. Looks like original price new was over $2000.00. What do you guys think ? He said I can hear it run when I come to look at it.
carr914
Rick, 1st I would wait til you get to Atlanta to do this, You don't want to haul one of these.

I don't know about used confused24.gif

As a reference my 60 Gallon 2 Stage Craftsman was a marked down floor model. I bought it with a 5 year Warranty for $405 only a couple of years ago. One warranty claim gave me a new motor ( over $700 in full covered repairs). I like having a warranty.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 7 2010, 03:38 PM) *

Rick, 1st I would wait til you get to Atlanta to do this, You don't want to haul one of these.

I don't know about used confused24.gif

As a reference my 60 Gallon 2 Stage Craftsman was a marked down floor model. I bought it with a 5 year Warranty for $405 only a couple of years ago. One warranty claim gave me a new motor ( over $700 in full covered repairs). I like having a warranty.

TC the good news is the movers would deal with it not me. They even said they would move my scissor lift. I'm just gathering information at this point in time. I don't fear buying excellent quality used vs. inferior quality new. As they say they don't make them like they used to but your point is well taken.
Mark Henry
If used find a good American (or Canadian) built one. Deals can be had. New ones made in China are crap.
My compressior is WW2 surplus, 5HP 240v dual stage cast iron everything 160 imperial gallons. I've had it since 1988, bought it at action for a couple hundred bucks.

It's about half the size of a 914 laugh.gif
914xprs
drunk.gif
i have a speedaire compressor pump with 5 hp 3 phase brand new motor(BALDOR)
rTech specs:

Item: Electric Air Compressor

Type: Two Stage Stationary

Pump Type: Pressure Lubricated

HP: 5

Max. Pressure (PSI): 175

Free Air CFM @ 175 PSI: 16.5

Free Air CFM @ Max. Pressure: 16.5

Voltage: 208/230/460

Phase 3 Amps AC: 14/13.8/6.9

Tank (Gal.): 80

Tank Type: Vertical

(F)NPT Outlet (In.): 1/2

Duty Cycle: 80/20

RPM: 710

On Pressure Switch Setting: 140

Off Pressure Switch Setting: 175

Enclosure: NEMA

Control: Dual

Motor Type: Open Dripproof

Length (In.): 30 1/2

Width (In.): 24

Height (In.): 76

Includes: Initial fill of Heavy Duty Compressor Oil

Oil Capacity (Qt.): 2
recently rebuilt and comes with both compressor pump, baldor motor, paid 487.00 for with maybee 10 hrs on the motor. if that, both pulleys/sieves and belt guard.
no tank
this is for sale @ $700.00 obo.
thank you
trb porsche 914 bootyshake.gif birthday3.gif parts and cars

THIS ITEM USUALLY SHIPS WITHIN 10 BUSINESS DAYS

YOU MUST PROVIDE US WITH A CONTACT PHONE NUMBER BEFORE THIS ITEM CAN BE SHIPPED.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.