Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
My first layer of base coat has shown up some scratches right in the center front of the hood. This is the first layer of base. Will additional coats of base "fill" or hide the scratches? Or should i sand them out before adding more paint?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
detoxcowboy
I would take them out now while on your first coat, because if they still show after subsequent coats it will be more work to get them out at that time.. Good thing you noticed them now..
jeffdon
Yeah, kinda what i have been thinking. Working from home today, so I think I will sneak out and wet sand them. Funny, I figured when i found these, the rest of the car would be loaded with them, but thats not proven to be the case, thank god. Rest of the car is looking good, but now is not the time to get smug. Plenty to screw up still.
Click to view attachment

charliew
Sand them out but don't wait too long, most base coats need the top clear put on within about 24 hr or less to work right. If thats silver you won't be able to do any sanding on the final base coat or it will show up. It might be the picture but it looks like a low place on the inside of the front fender by the hood seal channel in the last picture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.