Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steve McQueen's LeMans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
john914/4
I have watched the Steve McQueen movie lemans many times and just noticed the 914 in the opening segment of the start. after they show the start and the prototypes they show a segmet of the rest of the field and I do believe i see a 914 or 2. am i wrong and if not who's the car belong to. and is there photo's.
70_914
The movie was filmed during the actual race. There were several 914/6 cars entered in the 1970 Le Mans race, but the 914/6 driven by Ballot-Le/Chasseuil finished 6th overall. Here it is...
70_914
Click to view attachment

This one is a little better. Pictues from 1970 are not the best...
70_914
Click to view attachment
biggrin.gif
70_914
Click to view attachment

Gustl
here are some screenshots from the movie

URY914
Click to view attachment
john914/4
QUOTE(70_914 @ Jul 7 2010, 09:04 AM) *

thanks for the info and photo's. that is really cool.
john914/4
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 7 2010, 09:36 AM) *

that is really cool. is your car the one that raced lemans?
URY914
QUOTE(john914/4 @ Jul 9 2010, 12:59 PM) *

MY car at LeMans? lol-2.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 9 2010, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(john914/4 @ Jul 9 2010, 12:59 PM) *

MY car at LeMans? lol-2.gif

Why is that a silly question? You're old enough poke.gif lol-2.gif
carr914
Click to view attachment
Silverstreak
Check out my avatar. Can anyone tell me what race that picture is taken from? unsure.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Jul 9 2010, 04:48 PM) *

Check out my avatar. Can anyone tell me what race that picture is taken from? unsure.gif

Yes I can, the 86 hour 1970 Nurburgring Marathon de la Route
Nicke Nilsson
Nicke Nilsson
...Moore...
Nicke Nilsson
Not 914 but MQueen and Maestro...
Nicke Nilsson
Back to nr 40
Silverstreak
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 9 2010, 09:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Jul 9 2010, 04:48 PM) *

Yes I can, the 86 hour 1970 Nurburgring Marathon de la Route

Thanks and HOLY CRAP! 86 HRS!?
Gustl
QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Jul 18 2010, 08:53 PM) *

yupp - here's the race poster ...

URY914
Wolfgang,

Do you know any other details about the 86 hour race?
How many cars entered?
Number of drivers?
Number of miles driver?
Was it 86 hours all at once?
etc?
etc?
etc?

confused24.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 18 2010, 11:59 PM) *

yupp - of course

do a search on google (or similar)

a couple of years back I found a page with lots of infos on this race (and the other years - IIRC it was 84 hrs in the earlier years)
copersucar
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 19 2010, 05:59 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 18 2010, 11:59 PM) *

yupp - of course

do a search on google (or similar)

a couple of years back I found a page with lots of infos on this race (and the other years - IIRC it was 84 hrs in the earlier years)

Hello friends,

Here in Europe the race was also called "1000 Km of the Nürnburgring"..I bought this Belgian car magazine some years ago..It had a nice centerfold of the #1 winning car of Larrousse/Marko/Haldi..

Alex.
copersucar
Click to view attachment

..looks even better if I insert the pictures..Doohh.. blink.gif

Alex.
copersucar
Click to view attachment

..and the poster...

Alex.
Nicke Nilsson
Also running at "Du" Mans..
URY914
Thank you!!!
Mark Henry
In that last pic the BP billboard is leaking oil.

smile.gif
Silverstreak
Just incredible. I can't imagine a race that long. 24 hrs is wild enough and on The Ring of all places.
copersucar
QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Jul 23 2010, 06:37 AM) *

Just incredible. I can't imagine a race that long. 24 hrs is wild enough and on The Ring of all places.

Exactly,incredible..thats the reason why they nicknamed him
"Die curvenmeister"..! WTF.gif = the bend master ! smilie_pokal.gif

Alex.
copersucar
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
QUOTE(copersucar @ Jul 23 2010, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Jul 23 2010, 06:37 AM) *

Exactly,incredible..thats the reason why they nicknamed him
"Die curvenmeister"..! WTF.gif = the bend master ! smilie_pokal.gif

Alex.

