Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me install my front bearing caps!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kpfoten

Hi--

I installed new Zimmermann discs in the front and I can't get the darn caps back on! I've been hammering with a rubber mallet and it goes on cockeyed--I can't seem to get it on straight--help!

Kris
SirAndy
QUOTE(kpfoten @ Jul 6 2010, 05:06 PM) *
I installed new Zimmermann discs in the front and I can't get the darn caps back on! I've been hammering with a rubber mallet and it goes on cockeyed--I can't seem to get it on straight--help!

Turn the wheel slowly while carefully hammering on the cap. It'll seat ...

smash.gif Andy
kpfoten
ugh... I've tried everything, even heat to try to expand the cap! It just goes on crooked each time. sad.gif I'm afraid I'm denting my caps now...

rjames
QUOTE(kpfoten @ Jul 6 2010, 07:14 PM) *

ugh... I've tried everything, even heat to try to expand the cap! It just goes on crooked each time. sad.gif I'm afraid I'm denting my caps now...

I heated mine up with a torch. One went on smoothly after that. The other less so, but it did go on- albeit with a small dent. dry.gif
VaccaRabite
Yup. Heated mine with a MAPP torch. Went on real smooth. Course, ambient temps at the time were just above freezing, so heating them gave me a nice temp delta between the two parts.

When both parts were cold, I could not get them to go on.
kpfoten

Thanks--I'll get the MAPP going tomorrow! I thought about hitting the hub with some refridgerant spray that I use at my office but I wasn't sure how much that would help...
76-914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 6 2010, 07:34 PM) *

Yup. Heated mine with a MAPP torch. Went on real smooth. Course, ambient temps at the time were just above freezing, so heating them gave me a nice temp delta between the two parts.

When both parts were cold, I could not get them to go on.

agree.gif I used a heat gun vs the torch w/ the same results.
kpfoten

Update: The MAPP took care of business! Unfortunately, I couldn't seat one of the caps (as far as I can tell)all the way because I dented it too much previously and it seemed to rub with the nut underneath it. The rim seems to clear it all so I guess I'll leave it alone. Hopefully there won't be too much dust getting under there...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.