Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Mirror Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Found this at the last G & R swapmeet and finally got it mounted. Definately get views out the passenger side that were never available. Downside is the vibration in the mirror, it needs a support in the middle to the glass or up to the original RVM attachment---just needs some dampening.

This wink is 33" long and the mounts lined up with the outer sunvisor holes. I see Pegagus Racing has a 36" mirror and different mounting set up

BigDBass
Looks good, but doesn't it block your view of the soccer mom's SUV brake lights in front of you? biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jul 6 2010, 12:51 PM) *

Looks good, but doesn't it block your view of the soccer mom's SUV brake lights in front of you? biggrin.gif

No, but if you are taller than 6', it becomes more of an issue as the mirror has to be lowered. If you're 5'6 or less, the mirror can be raised for a better view. Still getting used to it.
Tom_T
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jul 6 2010, 12:51 PM) *

Nah - he doesn't notice cuz it gives him too good a view back to the babes in bikinis, living at the beach as he does! shades.gif blink.gif drooley.gif wub.gif

Hey Jim, you need to fit one of these stickers into one of those mirror frames, in order to make it "official"! laugh.gif

http://www.automotion.com/product.asp?pf%5...;dept%5Fid=4077

w00t.gif
jt914-6
I've had one just like it (5 panel) for many years. You can see great!!!! I mounted mine using the sun visor holes too. I've got it mounted as high as it will go. I did find out though that with a helment on you can't see behind you to the left if a car is passing you at a DE. I didn't like not being able to see so I mounted a mirror I had to a 1/8" lexan that I made for the driver's side. I didn't plan on mounting mirrors on the doors of my car, but had to on the left side. It is eaisly removed and orignal glass reinstalled.....a couple of pics of my door mirror.....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Too cool Tom...
Mike Bellis
Jim, I would recommend fabing a center bracket to bolt on the Top. I've had mine for a couple of years and the entire thing is sagging in the center over 1/2 inch. The heat in norcal is all it takes, a few times parking it outside.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 6 2010, 05:16 PM) *

Jim, I would recommend fabing a center bracket to bolt on the Top. I've had mine for a couple of years and the entire thing is sagging in the center over 1/2 inch. The heat in norcal is all it takes, a few times parking it outside.

I agree. I would like to have a short piece connect the front side ( or top ) of the mirror to the original rear view mirror attachement point. This would eliminate the vibration and prevent sagging. I'm unsure what it should look like...
KaptKaos
I've had a wink that I have been trying to sell. Maybe I should mount it. It has brackets for the sun visor mounts. Hmmm.....
jim_hoyland
[i]
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jul 6 2010, 09:28 PM) *

I've had a wink that I have been trying to sell. Maybe I should mount it. It has brackets for the sun visor mounts. Hmmm.....

Joe, One nice thing is eliminating the need for a passenger side door mirror. Takes a few drives to get used to it. :ike I said, there is some vibration issues, but a support in the middle should cure that.

Jim,

In the pic above you have the stock mirror....
What did you use to remove it??

I am ready to put my 'Wink' in permantly but need to remove the stock one and am very afraid of breakin the front window....

Thx for a reply from you or anyone for that matter..Not a total hijack!!
Ken
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jul 7 2010, 10:52 AM) *

Jim,

In the pic above you have the stock mirror....
What did you use to remove it??

I am ready to put my 'Wink' in permantly but need to remove the stock one and am very afraid of breakin the front window....

Thx for a reply from you or anyone for that matter..Not a total hijack!!
Ken

Ken, Those come off pretty easy. A little laquer thinner, or GoofOff, and a razor blade. Just take it slow. That mirror was replaced with one of Dr Evils mirrors that attach directly to the center sunvisor post.
The picture was taken at the Porsche Swap Meet several years ago; that KaptKaos standing in front.
McMark
Hey! I gotz one of those!
My wink mirror install.

IPB Image
jim_hoyland

Jim, I would recommend fabing a center bracket to bolt on the Top.

Made the braket today, eliminates most of the vibration..... smile.gif
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 7 2010, 06:21 PM) *

Jim, I would recommend fabing a center bracket to bolt on the Top.

Made the braket today, eliminates most of the vibration..... smile.gif

Pics of bracket??

popcorn[1].gif
jim_hoyland
Pics of bracket. Cut it out of aluminum and bent to shape needed for my view settings. Top attaches where the RVM was. Still trying to reduce the residual vibration, any suggestion how to dampen the remaining vibration.... smile.gif
Nice, Jim......

I have used two zip ties around the mirror. It helped the vibration quite a bit...

Ken
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jul 10 2010, 08:01 AM) *

Nice, Jim......

I have used two zip ties around the mirror. It helped the vibration quite a bit...

Ken

A quick search on "Rally Wink Mirror" shows that you can buy new side hardware kits for about $9 from a Golf Cart site; and adjustible mounting brackets that attach the wink mirror to the windshield from Pegasus Racing.The back side of the wink mirror has two threaded parts about 12" apart for the glass-to-mirror mounts

I didn't want any attachments going to the glass, so the bracket. Everything has been disassembled and being painted this am.
DanT
have you considered some rubber at each end of your new bracket to help cushion the vibration?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(DanT @ Jul 10 2010, 08:50 AM) *

have you considered some rubber at each end of your new bracket to help cushion the vibration?

Good suggestion ! Just cut some rubber for each end and the middle--Thanks smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.