Mark Henry
The GT lid on that 2nd last pic is a bit different, built in rain hats?
Gustl
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 23 2010, 03:38 PM) *

The GT lid on that 2nd last pic is a bit different, built in rain hats?

yupp - that's it

same here

Click to view attachment

(factory GT #983)

and here

Click to view attachment

(Strähle GT)

beerchug.gif
914_teener
Very cool pictures!
1970 Neun vierzehn
For the movie LeMans, Solar Productions had a 914 built up as a stand-in for 914/6 GT No. 40. In the movie, when actual race footage was used, you will notice that the original #40 has a red surround on the perimeter of the windshield (red duct tape perhaps?), whereas the stand-in used for movie filming purposes does not have the red windshield surround. You will notice that some of the photos on this thread depict this discrepency. Archival color photos of the actual race also show the red band around the windshield.

The 914 "stand-in" used by Solar Productions was converted by Franco Sbarro's garage in the Swiss town of Yverdon.

I wonder where the 914 "stunt double" is these days? idea.gif
carr914
Are you sure that Solar made a replica and not that Sbarro prepped the real car without the Red Duct Tape. It seems a little far-fetched that McQueen would use Real 917s & 512s and a 914-6GT Clone

The only cars that I know that were fakes is the the 917 in the crash sequence (it was a Lola with a 917 Body) and the 512 that went thru the billboard (a tube frame chassis with 512 body work)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 15 2010, 02:29 PM) *

Are you sure that Solar made a replica and not that Sbarro prepped the real car without the Red Duct Tape. It seems a little far-fetched that McQueen would use Real 917s & 512s and a 914-6GT Clone

The only cars that I know that were fakes is the the 917 in the crash sequence (it was a Lola with a 917 Body) and the 512 that went thru the billboard (a tube frame chassis with 512 body work)

This is from the book A French Kiss with Death "In the next two weeks Jo (Siffert) and Paul (Blancpain, Seppi's Swiss business partner) bought four Porsche 911s, a Porsche 914, two Chevron B19 coupes, and a Corvette. As soon as they were purchased, the cars were delivered to Franco Sbarro's garage in the Swiss town of Yverdon, where fender flares were added, roll bars installed, and other modifications made to transform street cars into passable race cars."

a couple paragraphs later....
"On top of that (Siffert's rental fees), the fact that the cars had been used in the film gave them a certain cachet, allowing Jo to sell them for inflated prices after the (film) production was completed."

Paul
bruinbro
Glad I found this thread. Just finished watching the movie for the umpteenth time. A replica 917 is in my future.

BTW, anyone notice that it was almost always a 914 that was passed? My takeaway was that these cars are very durable.
wes
Good read and photos, thanks!
ottox914
Fun thread. I need to watch that movie again. Its been to long since the last viewing.
914sgofast2
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Oct 27 2016, 08:40 AM) *

Fun thread. I need to watch that movie again. Its been to long since the last viewing.

Me too! The scene at the start of the race with the heartbeat sound track followed by the engines starting up is the most exciting scene of the entire movie!
wndsrfr
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Oct 31 2018, 09:20 AM) *

QUOTE(ottox914 @ Oct 27 2016, 08:40 AM) *

Me too! The scene at the start of the race with the heartbeat sound track followed by the engines starting up is the most exciting scene of the entire movie!

I watched it again this summer....what really stood out to me was the very slow "tonk...tonk...tonk...tonk" of the wheel change air wrenches during the pit stops...slower than the driver's heartbeat while waiting....waiting.....waiting...
CCE
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 18 2010, 03:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Jul 18 2010, 08:53 PM) *

yupp - here's the race poster ...

Wow! Never heard of an 86 hour race, if any car finishes it deserves a medal! Impressive
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.