Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: faint white smoke after tear down and no start 4 mo..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
74 2.0

I am getting faint white smoke, aparently fairly small amount from what seems like drivers side heat exhanger Area maybe or just the exhaust.. Engine was out of car and not started for 4 months.. Basically everything was down and parted for awhile..

No sound of exhaust leak, slight valve adjust probably need as I adjusted out of car and may have been off slightly..

What is white smoke, condensation or bad seal at heat exchanger to cylinder head?
VaccaRabite
Run it hard for 20 minutes or so just to make sure you have burned off any contaminates from storage.

See if that ends the smoke problem.

I highly doubt that having the engine out of the car would cause you to do a bad valve adjustment. So much easier with the engine out.

PS, white smoke is coolant. Might have a busted head gasket. poke.gif

Zach
silver74insocal
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 5 2010, 08:37 PM) *

Run it hard for 20 minutes or so just to make sure you have burned off any contaminates from storage.

See if that ends the smoke problem.

I highly doubt that having the engine out of the car would cause you to do a bad valve adjustment. So much easier with the engine out.

PS, white smoke is coolant. Might have a busted head gasket. poke.gif

Zach

lol-2.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Naaaaahhhhh. White smoke means they've elected a new Pope.

The Cap'n
ME733
.Probably.....after your car sat for ..4...months...the water in the gas tank has settled to the bottom of the tank.(water from the alcohol allowed to be mixed..about 10% by volume.)....I have found ,with my street cars, the best solution is to let it idle for about 10-15 minutes.This burns off the heaver water ,bottom of tank.....The white smoke is water...If you drive the car the alcohol/water will remix.I do not recommend driving it hard until 1. you burn off the water, or 2. you drain off the water....the lower octaine (with the heavy water content) could damage the engine if reved up.....You could disconnect an engine bay fuel line....pump out gas in a clear container until the "bubbles of water" settle., could take at least a gallon.(10% volume) or whatever from gas tank.
charliew
Or shake the crap out of the car to mix the fuel and let it idle till it clears up then go get some good gas and put some gas additive in with it.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 7 2010, 04:00 PM) *

Or shake the crap out of the car to mix the fuel and let it idle till it clears up then go get some good gas and put some gas additive in with it.

The 2nd time I idled it, the next day, it was gone.. Gas is fresh and always premium.. Gas tank had been out of car and the heat exchangers had been off awhile too..

I just get hyper sensitive after I pull everything apart and re-assemble especially the cylinder heads.. Pklus I put alot of new parts/seals ect..
914xprs
JOE,
THAT IS NOT A PROBLEM.....I KNOW YOU ARE PROBABLY GETTING CLOSE TO BEING DONE....BRO, JUST DRIVE THE CAR TO MY HOUSE...THE WHITE SMOKE MEANS BUD LIGHT... MY 71 USED TO SMOKE,,,THEN I WOULD HAVE A BEER...OR 2.. OR MAYBEE 6... BUT THEN MY CAR RAN GREAT AND DIDNT SMOKE AT ALL... AND ALL THE UGLY WOMEN WERE HOT ALL THE SUDDEN..
TALK TO YOU LATTER
TERRY drunk.gif
realred914
QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 7 2010, 04:00 PM) *

shake for one minute after you hear the ball rattle in the gas tank. Continue to shake periodically during use.

run it a bit more to see if it clears up, if you doubt teh valve adjustment is right, then re-do it beofre driving it.

detoxcowboy
QUOTE(914xprs @ Jul 11 2010, 09:39 AM) *

JOE,
THAT IS NOT A PROBLEM.....I KNOW YOU ARE PROBABLY GETTING CLOSE TO BEING DONE....BRO, JUST DRIVE THE CAR TO MY HOUSE...THE WHITE SMOKE MEANS BUD LIGHT... MY 71 USED TO SMOKE,,,THEN I WOULD HAVE A BEER...OR 2.. OR MAYBEE 6... BUT THEN MY CAR RAN GREAT AND DIDNT SMOKE AT ALL... AND ALL THE UGLY WOMEN WERE HOT ALL THE SUDDEN..
TALK TO YOU LATTER
TERRY drunk.gif

i am coming soon..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.