Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Signal Flasher/LED Malfunction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
edrotol
My 76 2.0 always had the green flasher signal in the tach instrument flash on and off, on and off, on an doff, etc when making a turn. No problem until below.

After replacing all of the bulbs - except the backup bulb - with LED's - the same green flasher only comes on when I activate the signal lever down or up but doesn't do the on and off thing - flash - while I am turning.

Did changing to LED's do anything to the circuit? Is there another reason? Bad relay? (If so, why does it come on but not flash).
mipstien
if its the same as on some motorcycles it causes the voltage to increase at the dash light and makes it stay on all the time. increase only because there is less voltage for the led's and not enough resistance at the dash bulb
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(edrotol @ Jul 5 2010, 06:02 PM) *

My 76 2.0 always had the green flasher signal in the tach instrument flash on and off, on and off, on an doff, etc when making a turn. No problem until below.

After replacing all of the bulbs - except the backup bulb - with LED's - the same green flasher only comes on when I activate the signal lever down or up but doesn't do the on and off thing - flash - while I am turning.

Did changing to LED's do anything to the circuit? Is there another reason? Bad relay? (If so, why does it come on but not flash).

The flasher relay internally is two relays and a circuit board. Your LED's have damaged the relay. It happened to mine. The big problem is the replacement relays will not work with led's and will flash fast, just like a blown bulb. Ultimately, the relay's "flash" is triggered by current/amprege through the relay. LED's do not consume enough to trigger the relay properley. Even if you install the old bulbs, the relay will no longer flash the indicator. All is not totally lost if you don't mind a little rewiring.

You will need 2 diodes and 2 jumper wires. the 2 jumper wires will connect to the Hazard switch, terminals L & R (black/white & black/green). each wire will go to a diode. The diode stripe will face away from the Hazard switch. the stripe side of the diodes will both connect to the indicator lamp. The diodes will allow power to go to the indicator and not back to the other signal lamp.
detoxcowboy
Just 2 cents.. I switched over to led and had not a problem..
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jul 5 2010, 08:03 PM) *

Just 2 cents.. I switched over to led and had not a problem..

Mine did not have a problem for two months. Then the dash indicator stopped flashing. It lights up at first with switch movement but goes out and wont flash. I purchased a new replacement flasher and it would not work with the LED's. Consider yourself lucky if yours still works.
orange914
i don't get the have to have l.e.d. thing, to me they may seem a tad britter up close, but look at them verses correct new o.e. from any short of distance they really don't match intensity/visability(?). is it me?

older fords used different color flashers depending on the model (different light amperage loads). maybe you can swap around different (non h.d.) flashers
buhs914
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 5 2010, 09:03 PM) *

i don't get the have to have l.e.d. thing, to me they may seem a tad britter up close, but look at them verses correct new o.e. from any short of distance they really don't match intensity/visability(?). is it me?

older fords used different color flashers depending on the model (different light amperage loads). maybe you can swap around different (non h.d.) flashers

I redid my rear turn signal bulbs with LEDs and it did increase their brightness. I also used red LEDs and with the all red & white American lenses it looks pretty cool. It gave the red a deeper color rather than the more orange-ish tint the incandescents gave it.

Oh btw I've had no problems after switching the bulbs to LEDs..
orange914
QUOTE(buhs914 @ Jul 5 2010, 09:08 PM) *

I redid my rear turn signal bulbs with LEDs and it did increase their brightness. I also used red LEDs and with the all red & white American lenses it looks pretty cool. It gave the red a deeper color rather than the more orange-ish tint the incandescents gave it.

i like the red idea... did they flash fast?
Mikey914
They will flash faster without a low load relay.
buhs914
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 6 2010, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(buhs914 @ Jul 5 2010, 09:08 PM) *

i like the red idea... did they flash fast?

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 6 2010, 10:04 PM) *

They will flash faster without a low load relay.

Yeah they do flash a little faster. But it doesn't bother me haha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.