Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No Fuel Past the Pressure regulator? Help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
74 2.0

I installed a new fuel pump and it pump fuel all the way up to the pressure regulator but non comes out the Regulator.... Regulator is fairly new and was working prior to engine dissamantle, basically the regulator has been dry for months..

What do I do from here to confirm it is the regulator? Can I adjust it to make it flow? Could it be something to do with the check valve at the fuel pump? How do I check the check valve?? Thanks,... Stuck on Stupid..
tod914
You can check the regulator with a mityvac. Attach to where the fuel input side is and pump it till it starts to release pressure. Will give a good idea where the pressure is set at.
swl
not likely that the regulator would fail just because it has been dry for months. Have you put a fuel pressure guage on it to see how much pressure is being developed? Could be that the new fuel pump isn't generating enough pressure to open the valve?
tod914
Just out of curiosity, where did you get the new pump? I purchased one from fuelpumpking on Ebay, and it was a Bosch knock off made in China. Wasn't easy to figure out it was the wrong pump until it started leaking. Not sure if this will help you or not, but when I put my rebuilt pump back on, I ran it directly from the car battery for about 10 seconds for it prime and build up pressure. Works great.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(swl @ Jul 5 2010, 03:36 PM) *

not likely that the regulator would fail just because it has been dry for months. Have you put a fuel pressure guage on it to see how much pressure is being developed? Could be that the new fuel pump isn't generating enough pressure to open the valve?

How could I put a fuel pressure gauge on it if there is no fuel? Do you mean on the fuel pump??
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 5 2010, 03:40 PM) *

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the new pump? I purchased one from fuelpumpking on Ebay, and it was a Bosch knock off made in China. Wasn't easy to figure out it was the wrong pump until it started leaking.

Puerto Rico.. All the markings and #'s are exact, it is pumping fuel and is not leaking.. but I do not know how much fuel a fuel pump pumps..
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jul 5 2010, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(swl @ Jul 5 2010, 03:36 PM) *

How could I put a fuel pressure gauge on it if there is no fuel? Do you mean on the fuel pump??

You must measure the pressure at the input of the pressure regulator. Is the pump running? Turn the key on for several seconds, turn off and back on again. Repeat several times.
swl
What Mark said. either in line between the driver rail and the regulator or if you have the right fittings there is a tit with a bolt in it on the driver rail that is intended to patch in the guage.

The chinese pumps apparently have the delivery and return fittings reversed. They have the correct numbers but they are seriously fubar. That winds up with you pumping into the gas tank rather than the passenger fuel rail.
SLITS
You could possibly have the regulator piped backwards.
tod914
routing at regulator..

Click to view attachment

detoxcowboy
Holy shit!! I have my feed and return lines backassed, I had my entire car apart to pistons.. everrything was off or out for paint.. damn todd you made my day!! I will try it now..
tod914
Joe think we all have done that at one time or another. Here's Dave D's diagram. Should help clear things up. Glad we could help and resolve your issue.

Click to view attachment

detoxcowboy
drunk.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif It runs, That was it.. I remeber the fuel lines from on top but it was underneath I screwed up! I did some welding and had the car painted and put a new shelf on that side and just plum missed it on the re con.,,.. Thanks tod, you reminded me ..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.