Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering column drip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
On hot days,

grease drips from my steering column and runs down the bracket and drips on my pants leg.

Anyone else have this issue?
914Sixer
Did you repack the lower steering column bearing? If so was it high temp wheel bearing grease?
ericread
Are you sure it's grease? Remember that the windshield washer hoses route through the steering wheel assembly. If the hoses crack or break, adnything in the hose may be dripping out.

Eric Read
dflesburg
I have an early 911 column.

No water or washer fluid in there.

I dont know what kind of grease I used all those years ago.
EdwardBlume
My old '78 Celica used to dump on my socks over the miles...

The rotation of the speedo cable was "pumping" fluid up the cable and off the back of the instrument....

Lost a lot of good socks... but I was "young"...

Not likely from the 914 tho....
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 6 2010, 12:48 PM) *

Wanna bet? Happened to me. Lost 3 pair of slacks fore I figured it out. A leak in the speedo drive shaft seal will wick oil all the up to the dash.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jul 6 2010, 10:54 AM) *

Wanna bet? Happened to me. Lost 3 pair of slacks fore I figured it out. A leak in the speedo drive shaft seal will wick oil all the up to the dash.

REALLY? popcorn[1].gif

Go figure... I would expect it to leak out somewhere in line on the way... likely under the engine...

TheCabinetmaker
Why? The cable is sheathed from end to end.
dflesburg
so the speedo cable pulls oil from the transmission all the way up to the speedometer?
TheCabinetmaker
Yes it can. Similar to a wick on an old lantern. Can only happen with a bad leak from the o ring on the drive gear
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jul 6 2010, 10:54 AM) *

I never messed my pants, but did notice whilst under the steering column same "oily situation", twas the speedo cable...74 2.0
TheCabinetmaker

when I changed that cable I hung it up vertically and a half pint of trans oil ran out over night.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.