Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor check
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john914/4
I have pulled the 1.7 motor from my 1970 914 parts car and am wanting to install it in my 72 as I rebuild its motor. my question is could I start this motor out of the car and setting on a stand. I have no purpose built stand for motors and I figure a batt. hook the fuel pump up and wire the dist. and crank it. what ya think? I have no idea of the condition of this motor and want to check it out before I install it in my car. It has 40 weber carbs.
Cupomeat
Yes, certainly it has been done many time to bench test a motor.

Make sure the stand/cradle has enough strength and out rigging to handle the axial torque of a motor accelerating (no load, just rotational mass) and be careful with the gas.

I'll see if there are any obvious youtube links as to this sort of thing, which I know there are.
BK911
Hmm, I would probably just do a leak down test.
Ericv1
QUOTE(john914/4 @ Jul 7 2010, 11:35 AM) *

I have pulled the 1.7 motor from my 1970 914 parts car and am wanting to install it in my 72 as I rebuild its motor. my question is could I start this motor out of the car and setting on a stand. I have no purpose built stand for motors and I figure a batt. hook the fuel pump up and wire the dist. and crank it. what ya think? I have no idea of the condition of this motor and want to check it out before I install it in my car. It has 40 weber carbs.

I wouldn't put it on the gorund and just start it it. A bench could be be cheaply made and it would be much safer. If it has carbs, it wouldn't be that much more trouble than to just install it in the car and try to fire it up.
john914/4
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 7 2010, 08:02 AM) *

Yes, certainly it has been done many time to bench test a motor.

Make sure the stand/cradle has enough strength and out rigging to handle the axial torque of a motor accelerating (no load, just rotational mass) and be careful with the gas.

I'll see if there are any obvious youtube links as to this sort of thing, which I know there are.

thanks for your info I thought it would work but you never know. I was not planning to run it long or fast just see if it starts and see how it runs. I noticed a couple crk's in the middle of the top case and am worried about them as well. I hate to put it in the car and its junk. as well as I don't have a clue if the cars wiring is good at this point.
TheCabinetmaker
Them ain't cracks. Them's casting marks. Seriously, post some pics of the "cracks".

ME733
maybe this can give you an idea..........years ago when I purchased engine cores, some were complete enough to test. I did this by using an OLD TIRE as the soft mount cradle...had a section of 3/4 inch plywood cut to avoid the engine sump. and large enough to generiously span the OLD TIRE....with the trans still attached (or you could cut away a trans case leaving the starter mounting and case mounting alone.)...two or three OLD TIRES could work......use a long fuel line and an electric pump, with requlator. get the fuel system in front of the engine and far away. with a battery and a little creative wiring (heavy guage for the starter)....and some toggle switches, etc......you'll have a test stand. and it'll be close to the floor where you and it are safest.
VaccaRabite
This was a test stand I made.
IPB Image

It was made from 1/2" plywood, and a few 2x4, and some scrap 4x4 from another project. I also put rollers on it so I could move it around my shop.

You will note that the center is hollow. This was so I could roll the stand under my car, put my floor jack under it, and directly lift my engine into place.

Dash wiring was simple. I just put on a cheap tach from FLAPS. the circuit to the ignition and fuel pump was seperate from the starter. This was so I could turn the motor over to get oil circulated before starting it. The bar on the dashboard was there as I was going to add throttle control. But I got lazy, and just wanted to run the motor, so I didn't.

Worked like a charm.

In this video you can see more of how the stand supported the engine. Very simple, very effective.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vacca_rabite/...in/set-1537526/

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.